Travel Crib

We are going to be staying at my parents' beach house with our 1-year old for 1-2 weeks. We were planning on having her sleep in a pack n play but I'm having second thoughts about that. I feel like that's too long to make her sleep in the pack n play. I don't think she'll be comfortable, which means none of us will sleep well. She will have her own room so I'm thinking of getting a crib to keep there. Since we plan on having more kids, this crib will be used for many years. Does anyone know of an inexpensive crib that's good? Or maybe even some kind of travel crib? Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful suggestions. I decided to get a mattress for the Pack N Play. I didn't even know they existed! We are going to do a trial tomorrow night. If it goes well, we'll just use that. Otherwise, I'll buy a used crib on Craig's list. There were a TON on there!

I have the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib. My daughter is 14 months old. Its worth it. Baby sleeps comfortably.

Buy the book "Baby Bargains" 8th ed. It rates & prices everything you will ever need for a baby's 1st year of life including cribs.

I have the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib - it is extremely light, but is smaller than a standard crib. Fold up into a suitcase. My son, almost 1 yo has used it numerous times since he was born (trips to parents, Aruba, Boston). He never has a problem with it. It is very easy to set up & break down. Much easier & faster then a Pack and Play, but more expensive.

I think the Pack n' Play is just fine with a mattress, but if you are really unsure, what I have done in the past is rented from a company called Baby's Away. (www.babysaway.com) They deliver cribs (and anything else that you might need right to your door step). Their stuff was clean, and most importantly, safe. Depending on where your parent's house is, you might want to call them, so you don't have to "lug" everything with you. Just a thought...good luck.

When I have traveled to beach areas like Martha's Vineyard there was a shop that would rent baby items needed- cribs, pack and plays etc...see if your Mom can find one of these places to rent one from for now. When you are there you can go an shop for the right one. If you are able to get a thicker mattress to put in the pack in play your child will be comfortable. I had my son in one up until he was 2 1/2 when we traveled. The extra mattress made it comfortable.
Have fun.

Please enjoy your trip!!! :-) As far as an inexpesnive crib, you can go online at Walmart and they have several cribs that are either collapsible or "mini" that you can use as a portable one....I did just see a white one on sale for approx. $99 by Delta I believe. The other good thing is Walmart is everywhere and you can have it shipped to the store nearest your Parent's vacation home and not even pay for shipping... Again enjoy your vacation and hope I helped.

O.

Just got back from 8 days away with my 2 year old. He slept in the pack and play the whole time (night and naps) and was totally happy every night--and this was in a house he had never been to before. So it wasn't familiar place like grandma's house.

Hey Mom,

Why not just buy a mattress for the pack n play

it makes them just like a crib.

And it would cost you far less.

M

Chances are there's a place where you can rent baby gear (also a high chair, etc.), especially if it's an area where a lot of people vacation. Do some searching online or have your mom ask around where the beach house is. If you want a regular crib that's cheap but decent quality, craigslist might be the way to go. We were away for a few days last week and my 1 yo wasn't crazy about the pack-n-play either. Good luck!

(FYI - I see you're in Pleasantville... I have a crib mattress that I'm looking to get rid of, so if you go the route of getting a full-size crib and need a mattress (and don't mind a used one), I'd be happy to sell you mine for cheap. I'm actually going to be in Pleasantville on Monday (haircuts!), so message me if you're interested).

A.

get the pack and play, and get a mattress for it. they cost $20 at babiesrus. we live in a small apt, with no room for a crib, so my daughter has slept in a pack-n-play her entire (17 month long) life. And she sleeps just fine, through the night and all.
the mattress makes a big difference to soften the hard floor of the pack-n-play. and you still have the option to fold the bed away or use it on other travels if you need to.

My parents invested in a really nice Chicco pack-and-play for our visits. The travel cribs seemed wobbly to them, so they purchased the Chicco and a padded sheet for the mattress. We were just in FL for 10 days and my son slept beautifully! He has slept in that particular crib numerous times and really likes it-

1 / 3