Shakey After Exercise

After exercising, I get very shakey. My hands shake horribly for about 15 min, after. Why does this happen and should I be concerned? I am breastfeeding and have been trying to drink a lot of H2O, thinking it could be due to dehydration.

My sister was experiencing that after her daily workouts, and we tracked it to low blood sugar post exercise - this is a common phenomenon with runners, actually.

She was not eating a good breakfast - preferring a piece of fruit instead of proteins and carbs - and was relying on a post work out protein shake for lunch.

Once she began eating a better breakfast the shakes went away.

Some kind of recovery drink or protein shake...or eat a banana. It's always wise to never work out on a full stomach but never on a totally empty stomach either. Try to munch on an apple or a handful of almonds...or a piece of bread before working out and then after you work out, find a recovery drink or protein shake. I buy my recovery drink (it comes in powder form) from a company called Beachbody. It tastes great and it helps with the shakes.

Sounds like you are suffering from hypoglycemia brought on by too strenuous of a workout.

How is your diet? Blood sugar issues can cause shaking after strenuous workout. Between breastfeeding (which burns a ton of calories) and the now added extra physical activity, your body may be struggling to keep your blood sugar levels stable. You may need to reevaluate your diet/food intake and your workout routine (may be too strenuous for a nursing mom) if you plan on working out while breastfeeding.

There is a possibility you have something else going on, like a thyroid issue. If eating differently and lightening up your routine don't help right away, I'd see a doctor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_###-###-####_diet-hypoglycemic.html
http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/roepke_anwers2.html
http://blisstree.com/live/exercise-for-new-and-nursing-mo...

I am really thinking it's low blood sugar, this happens to me as well and i often crash. Be sure you eat a good snack of carbs and protein before you work out. The carbs absorb quickly and produce energy, that is why you need to consume protein with it so it balances out regularly. Try and bring cheese and crackers or peanut butter on bread, a handful of nuts or a fruit and eat a little snack like this when you work out. Also, be sure you drink lots of water!

Are you eating enough? sounds like low blood sugar to me. Get some protein (meat, peanut butter, chicken, that kind of thing that most dieting ladies avoid, but we NEED it as it is what sustains us.)

Do you feel better once you've eaten something? If so that's most likely it. Sugar & carbs give your body quick energy but that's the problem - it's quick and burns up and is gone and your body crashes (ie, shaky) - eat protein to sustain you thru the workout and your day.

It has nothing to do with dehydration. The muscels need sugar and that's why you are shaking. It should not last long, and after a few minutes and when the muscles are repenished with sugar ( or energy) the shaking stops. Has nothing to do with oxygen or adrenaline. Eating some fruit gives you quick energy after workouts. Good luck.

or low sugar?? Are you working out on an empty stomache? Workout a little too hard to start with? Can you take it down a notch?

I guess I don't have much for answers..but hope this helps anyway!

You could be overdoing it, or don't have enough food in your body for a proper workout. I used to have a personal trainer, and when I was shaking during my workouts, he called me out on my pre-workout meals. I wouldn't eat enough carbs/protein to sustain my body. Hence, I burned more than my body was prepared for.
You muscles are also probably 'learning' the exercises. I was doing yoga while snowed in last week, and I was totally shaking. Even though it was a video, the 'instructor' said it's ok if you are shaking - your body is learning the moves and burning energy.
Right after you work out, try a protein based drink. Whey protein with milk or Muscle Milk - it DOES have fat, but you will most likely burn it off and ease the shakes.

1 / 3