2 1/2Yo Not Talking Yet

i have tryed every thing i can think of to get my 2 1/2 almost 3yo to talk but he refuses he will say a few things like no and yah

I am so glad you asked this question, my 2 yr. old doesn't say much either. These responses are helpful. I am going to call early intervention. Just wanted you to know there are others this age that don't talk but he understands everything, plays well and looks us in the eye. Good luck!

Every child is different. But I would take him to a pediatrician. Is there a hearing problem? Are there other developmental problems. It's best to discover issues early so they can be dealt with. Maybe she just has a quiet personality.

Possibly there is a hearing problem. My niece did not talk until after she was 3 because no one knew there was a problem. She was not sickly at all. After tubes were put in her ears, she was fine.

The comments by others are definates like having hearing checked and such, but may I offer another alternative. My son was born with club feet. Because he was in casts and a brace for the first two years, he didn't develop a good "cross pattern". I know this sounds weird, but it is true. Crawling is essential to development. My son didn't crawl much. He scooted and then began standing and walking. After him not talking, we talked with someone from "Learning Techniques". They suggested that we get him back on the floor crawling. They also suggested teaching sign language... because it helps get the process going. I kid you not- within a week of practice crawling he began putting words together. This was February last year. He now speaks in full sentences and is doing great. It was a simple fix.

So if your child didn't do a lot of crawling, he may need some practice. It is worth a shot anyway!

You need to have it checked out- however try signlanguage videos if you haven't. They are wonderful and really help with verbal communication skills also.

I used signing times, but there are others out there. We would check them out from the public library with my first child and then bought 3 of them off line for my second child because we loved them and the public library where we live now didn't carry them.

Hi, T.. It sounds like your little one is a good candidate for speech therapy. My youngest two have needed help with sounds, and basically they play with toys making sound effects to learn sounds in the appropriate developmental order. Perhaps you have a Speech Language Pathologist in your area you can contact directly for screening. Most states have money set aside to pay for early intervention, so your Speech Language Pathologist or doctor would know. Good luck!

My two year old was refusing to talk as well and what i did was when she wanted something i told her use your words and made her ask even if that ment i said each word first and had her copy me it took time but i have her slowly responding. and come to find out people around her was letting her get away with grunting and pointing. once they stopped allowing it she is showing more of a pattern of useing her words

My two boys didn't talk until they were 3. Then they talked in sentences. But if he doesn't talk after his 3rd birthday I would go to the doctor and voice your concerns. That is one of the signs of autism is late speech. But don't be too worried just yet. Give him time to see if it will all come together.

I would take him into your pediatrician to be evaluated.

Hi T.:
I would definetly get him evaluated my neighbors daughter was doing the same thing she was borderline autism. but, she got her into a speech therapist right away and is doing great now they 1st taught her sign language but early intervention is very important and the state paid for her classes. She also got her the letter factory by leap frog ,and now my daughter who is a couple of months older and spoke very well very early is being surpassed by her. You can get the letter factory at target for only ten dollars and I swear it is a miracle worker. My baby who is only 16 months will sit and watch this and he doesn't sit for anything. And he is saying some of his sounds. Also discovery toys makes a cd It is called sounds like FUN and has a Alphet sounds song that is very catchy and my 16 month old sings it all the time I play it for him every night when he goes to bed it is amazing. Good look to you.

1 / 3