18 Month Old Discipline

How should I be disciplining my 18 month old boy. He just doesn't seem to get time-out (I have to hold him down ...as we sit there), I am not hitting his hand anymore because he has started to kinda hit us back (batting at us). Any suggestions would help :)

I also have an 18 month old boy. He is my third child. My advice to you is to reserve hand slapping to activities that will cause himself or someone else pain. (i.e. touching stove) And only as a last resort. At this age the child really only wants to please you. So, I've found a stern voice does the trick. If that doesn't work pick him up and move him away from the area. That will be a punishment enough. Hope this helps.

Since he's so young, sometimes the time-outs have to be when you sit with them since they won't sit alone. You have to be consistent when timeouts are given and the length of time. Usually 1 minute per year of age.

I would try reading the book 1-2-3-Magic. It really helped me. It addresses problems with ages from toddlers to teenage years. Positive reinforcement. Timeout. Taking away toys, special events, special snacks. Try counting bad behavior up to three. Wait five slow counts between each number. Tell them briefly what to stop and they will have timeout. After you try this a few times they will get the hint. It takes a coulple weeks of being consistent, but the behavior starts to lessen and children start to listen more.

Holding is what I do with our youngest Grandson. He too will hit and it's funny he has started to hold my hands when he knows he's in trouble.
I have also spoken sturnly but in a low voice to him and he knows he's in trouble. Instead of yelling for mom or dad he has started yelling for Grandpa Elmer which is funny because he yells at him quit a bit.
He just does not remember what little ones were like because he workled all the time when our boys were small but now he's retired due to health reasons, he's around a lot more.
Keep at it. They learn very quickly.

Disciplin is hard at this age because they think it is a game. I used putting the child in the crib without toys or any entertainment for several minutes on my best friends son. It worked wonders.

Whatever y9ou do, and I am also a fan of time outs, stress that you do not like their behavior, not that you do not like them. This goes along with the "bad". They are not bad, they are not behaving correctly.

Redirection, redirection, redirection! At this age, I think that "lessons" don't really stick. A firm no when he's getting into something he shouldn't and then find something for him to do that is OK. This really is a very difficult stage. You always have to be on your toes! They are doing more, their motor skills are developing, and they are exploring their environment as much as they can. It's exciting, yet very challenging. Good luck to you!

We are in the same boat. My 18 month old is on the go. What I have found to be working is a time out room. I give him 2 warnings and on the third one I put him in our computer room and close the door. There isn't anything in the room that could hurt him, and it isn't his bed room. I let him cry it out for two to three minutes then I go in and sit on the floor and I tell him whatever he did was wrong and that it could hut him. then he gives me a hug and a kiss and we move on. I know that he may not completely understand what I'm doing but he is alteast learing that I'm setting boundries for him. Hope that helps.

Nope, kids that young don't get time out. Take him away from whatever the situation is and redirect him when he does something you don't want him doing. Stay positive because negative attention is still attention for what he's doing. We say "The couch is for sitting, you can stand on the floor" about 100 times a day while plopping my son on the floor. He gets upset that he's not allowed on the couch. He'll learn eventually.

Kids this age are meant to test the limits, it's how they learn what is ok and what is not. Good Luck! :)

Ok. I've been starting to discipline my 20 month old and "calm down chair" didn't work at first. But I kept at it and now they are starting to have effect. It's being costistant and not backing down. Don't hold him down. Put him it the chair over and over and over again until he realizes that he's not going to get around it so he just better go through it. She only gets one minute.

There was one night that she kept trying to climb the three trier plant stand. Put her in "calm down" for not listening. After 45 minutes of struggle ...picking her up putting her back in...putting her up putting her back in...not talking to her as much as possible... she sat there for one minute on the nose. She whined and wipered the whole time. But hugged me when it was over because she can't say sorry yet.

Every day it get less and less. Like today at flipping class she keep trying to put her finger in outlets. After two warnings she got put in "calm down." She only tried to get out twice. True again she whined but what kid doesn't whine when being displined.

Hang in there. Just don't give up. Time-out, calm dawn, naughty seat what ever you call it work. It's the harder road but it's worth the pay off that your kids don't fear you.

1 / 3