Cooking for LARGE Groups

My sister has asked me to assist her with cooking for a homeless shelter. She would like me to make some sort of salad/side dish for 80 people. I like to cook but have never cooked for this many at once. Can you offer up some tasty yet economical suggestions/recipes that compliment pulled pork sandwiches and baked ham?

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. It turned out that my sister didn't need any additional side dishes and asked me to bring 3 - 5 quart containers of ice cream instead. What a relief!

www.allrecipies.com They have great recipes, but the beauty part is, you can change the number of servings and it recalulates everything for you. With that menu - you have got to make cole slaw! It's a tradition with pulled pork sandwhiches. Plus it's very cheap and perfect for summer. I'll copy in basic version that I calculated for 80.

Jayme's Cole Slaw
Submitted By: Jayme
Photo By: Shalaine_1
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 15 Minutes
Servings: 80

"Shredded cabbage is tossed in a tangy dressing in this quick five-ingredient coleslaw."
Ingredients:
5 cups brown sugar
5 cups apple cider vinegar
5 cups mayonnaise 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon celery
seed
40 cups chopped cabbage

Directions:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (80). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (8).
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, and celery seed. Add cabbage and toss to coat.

Baked Mac and Cheese would be good with both of those too! If you get the cheese on sale you could do a lot of it for pretty cheap.

Baked beans are pretty cheap and easy to cook in the disposable baking dishes.

- Caesar Salad or Spinach Salad
- Au Gratin Potatoes (I always make my own to save $- just sliced potatoes, milk, cheese, onion, salt & pepper and bake... but you can also just get the giant box at costco.)

It's also worth it to buy the giant tinfoil containers. I find Turkey tinfoil roasters hold the most. For 80 people you'd need between 2-4 of them.

When I was homeless years and years ago, I would have STRONGLY preferred greens over carbs. Getting fresh greens you could actually feel the nutrients leeching into your body, and they're hard to get/ very expensive when you're on the street. Even the worthless iceberg in a whopper seemed like great nutrition at the time. And iceberg really is the fake cheeze of the veggie world.

mmm, yeah, baked beans sound good with that!!!

Mashed potatoes..mmmmmmmm. BTW what a good thing you are doing!

You can easily multiply this recipe.. Remember nothing with mayonnaise, should be made or served out of a metal container, so get a big plastic bucket container to chill this in.

Macaroni Salad
Ingredients
• 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained
• 1/3 cup diced celery
• 1/4 cup minced red onion
• 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup diced vine-ripened tomato (optional)
• 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
• 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 tsp. yellow mustard)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt , plus more to taste
• ¼ tsp celery salt (optional)
• Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and tomato, if using. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sour cream and salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.

If cucumbers are on sale, I add cucumber too.

Jayme's Cole Slaw
Submitted By: Jayme
Photo By: Shalaine_1
Servings: 80

Ingredients:
5 cups brown sugar
5 cups apple cider vinegar
seed
40 cups chopped cabbage

Directions:

Potato salad. All you need is potatoes, eggs, onion, mayo and mustard. It is filling, tastes good, and cheap to make.

1 / 3