2 1/2 Year Old Son Not Talking

PLEASE someone help me with advice as to what I can do to get my son to talk! He wasn't premature, he's healthy and really smart understands everything just isn't talking to much. People said it was him learning English and Spanish at the same time. Any ideas?

I would try to contact someone for some speech therapy. Encouraging the child to "use yoru words" helps alot too, or sign language. Using some sign language and saying the word at the same time (that is key) works wonders! There are tons of books out there but check them first. Some use "baby sign language" and others use American Sign Language which your son can use into adulthood. I love "The Complete Idiots Guide To Sign Language" it should be the only book you'll need. Hope everything works out for you, good luck!

My son is 2 1/2 and he doest talk much either. He says Mama, Dada, Kitty, Doggy, Ball, Bowl, More. And thats about it. What I find funny is he knows all his animal sounds. Cows, Sheep, Pig, Bear...He learned them all in an evenings time. But, he doesnt say words. He is very smart and very analytical. He loves building things and playing with his Thomas Trains. He can put the tracks together. Its amazing to watch him and his little mind work, he just doesnt talk.
My pediatrician shows a little concern. But, I dont. Like another mom said, we knows our children the best. And if there was something wrong with them, we would know it in our gut.
I just continue to talk to him, and show him things, and tell him what they are. I know someday he will start talking. I hope its soon.
I hold things up like his juice and ask him what it is. He says DAT. Everything is DAT. When I push him to say JUICE, he gets frustrated with me. So I dont push him. He is just learning things at his own pace.

My friend's son was 2 and 1/2 when he started getting a speech therapist visit once a day.
His family spreaks spanish in the home, as well as english.
Of course so did the baby, but whatever he was indicating was expressed by caveman sounds and jibberish.
I never understood one word! After a few weeks I noticed a huge difference.
He clearly was saying several words. Now he has been in the program for a few months and is talking normal (for a baby) He even says all of our names.
Ask your doctor about a speech therapist. I saw it work magic from a personal experience.

We used to joke about my son, that he was speaking Japanese, because he spoke something that seemed less like English. Does it run in the family? It runs in mine. My son is 6 and he doesn't talk much...but more and more everyday, he's talking.

I would send your little one to school, the headstart, etc.. I would also have his speech and hearing tested.

It could be the bilingual thing. my brother didnt talk until he was 4 and it was all itailin.
But however my son is not bilingual. He talks but not well. his speach isnt wear it should be for a 4 (in march) yearold.
He's a little bacwards he talked better when he was younger.
any how. we do flash cards leepfrog videos Maybe you should try just using th eone language. just for a while. And talk to the pedi about wether he has maybe hearign issues or speach. see what they say before you panic. and get flash cards and constintly work with him. Its hard but you have to enunciate everything when doing this. (its a pain in the but)the good news kinda sorta. is once he's 3 you could call the school system and demand a pt theyll have the speach pathologist check him and then help him with his speach. what town do you live in?

My son Jose who is now 9 yrs old, when he was 2 1/2 yrs old he talked but 2 or 3 words. The reason why my son was born with a genetic disability which caused developmental delay. He is a special needs student. He also has adhd and ocd. he is getting occupational and speech therapy in school. he is doing so much better. He still mumbles a little but he reads and can carry a conversation alot better than when he was younger. With your child it might not be the same case but you should talk to his pediatrician and have them refer you to specialists. First thing they will do an mri or see a geneticist or neurologist. I really don't think it has to do with speaking to him in both languages because my mother and father talked to me in english and spanish when I was younger and I speak well in both languages.

i would contact my local health department and find out if they have an early intervention program for some speech therapy.

My youngest son is just over 2 yrs old, only thing he was saying was ot for hot and mom. Had him evaluated for early intervention which come to my house 2 days a week now for 30 min. He now says, I want that, es for yes, no, stop etc etc. He signs for please and help me etc. I thought it ludacris that 30 min of play would get him to talk, but it works! Figured last of 3 children he would hear all the talking and just do it. I also have had his hearing checked twice, he is scheduled for ear,nose,and throat surgery end of Feb. Fluid can flucuate in their middle ears, knowing this and his speech dealy I opted for tubes, if it helps eleviate the fluid flucation which can muffle sounds. I know pacifiers are debated on, all my children had one first two no speech delay, my youngest has one and the difference with him is he sucks it all the time, where the other two just held it in their mouths and talked around it. The speech pathologist said that when the children suck constantly they are not moving their tongues around and exploring. I hope this information has helped!! Good luck, Contacting Early Intervention and getting your childs hearing checked is where I started.

1 / 3