4 Month Old Baby Hair Falling Out

I have a 4 month old baby girl and i've been noticing that her hair is falling out mainly on the sides and some up top. Her scalp is very dry up top and i just put vaseline on it to try to help it. Is this common or could there potentially be a problem? Please help.

Aveeno has a really good cradle's cap shampoo especially for babies. While neither of my babies' hair fell out when they were infants, they both had cradle's cap and I found this product to be excellent.

It is totally normal for a baby to lose the hair they were born with. She may lose it all or just some before her new hair grows back in, and it may not fill back in for even a year or more. For a scaly scalp my pediatrician recommended a little dandruff shampoo- it works wonders- just be careful to not get it in her eyes.

Babies go through different changes and no matter how we would love them to stay that same little cozy baby their bodies also make adjustments. Don't worry too much. Continue doing your best if the doctor doesn't have any concerns then she's okay. Take plenty pictures before you know it both of you will be laughing at the way her hair came out in spots.

It is very normal for a baby's hair to fall out. It could be that your baby is losing its baby hair and getting the more permanent hair. Also, the dry spots on your babies head is called cradles cap. A good way to get rid of it is to carefully wash those spots with a dandruff shampoo every other day and hopefully it will alleviate some of the flaking. Baby oil or olive oil are also good things to put on the cradle cap spot.

My son is 2 years old now and when he was about 3 or 4 months old he had the same problem. I bought the Gentle Naturals Cradle Cap Treatment and used it on him. It's nothing to worry about, in time it will go away. My son's hair fell out within about 3 months and came in blond.

I'd ban the Vaseline from the nursery. It's petroleum based (AKA gasoline). I found Burt's Bee's Almond Oil to be a good product for the dry scalp. I'd comb it in and get the cradle cap off my sons' scalps. You can't do anything about the hair loss. It's from hormonal changes in the baby. Her hair will grow back on its own. Both of these things are common in babies her age.

I think this is normal, most babies lose their hair. If you think there is something to cause concern, then bring it up with your pediatrician at her next well check.

My son who is 21 months now lost his thick straight dark brown hair that he had had since birth at 4 months, and like you, I got extremely worried! My husband said he looked like a little monk :) Don't worry though! It is normal! My son's hair grew back golden blonde and curly!!! :) No worries! The last 2 years of his (and my) life has been full of changes and discoveries, but before you panic, call your doctor and they can always put your mind at ease or let you know when there is a problem. God bless you and your little one!

1 / 3