2-Year-old Early Waking

My two-year-old has been waking up between 5:30 to 6:30 a.m. nearly every day for about the past three weeks, and previously she was sleeping until about 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. This not only is a problem because my day has to get started much earlier now, but also she does not wake up happy and rested and is cranky all morning until her nap around 1:00 p.m. She used to wake up in a pleasant mood when she slept later and made it to her nap just fine. She has always gone to bed at 8:00 p.m. and putting her to bed later doesn't seem to help at all. She does seem to all of the sudden have some anxiety about noises, such as planes or thunder, but I'm not sure if it's noises waking her up all the time. Her nap is usually between one to two hours long and I had thought the longer naps were causing the problem but it happens even after the shorter naps, too. I think since she just turned two in recent months that she is probably transitioning her sleep routine/amount but I'm not sure where to adjust it. I just know we don't seem to be hitting it right so we can both feel rested. :) Also, she has always slept with a sound machine that sounds like running water to help drown out noises since she has an older sibling, although we don't turn it up very high. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with a similar problem that they could share details about. I vaguely remember my older daughter waking up pretty early for awhile around this age, so I know I may be out of luck for awhile but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask...... I've just been spoiled by this little one because she used to sleep from 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. and I always easily got up before her in the morning! Thanks!

Thank you so much for all the great responses, especially to the moms that suggested putting her to bed earlier. It really does work, and everyone else in the family can start to wind down a little earlier too when she goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m. She's back to sleeping until about 7:30 a.m. again and is very happy in the morning now. We figured out that she was also ready to transition to a toddler bed so now I think she's back to being happy with her sleep situations overall. Thanks again!

Although it sounds strange, try putting her to bed about 15 - 30 minutes earlier! Especially when she wakes up so early, she may be over tired. None of my children slept well when they were very tired and they always awakened earlier. I remember how puzzled I was when I discovered this trick. Good luck!

maybe she's done with naps? my two year old wakes up 530 to 6 as well. i just think of it as our special time together, and we sit and snuggle, drink coffee and watch the news together. it's a nice sweet quiet start to our day. it's all perspective!

You could try reading Marc Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", which covers sleep schedules and problems from infancy to (I think) middle elementary school age. Keeping a child up later to make them more tired only backfires, because the body then releases hormones to keep the body awake; so your child will have a harder time falling and staying asleep. John Rosemond points out in "Making the 'Terrible' Twos Terrific!" that 2-year-olds tend to start having nightmares because they're using their imagination and they cannot tell real from imagined yet. It's good to comfort a frightened child; but if they're not frightened, then they may just have gotten in the habit of waking early and need to be "reminded" of proper sleep habits. I recommend both books, but especially Weissbluth's for sleeping because it's based on extensive study of children's sleep patterns and needs.

I've heard some people tell their toddlers, "We don't wake up before Mr. Sun," and then they don't go to their child until the sun is up, at least. Then kids learn to stay in their beds/rooms and wait until morning, when they know their parents will come for them. Or you could try putting a clock in the room and drawing a picture of a particular time (either analog or digital, to match the clock) and say, "When this clock matches this picture exactly, then it is time to get up." I haven't tried this, but it's a thought. Good luck!

My daughter (almost 3) will stay up late at night & then want to sleep a little longer in the mornings. Even if I send her to bed, she will just play in her room for I dont know how long! But I know she doesn't get 12 hours of sleep. If we "sleep in" she gets maybe 9 hours of sleep before she's ready to get up. She takes maybe a 45 minute nap at daycare during the week but hardly ever takes a nap at all at home (she may have "quiet time" watching TV though). So, I would guess your daughter just doesn't need as much sleep anymore. How long are the shorter naps? I would probably try limiting the naps to 1 hour for several days & see if anything changes.

Hi N.. It sounds like you have a schedule change. Eek! I hate those. Just when you get settled, BAM! They seem to come up with something new. I only have one piece of advice on sleep. I read an article which has saved my sanity and proved true for us. Sleep begets sleep. If you want them to sleep more, put them down earlier and give them more opportunity to sleep. It said something about keeping them up and skipping naps being counterproductive.

It has sure worked for us. When we needed to reset her clock after a time change on vacation, I started putting her down at 6:30 (luckily it was dark early) and it took about a week to get back to our usual pattern. Or try putting her down for a nap at a new time...say 9:30 so she'll be up for lunch. She may be ready for a different (and inconvenient)nap schedule.

We also use a wave machine which helps a bunch! She definitely sleeps longer with it on. I realize that I we are unique in the fact that my child will stay in bed (got our bluff in early and she stays there for the most part....awesome!) so when I put there I have a reasonable expectation of her remaining. But it is worth a shot.

We found that putting to bed EARLIER actually helped a little better! It also might work better to give her a nap earlier, too, at least until the situation gets fixed! Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby is a good book to use... :)

I understand how the early waking thing is... my 3 year old gets up between 6-7 EVERY morning. I can NOT get up that early usually... One thing that has helped the grouchiness/whines is to put to bed earlier. If he gets up at 6 he's ready for his nap BEFORE lunch time. If he doesn't get a nap, I get him in bed between 6 & 7 which sounds ridiculous to most people but he sleeps until 6:30 or 7 the next morning so he obviously needs it!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!!

Is she in a bed where she can get out? Like a Toddler Bed or a Training Bed? If so, then you can get her a sleeping bag and put it in the floor beside your bed & try letting her Sleep in this "Special Bag" for a little while longer when she gets up in the morning. I know you don't want to form a habit that will be hard to break, but if her problem is anxiety & that is what is waking her...sometimes you have to weigh the pros&cons. I always opt for the More Sleep option! :)
Best Wishes with whatever you decide on. I hope it is successful ~ quickly! :)

N.,
I have heard that the more sleep babies/toddlers get, the better they will sleep. This works well for our 2 y.o. daughter. I've noticed when she goes to bed late (past 8pm) she will typically wake earlier. If we put her down early (about 7pm) she will sleep much better. Sounds crazy but it works. We also have a rule at our house, if she's up before 6:45am or 7, she has to stay in her bed. She can either play or go back to sleep, but she knows she won't be getting up just yet if it's too early. If your daughter seemed rested to you, I would say maybe it's not a big deal, but you say she's cranky. So you know she is tired. Maybe you should try laying her down earlier at night???

1 / 3