Family Vacation in Florida

Updated on March 04, 2010
C.M. asks from Las Cruces, NM

We are traveling to Florida this summer on vacation and are staying at a beach house with a pool. I have a 1 and 2 year old and am trying to decide if we should purchase a life jacket for the kids (coast guard approved) that they can wear in and out of the pool or buy a flotation swimsuit, does anyone have suggestions or recommendations? I have looked online for flotation swimsuits that are coast guard approved and haven't had much luck, once you read the fine print at the bottom of the ad it says they aren't coast guard approved. We want to have a safe and enjoyable vacation without constantly stressing about the pool situation.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Dallas on

We got our son the puddle jumper life jacket by Stearns when he was 2. Love it and it is coast guard approved. He balances better in this device than a life jacket. Great for the pool.

Not sure what to do about the one year old, but hope this helps!

answers from Charlotte on

To be honest, C., it doesn't matter so much if it's not coast guard approved. You have to be in the pool with your kids anyway. And you need to be with them one-on-one, not 2 kids and one mommy. They are far too young for you to not be holding onto them or within a foot or so. So you are the life guard, not the guy or girl sitting up in the chair so far away from your children.

The flotation suits are a great idea because the kids are wearing them, and they'll most likely keep their heads above the water. The best thing you can do in the future is get them swim lessons at the Y. It's one of the best "gifts" I ever gave my children. They are excellent swimmers and feel so at home in the water now, and will for the rest of their lives, because we started when they were young. (3 and 5).

Have fun on your vacation!

answers from Atlanta on

My family and I summer in Florida and you will probably have no trouble finding what you need once you get there.

answers from New York on

Just checking, is this a private pool? If it's public and there's a life guard on duty, you may not be able to use a life jacket. It seems strange, but I've been at pools and beaches with some odd rules.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about "coast guard approved". If I were boating, I would want an approved lifejacket, however, if you're in the pool right next to them is "approved" necessary?

Next question: Swimming Wings for Toddlers?