Poll -- When Did You Move Your Kids to a Bigger Bed?

When my daughter was born, we bought one of those convertable cribs. Well, the middle setting (daybed) still uses the crib size mattress. Last I checked she was already 39 inches tall. She will be 3 in September but she's really tall for her age.

Each night I hear her hitting the side of the crib with whatever body part it happens to be. It usually doesn't wake her but I'm thinking it might be time to move her to the full size bed. (It doesn't work with a twin size mattress)

Just wondering when you all moved your kids to a larger bed. And when you did, was it as big of an adjustment as when you took them out of the crib?

When he was about 18 mo old my SIL needed the crib back for her soon-to-be adopted daughter, so we were forced to do it. We bought him a race car bed off Ebay since he's so into cars and stuff. With that, it has plastic sides and you can put the box spring/mattress on the floor so that there's a lip of bedframe about 4-6 inches above the top part of the mattress. So, he doesn't roll out. We can put them up on slats once he's bigger and won't roll out. If you can find some sort of bed like that, it'll work great. My SIL used a twin mattress on the floor WITH a gate thing (they have them at baby stores etc)on the side so she wouldn't roll off when she transitioned around 18 months; also worked fine.

Good luck! My son will also be 3 in Sept!

I moved my two oldest boys when they were 18 months old. I put up bed rails and they were just fine! I never had any problems with them!

We moved our daughter when she was 2 years 7 months old. We had to move her because we were getting ready for our baby. To help her adjust, I'd let her lie down with me in my bed, read a book, then take her to her room. We also had to put safety rails on both sides of her full size bed. She is all over the bed when she sleeps and the rails keep her from falling off the bed, which is a fairly long drop for her. We purchased the rails from One Step Ahead because they are longer than most and designed very well. We also got her Hello Kitty sheets, a matching comforter, and a snuggle pillow that she helped pick out...so it made her new bed feel more special.

Good Luck! I think your daughter will like her new bed! She'll have lots of room to stretch out! Maybe it would help if she gets to pick out a new set of sheets for her new big girl bed. She'll lose some space in her room to the new bed, so maybe a bed tent would be fun, too! :)

Hi D.!
We just went thru the transistion into a bigger bed for my soon to be three year old (on Aug. 20). Like you, we purchased a convertible bed when he was born but with a new little boy scheduled to arrive on Aug. 17, we decided it was time to get him out of his crib and into a bigger bed before he was displaced by a new brother. I found a bed I really liked at Ikea of all places. It is a silver metal frame that has a 8 inch rung railing around three sides of it. For now, I've turned the bed to face the wall so all sides are protected. He can safely climb in and out of the bed but it offers protection at night from him rolling out. Eventually, I'll turn the bed around the correct way but for now it is working great. P.S. He is pretty resistant to change. He kept telling me he didn't want to be a big boy - he wants to be a baby. So I took a couple of screws out of his crib so the mattress sat crooked and showed him that his bed was broken. It worked. Now, he likes his bigger bed best. Good luck with your little girl! K.

We moved our son just before his 2nd birthday, he was a crazy sleeper and moved around a lot. He also had a convertible bed and he used the toddler part for only about 4 months, but it was just as confining as the crib abd because he moves so much we bought him a full size bed. Like one of the other posters we got our bed at IKEA. It was affordable, but very sturdy. It is a platform bed so it just uses a mattress and not a boxspring. It isn't very high off the ground, but we use bed rails because he moves around so much. We made a big deal about it and he even helped his dad take down his crib/bed to make room for the new, amazing wooooow bed. He was so excited helping his dad take it apart, that he didn't care.
Good Luck!!!

My first child was about 18 months and we moved her to a full sized bed---needed the crib for the baby. My baby is now 16 months and is trying to sleep sideways in the crib and is waking up so we are looking to move her at 18 months as well. We found a Barney book on moving to the big girl bed and we made a big deal about it. We just kept our night night routine the same and things went very smooth.

Hi D.,

I just moved my son to a toddler bed at 27 months. I had really hoped to make it to 3 years, but he started climbing out.

My son was also large for his age so just before his second birthday we moved him to a twin bed. I was worried about him falling out, so we just bought the mattress and put it on top of a piece of plywood which sat on a metal frame without the boxsprings so he would be closer to the ground. He adjusted well.

mine just went in about 8 weeks ago- right at 22 months old - both boys did wonderfully :-)

1 / 3