Ear Piercing Healing

my 8yo daughter has had her ears pierced for a couple of months now. they are trying really hard to close up, so much so that when we take her earrings out, they are really hard to get back in, causing a lot of pain. there are palpable lumps in the holes. one ear had a little blood when we took out the post. the other side just had some old skin. she's almost to the point of abandoning earrings altogether. she's only been wearing the surgical steel earrings. i had a lot of trouble when i got my ears pierced. turns out i am allergic to cheap metals but aside from that, i also got some cysts in my ears. *sigh* perhaps that is what my daughter has.

any advice?

----

ok i looked it up and she got her ears pierced on may 1st, so it's been over 5 months. the instructions said to leave the posts in for 4 to 6 weeks so we thought it was ok to remove after that.

Let her wear a pair of inexpensive gold posts and see if that helps. I also react to costume jewelry metals but haven't had a problem with nice metals.

Sounds like she is sensitive. I would go to Nomad in Portland, OR for an evaluation and some reasonably priced surgical steel earrings. He is a professional body piercer who specializes in piercing children's ears. He pierced my daughters' ears when they were 5 months for the first one and 6 months for the second one). Both girls never had any pain or problems and they healed up beautifully right away. They are both very sensitive to metals just like I am, so I was relieved we went this route instead of to the mall.

Another option is to go to a jeweler and purchase sterling silver or 14kt gold earring for children with the screw back. This will make the earrings comfortable to wear day and night and they won't fall out. The back is rounded so it won't poke or irritate the skin behind the ears. Leave them in for several months to a year, treat with a gentle antiseptic (there is actually a piercing anticeptic that won't dry out the skin and keep it healthy) and twist daily to start to avoid having the skin heal onto the earring (not necessary with the surgical steel hoops) and then drop off to weekly after it seems like they are healing well.

Removing the earring and inserting them again or putting new ones invites infection from bacteria being introduced. This can cause deformation, lack of healing, irritation and more. So please either leave them in or leave them out until they are fully healed.

i was having problems with my daughter's too until a few weeks ago (3rd try for earrings). i finally got fed up with it, and took her ear rings out, and used peroxide on both sides of both ears, ran the post throught the peroxide, and the back of the ear ring on it, put the post in neosporin then back in her ear and neosporin on the ear ring back and saw improvment in just a few days. she's almost healed up (2 weeks). that's how we clean her ears each time...take the post completely out to clean...probably can't do that on bran new piercings

a lot of mom's and cosmo's will advise not to use peroxide because it kills good and bad cells creating scaring, but it's worked for me (i just threw away the ear care solution they gave me)

will have to keep using the peroxide for a while, but it's not getting infected an the "ball" in her piercing are going away

You're not supposed to take them out for several months after you get them done at that age (at least that is what the lady told us). Just clean them twice a day, turn them and she will be good to go.

Make sure her earrings are really, really high quality. She may be allergic to one metal, so you might have to try several: gold, sterling silver, platinum, surgical steel?

My daughter is coming up on 5 months with hers... and we still make sure a pair is ALWAYS in her ears. As soon as one pair comes out, another goes in, even if her ears are bothering her. It turns out that even surgical steel isn't enough for her. I bought her sterling silver earrings, and one pair with 24K gold on sterling silver... and her ears are finally happy.

Sterling silver is more expensive (three pairs cost me around $30), but it's worth it, especially if she is comfy. Are you still using some sort of antiseptic on her ears when they don't feel great? I still do with my daughter (and with myself, if my ears bother me).

It's likely that she inherited your resistance, but it may be more pronounced in her because she is younger. I can't say it's likely to go away, but there are certainly ways to make sure she can still wear earrings, if that's what she likes.

I agree with the allergy. Also, make sure that they are twirled multiple times a day. You may want to call the ped to see if they have any suggestions, or a tattoo parlor.

my daughter is having the same issue, we got hers done in feb..gold..........took them out for a week and had to repierce them a bit, now they hurt.

1 / 3