How to prevent bats from coming into or near your house?

Hello ladies - My husband, son and myself live in an older two story farmhouse style home. Bats have gotten in a few times over the last 7 years we've lived there, but the last straw for me was the other night I was sleeping with our 6 year old son in his room and woke up at 3AM to a bat flying around. There are some areas of our house that could be sealed up better and we are working on that. But I wondered if anyone has other advice to deterring bats from coming into or near your house, like possibly putting up bat housing around our property or something like that. We also thought about trying those eletronic devices you plug into your outlets which send off high frequency pulses that only mice, bats and other rodents can hear. I'm game for trying anything. I would really appreciate any ideas.

Summary

Over the years there have been many different ways developed to get rid of bats in the attic but most of these solutions are either illegal or don't actually work. If you find that you have bats in the attic and need an effective form of bat removal then your best chance at getting rid of them is to get them all out and then permanently seal all entry points. Contact the professional for help.

All I can say is do something quick. I work in the medical field and bats are the #1 carrier of rabies..which is fatal..and guess what? There is a huge shortage of the vaccine right now. Good Luck!

I had this problem in my first house. I called a animal control place (I can't remember his name but I got it out of the phone book). He came over and installed something that made the bats leave and not be able to get back in. It worked we never had another bat. The cost was around $300. It was worth every penny.

Hi T., Listen if you have a crawl space or attic, get a heavy duty pot or an aluninum pan they're cheaper, put half bleach/ half water. put the pan in the attic and crawl space. We had over 15 hundred bats living in our crawl space so we did that and it seemed to help. Also in an attic I would leave a light on. Good Luck Sweetie...

Please do not buy into the bats and rabies hysteria. While rabies is certainly a horrible disease, 97% of all human rabies cases are caused by dog bites; very rarely bats. By now I'm sure you've solved your bat problem, but it wasn't clear from your original post if the bats were actually roosting inside the house, or just occasionally getting lost and flying in from outside by accident. There's solid information on the Bat Conservation International (BCI) website, and links from there are trustworthy. Be cautious of advice from private animal control sites, they are sometimes just marketing their services through misinformation.

T., The sad news is the bats are in your walls or attic, BEEN THERE, tried everything! CALL a professional!, Call the
DNR, Find out if there have been any rabid bats in your area, I don't want to scare you, just be real, bat "poop" can be toxic, with a young child in your home, he could find it and be curious. Take care of this now, put filters on all of your furnace vents, find ANY crack and hole and fill it, closets, fireplace, trim... Research the net. good luck hon. K.

We had one bat in a rental house where there was an infant living, after doing lots of homework (one good website is www.batcon.org) I decided to let a professional handle it...

I know that another person gave you this phone number but here is the company info.
Michigan Pest & Wildlife Management
968 Mallock Street
White Lake, Michigan 48386
###-###-#### http://www.michiganpest.com

We dealt with Chris who came to the house and gave us a 5yr. guarantee and was a very helpful. He seals all entries and installs a bat door so the bat can get out, but not back in. He charged us $500 in Dec.07. If it weren't for him, I am sure we would still have a bat in the house.

Sorry I am unable to help you but do suggest your family get your rabies vac if you have that many bats near/in your home. I took care of an injured bat one summer (until I could get it to a lady who was connected to the Cin. Zoo) and it accidently caught my skin with it's nail. My doctor was so concerned that I got a series of rabies vacs as a precaution. As the doctor prescribed the need my insurance covered it. My doctor said he had a bat that flew over his head and touched his hair and he got the vac. I know a little extreme but if a bat is carrying rabies this is an extremely serious matter. Better play it safe than sorry. Good luck!

There are people that specialize in the removal of Bats and the home repairs necessary. "A pesky critter removal" is reputable and the owner is the father of 5 great kids. He worked in the construction trade before starting this business.
Tell him L. sent you and ask him for an estimate on repairs. He can be gruff but he's good.

A Pesky Critter Removal - Ryan - ###-###-####

1 / 3