3 Year Old Obsessed with Basketball

I am not sure if this is normal...my son (3 years old) has become obsessed with basketball. He loves it, and will play from the minute he wakes until bedtime. He even watches basketball games on TV (and will play along with the players, with his net). I try to get him involved with other activities (play doh, coloring, etc.,), but he is not interested. Also, he is only interested in movies and shows that have basketball in them (HS Musical, Air Bud). My question is a two parter: 1) is this normal for a 3 year old, and 2) should I limit his basketball-playing time?

You may be raising the next Michael Jordon. Be grateful he is being active and getting exercise. He could be obsessed with video games.

My 3 year old daugther loves playing with dolls. I do not limit her time or her curiousity.. she went through a phase last year of loving the Grinch (Jim Carey version) she wanted to watch it every day. So she did. She got more movies and eventually wanted to watch those too. She grew out of it.

I think it is great that your son wants to do something active! So many kids want to sit in front of the TV and do nothing all day!

Being obsessed is an ordinary kid thing... all the jokes about the batman pjs you can't get off the kid to wash and about kids sleeping with their barbies are based on the real (normal) experiences of life with kids. Not all kids get obsessed, and many go from one obsession to another... but it's certainly not abnormal behaviour.

Who knows, he may end up being a ref or a commentator or even a player -- if he stays obsessed (and he may), he'll certainly know a great deal more about the sport than most 20yos...

Hey worst come to worst L., you have the next NBA MVP on your hands don't fret I am sure he will move on soon and if not, let his passion get stronger. Nothing wrong with that you will appreciate that focus when he is say 13.
Peace and Blessings!

My son is going to be 3 in june and also loves basketball. He loves it so much that he sleeps with his ball. My husband loves it, but he loves it all on his own. He will watch it and also play along with it. He loves to wear his detroit piston jersy. He also loves to golf. I would not discourage it. It is good exercise and great for motor skills. Play along with him, he'll love it.

L.,
Not sure this is any help but I recently read an article in a parenting magazine that stated it's completely normal for preschoolers to get obsessive over one thing. The author's daughter insisted on acting like a cat constantly even in public places and preschool. As far as obsessed with an activity - the author said they are trying to master something before moving on.
? Hope that helps??? Who knows, maybe he'll be an NBA Pro Player and you can be that mom that said "I always knew he was gifted at a young age!"
Good Luck : )

My son is 4 1/2 and last summer he was also obsessed with basketball and t-ball. He played constantly. I don't think there is a problem. I was happy that he was so active. It's good for them. Good luck.
Chris

My son is going to be three in April and he obsessed with any kind of ball. He could play all day long too. I think it is pretty normal for them. I think that boys are just wired alot different then girls!! D.

1 / 3