Getting Period/fertility While Breastfeeding?

When should I expect to get my period back while breastfeeding? My daughter is 7 months old and I have not gotten my period yet. We would like to have another baby as soon as we can and so we are not using protection (I know I'm not pregnant right now), since I'm not getting my period, I could drive myself nutty buying pregnancy tests all the time. And will my periods be regular once they come back or will it be very infrequent? Thank you!

Thank you everyone! This was my first question on mamasource and wow - I really appreciate the time you all took to respond! I went and bought three pregnancy tests and took one to make sure that I was not pregnant. I'm saving the other two for other times that I definitely want to check (i.e. before a vacation where I would be wanting to drink or if I get sick, to check before I take medicine). Otherwise, I'm just going to relax and see what happens. Thanks again!

I just had my 4th child and was only able to breastfeed for 5 weeks. My other 3 I did breastfeed for 1 yr and did not get a period until a few months after discontinuing breastfeeding. My peroids were infequent for a little while. They say you are more fertile after having a child. Hope it was helpful.

I didnt get my period again until my son was 6 or 7 months and then it wasnt regular. He is almost 13 months now and it is finally regular but it is different for everybody

My son is 10 months old and still breastfeeding, and I still don't have my period. My period didn't come back with my daughter until 3-4 months after I stopped breastfeeding, she was 10 months old when I stopped and I got it when she was 13 or 14 months old... My best friend is breastfeeding and hers came back when her son was like 4 or 5 months old...

But talk to your doctor I've always heard it is best to wait a year so your body has a chance to relax. A few of my friends who became pregnant right after their baby was born (like before a year) had complications during pregnancy, labor and some even had miscarriages...

but lots of people don't wait and have no problems...
I would just make sure to get 2 thumbs up before getting pregnant again...

Just a quick response - I didn't get my period back til I attempted to night wean my son at 15 months. That said, a friend of mine was BF and got pregnant when her son was about 6 months old (unintended). Everyone is different, but my advice would be to wait til your daughter is one year, then night wean her. The reason to wait a little bit is that sometimes it is really hard on the mother to get pregnant again so quickly, which has implications for the developing fetus. I understand the rush - I'm having just the one (he is 2 now), partially because I am now 41.

It's very different for each woman. I know there are a lot of women that don't get their period for the entire time they breastfeed and therefore do not get pregnant. For me, I was exclusively breastfeeding my first son and got pregnant when he was 3 and 1/2 months old. I hadn't even gotten my period back yet so I didn't suspect the pregnancy until I was already 2 months along. Don't stress over it just yet. You may just be one of the woman that starts menstruating after weaning. Best wishes and congrats on your daughter! :)

It varies for every person. I was exclusively breastfeeding my 2nd son and since my husband and I were done with our family, even though I had not gotten my cycle back yet, we were using condoms 100% religiously. Needless to say it was a HUGE surprise when I became pregnant with our third baby (a girl!) when my 2nd son was 5 months old. It was such a surprise that I had no clue I was pregnant again for over 3 months.

Check out this website: http://www.freeopks.com/ you can get 10 FREE ovulation tests or 10 free pregnancy tests or any combination that equals 10- you pay nothing at all and do not give any credit card information or anything. It is from Sacred Heart Mission- a non-profit interested in helping people become pregnant? Anyway, I just ordered the ovulation tests so I can NOT get pregnant- 3 is more than enough for us:) I just ordered them and haven't got them yet but am excited!

I am a 38 yo stay at home mom with a 6 year old son, a 17 month old son and a 2 1/1 month old daughter. My wonderful husband and I have been married 12 years:)

Good luck in expanding your family!

Hello S.,

I had the same questions a few months ago as you are having now. I too am a little older (37). My son just turned 15 months. I bf him until he was 11 months old. We wanted to start trying right away.

I never had a period when I was bf'ing. And it took about 3 weeks after stopping bf'ing before it returned. My cycle was long the first month (like 36 days). But now it has returned to it's normal 31 days. We are still trying and hope that it won't take too long.

Best of luck to you!!!!

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Rather than repeat it, I'll simply add that you should check out Family of the Americas at www.familyplanning.net. They teach and provide materials for the ovulation method of natural family planning: a very simple and natural method of planning or preventing pregnancies that involves charting your cervical mucus. (sounds appealing, I know. ;) but actually very effective) Works to help you figure out when your fertility is returning during breastfeeding as well. I'll mention that the website "looks dated" but the information is very valid and reliable. Click on the "wishing to conceive" button at the top!

And best wishes for another bundle of joy!!!
God bless!

I did not get my period until my son was over 12 months old. It has been regular since. I know it varies from mother to mother even child to child. I got my period right away with my first one and my mom said she always had hers even with breastfeeding. It just depends on your own body so it could be anytime at all. It may not come until you stop breastfeeding.

1 / 3