2 1/2 Year Old Knocked Out Her Front Tooth! I feel...now What Do We Do??

My toddler was standing, playing peekaboo with an adult friend, when she simply fell onto her plastic sippy cup, knocking out one of her front teeth. After the initial bleeding and crying, she seemed/seems fine. She even ate broken hamburger meat last night. I feel awful, of course. What do we do now? Should I take her to the dentist for sure? Do we leave her toothless until her big teeth come in? Has anyone any experience with a cap or prosthetic tooth on a retainer? ( I read somewhere that one mom got one just for photo time). Anyone with this experience, I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Thank you all so much for your advice and reassurances! I truly appreciate it--it has really helped me to feel better about the whole situation. The morning after it happened, I was changing her and I looked at her; in a flash, it came to me--Mommy Instinct at work--the tooth is still in there. We were never able to find it, and today, her lip looked a bit distorted--more than being just a little swollen. I took her to the dentist, and sure enough, her tooth got shoved back up into the gum. The Dr. said it may take a few months to pop out again, and it may be dead when it comes out, but it is there! I guess that is better than losing it, and not even having it to give to the Tooth Fairy! My daughter has always had a lot of character, and now I can see this is just one more way it will be manifested on the outside! Thanks again, everyone!

Leave her toothless and don't put her through any trauma for a fake tooth. My son lost a front tooth on the side of a swimming pool at about 4years old and we just let it be.

It will make her unique with a great story to tell when she is older.

My son fell and lost a front tooth at 17 months old. He just this year at 8 yrs old had his adult tooth come in. It was kinda sad because it was such a part of him all his life to be missing a front tooth. It was never a problem. I was worried about the new tooth being able to break through because the gum was tough from years of no tooth. But it did come in and so far looks good. If the tooth came out whole maybe call the dentist and ask if you should bring her in. It might not be nessesary.

I knocked out both front teeth when I was 3 in a car accident. They put them back in with a double root canal that I still remember to this day. Traumatic and painful, and requiring my mouth to be wired shut along with a liquid diet for weeks while the teeth re-implanted. The reason they did all that was to keep my teeth from dramatically shifting and therefore screwing up my adult teeth. For the record, I ended up needing braces anyway, so it was all for nothing!

I'd ask the dentist if you should do anything, but I'd avoid any painful dental work if you can. Probably she'll be fine!

Thankfully it's only her baby tooth. Yes, take her to a Dentist. Do you have the tooth? Bring it with you if you do. It may be too late, but sometimes they can "put the tooth back".

It happened to my sister several years ago, and it was successful. I'm sure it's an eaier process now-a-days.

Yes - take her to the dentist. They'll take x-rays to determmine if damage was done to the adult tooth.

Our daughter lost her front tooth when she was 3. She was toothless up front for several years. The adult tooth came in when she turned 7 this year.

When I asked about putting in some sort of fake tooth, they said they could do it, but it was incredibly difficult and that they often break. I was really only concerned that she would start to say some letters incorrectly and in that case I probably would have pushed for a prosthetic. However, she just learned how to say all her letters w/out the front tooth. The only other reason to put a fake one in was for pictures and the sort and as it turns out, she didn't really need that. Having no tooth was just part of her look and it was okay. Other kids didn't really notice and if they did it wasn't a big deal.

Poor girl. It's no fun to lose a tooth prematurely.

Yes, just take her in and have it checked. It will help you feel better and the dentist will have it in her records. At the very least you should call. Good luck!

So sorry to hear that. Definitely take her to the dentist today. My daughter lost one of her front teeth a few months ago and the dentist wanted to see her immediately to take an x-ray and make sure the entire tooth came out. If there's any piece remaining, it may get infected or cause problems with her other teeth. The dentist will also check the teeth and discuss your options with you. Since my daughter was only 20 months, we didn't discuss prosthetic options, except that there are some available once she's about 3. Good luck!

At 4 years old our daughter tripped on her blankie and fell face first onto the kitchen floor succesfully knocking out both front teeth. We took her straight to the dentist. It was important to have xrays to check for broken jaw or facial bones. She was fine by the evening and even ate cantqaloupe off the rind with no problem. We enjoyed the few years with missing teeth in photos because that is what she looked like and did keep an eye on her for speach problems and space for permenent teeth which all turned out fine. But, a few years later when her new teeth came in one of them was "lumpy" and deformed. We don't know if it would have been this way or if the trauma to her mouth caused it but with a good dentist she had a root canal and cap put in to match the other front tooth. Later when she was grown the tooth needed to be replaced to match size and color and now at 25 years old she has 2 very nice looking front teeth. I would suggest a trip to the dentist to make sure she didnt do more damage and to get her started with good dental health. As for your toothless photos, cherish them and keep telling her how cute she is no matter what. (o:

You should take her to the dentist to have xrays done and see if any damage was done to the adult tooth. My daughter knocked hers out plkaying with the turnstile at the store. All was fine but we did go to the dentist.

I would definitely take her to see a dentist. Did this happen last night? I would go as soon as possible. Sometimes a dentist will ask you to bring in the missing teeth as it might be possible to put them back in place, but I'm not sure how quickly action needs to be taken. If nothing else, a dentist will be able to rule out greater injury. Good luck.

1 / 3