What Dress to Buy for a Bat Mitzvah?

Hello again,
I decided to buy a dress for this celebration but I am not sure what is appropriate.
May I wear this dress if I use it with a shrug for the ceremony, and then take it off for the party?
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=47914...
I also like this one
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=48788...
Or should I use something more modest dress like this
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=35464...

Thanks again for all your help.

I will assume that you know how formal the event is, and are just asking about relative modesty, as all three dresses are about equally formal. I believe either choice 2 with a shrug for the temple, or choice 3 would be appropriate. Choice 1 is on the edge. As someone else pointed out, this is a party for a 13 year old. In this case, better safe than sorry.

I'm not sure about what's appropriate in a temple but the first one (ruffles) is so beautiful! I'm not a ruffle girl, but I'd wear that!

They all look beautiful! Just be sure to cover that shoulder in dress number one in the Temple. At the party it will be striking! Try not to worry. Be yourself and enjoy!

hi, K.,
for my daugther's Bat Mitzvah, we actually sent a memo about clothing. My synagogue does not allow sleeveless dresses or miniskirts at all. However, a shrug or jacket would be fine and then take it off for the party. If you are uncomfortable with your choices, call the family and ask for help - normally they should be happy to tell you what's best, since they want you to feel comfortable.

It depends what kind of Bar Mitzvah and what kind of synagogue you are attending. There are some synagogues where nothing but the third one would be appropriate, there are others where any of them would be appropriate. Are the ceremony and the party right after each other? Or is one in the morning and one in the evening? If you send me the name and location of the synagogue, I can probably help you narrow it down.

If it's reform - i'd go with dress 1. It's beautiful.

If the temple is more conservative, do number 2. It's a celebration so have fun. You're gonna look great in any of them.

Hi K.

I think that either dress would be appropriate for the Bat Mitzvah. There is one problem with the dresses. If this is going to be an orthodox affair, then you need to buy the black dress as you need to have your shoulders covered. If you can match a wrap or a shawl to the other dresses then by all means they can be worn for the ceremony and the party.
Good luck and enjoy!

I think as long as you wear a shrug, or sweater the purple on (One you like) is a fine choice. Most places of worship frown on bare shoulders, but otherwise I think it's perfectly acceptable. You should chose one that you can wear again. The purple one is an appropriate length, and looks more like you could wear it more often. Have fun, and as long as you dress respectfully, it should be fine, no matter where it is. Also, I agree w/one who said call the family if your really not sure!

Honestly, they all look a bit too formal to me. Have you tried looking in Dress Barn? They have some beautiful, shorter dresses (not minis) and are probably less expensive than the Macy's ones.

1 / 3