Shopping for New Car Seat for My 14 Month Old

I am looking for a new car seat for my 14 month old daughter. She is just over 20 lbs and 30 inches tall. I have been doing some research and from what I have read the Britax Marathon is highly recommended. It is also one of the more expensive models. Since I am a SAHM, we are on a pretty tight budget. Before we spend the money, I just wanted to get some opinions from other moms. Can you recommend a car seat? Also, I have read that they are now recommending kids stay rear-facing as long as possible. What are your thoughts about this? Is it okay to have her forward facing?

Thank you so much for all your advice. I have decided to go with a Britax. However, I can't decide which model to buy. What is the differenc between the Marathon and Boulevard?

Info on rear-facing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html
There is a ton more info on the subject, just "google" rear-facing car seat safety.
Also pass it along to all the moms you know, this is new updated info, most moms are still unaware. It really bothers me when I pull up to pick my daughter up from day care and I see all the other cars in line with their car seats facing front.
We use Britax and are sticking with them for convertibles. I bought mine on ebay, new in box for $60 less than in the store. Search online.

K.,

I am with the other moms that say britax. My son is 4 years old, 44 pounds and about 40 inches or a little taller. I have had the car seat since he was 10 months old. I feel good with him in the seat, it is very safe and it is worth the money in the long wrong. When you think about the money you might spend on looking for the right seat instead of just buying the right seat the first time, trust me it is worth the initial expense. I am a SAHM and have a background in accounting before staying at home and believe me, I did the math and it was the best solution. Plus it is the safest seat on the market. I just wish I had had this seat with my two older boys.

I have 2 daughters that are now 4 and 6 and have had the Marathon car seats since they were born. They still fit in them and they still look new even though they have been washed hundreds of times. My older daughter is still within the weight range but we have moved up to the Britax Booster. The belts on the Marathon never twist and the buckles are easy to use (no fancy overlapping that requires two hands). I have an older son and we went through several less expensive versions of car seats that didn't hold up and in the long run the cheaper seats ended up costing us much more.

Info on rear-facing:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Do your homework. You want to look at the seat that will hold your child in a 5 pnt harness for as long as possible. Don't get confused by the converision from harness to booster. I went with Britax Regent as it holds your child in a 5 pnt harness until the age of 8. They have a newer model out now that is called the Frontier. I think Graco had a new one out that
might do that as well. If you invest in these you won't need another car seat again. If you invest in a Marthon Britax you will be looking for another seatn later on.

I got two Britax car seats on Craigslist. I would check the manufacture date because it should be no more than six years old and check the frame for any cracking or wearing. I have been really happy with my purchases (I paid $60 for one and $80 for another). So many people buy two and three car seats for their mother in laws, etc and then get rid of them in perfect condition. I ordered a new cover on ebay for one (and also because my daughter has sensitive skin and I prefer her to only be exposed to cotton), but I wash both covers regularly. Good luck!

kids.woot.com has an Evenflo Symphony Convertible Car Seat on sale for $89 off the lowest internet price. it only rear faces up to 20lb, but it converts into a booster seat up to 100 pounds!

it's a really great deal, but act fast because woot changes their deal daily.

We have one Britax Marathon and one Boulevard....after comparing our carseats to friends of ours I will ALWAYS own Britax or at least something very similar....

Here is a great deal on a Boulevard which is even better than the Marathon :) http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-boulevard-convertible-car...

This site always seems to have great deals on carseats - its where we bought both of our on discount or at the annual Britax sale time.
The Recarro seats also seem to have wonderful reviews, that was another seat on our list but the Britax won us over. :)
And the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) now reccomends rear facing until at least the age of 2.

You can get the Britax Marathon for $179 on albeebaby.com, and that is with free shipping. That makes the price more competitive.
Kids should stay rear-facing as long as possible, but your daughter is big enough and old enough to turn around. If she's pushing on the back seat with her feet it's probably time to turn her around, or if she hates her carseat. Mine was so happy to face front.

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/tp/topconvcarse...

I love 7 Evenflo Triumph Advance Convertible Car Seat
Decent price. and you can keep it backwards for a while.

I have 2 . I got one of them on sale at Target for $99.

I say go with with Britax as well. Yes, it's more $$$, but SO worth it. We had our daughter (now 2 1/2) in the Boulevard, just switched up to a new Marathon so my parents could have the Boulevard as she'd outgrown the carseat we'd purchased for them to use. Our Boulevard is now 2 years old and it still looks brand new, it wears beautifully and you just can't beat the safety ratings. I purchased both of my Britax's online, do a google search to find the lowest prices and then google again to find coupons for that store. Hope this helps!

As far as foward facing goes, trust your instincts. We had my daughter forward facing at 12 months, b/c she was too big to face backwards and sit comfortably. I would say forward facing, but use the middle of your back seat if you have LATCH, that's the safest place.

Good luck. :)

1 / 3