Salt, may have given 16 mo old too much

Addi G. asks from Tinley Park, IL

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who takes the time to read this...I was making a pot of beans (half of a one pound bag) for my son and decided to add some sea salt to the water to make them softer. Not sure how much I added, at the time I just casually poured a bit in without thinking too much. They were on the stove for a few hours but the skins stayed hard and separated while the insides were pretty mushy (I’m not a good cook), so I’m guessing the insides absorbed a lot of the water. I rinsed some in tap water and tried them and they tasted a bit salty but my mom said they were bland...I gave maybe about 2 or 3 handfuls to baby and just removed the skins. After the fact (of course) I freaked out and started thinking maybe they had too much salt in them. I’ve read that just a teaspoon is enough to kill a small child. I called poison control and they said to just keep an eye on him. He seems fine but I can’t help but worry. Does anyone have any salt stories to ease my mind? I’m a first time mom who is very paranoid about things and makes mistakes. Thanks again!

Please log in or sign up to respond

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

8 Answers

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

Marda P.

answers from Portland on

I suggest that you can reduce your fear by thinking through your fear that is based on what you've read. Re the statement that one teaspoon of salt can kill a baby. That is 1 teaspoon!!! You did not give your baby 1 t. You may have put 1 t. in the water where it was dissolved. That 1 t. Resulted in water that most likely did not even taste salty. The beans, in total, would not even absorb 1 grain of that salt. It is impossible for a baby to consume 1 t. of salt unless they directly swallow 1 t of salt. Just salt. No food. What mother would put a t. of salt in their baby's mouth?

Trust yourself! If you stop and think you have enough common sense to figure out when a statement makes sense. Stop and think before you panic. Once we panic it's hard to think.

I suggest that you call your pediatrician when you're feeling anxious. They can think it through and give an answer. Cultivate trust in professionals and accept that when they say, "not to worry." They give you information on what to look for so that you can be reassured.

You naturally have an instinct about your baby. In today's world, we question our instinct because we have too much information. Go directly to the professional resource. Skip the Internet.

Updated

You naturally have an instinct about your baby. In today's world, we question our instinct because we have too much information. Go

Updated

Fuzzy

answers from Baton Rouge on

I fed my kid whatever I ate, seasonings, including salt and hot sauce, and all. It never did her any harm. Just made her intolerant of bland food.

Addi G.

answers from Tinley Park on

Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone, especially the replies that had kind words and lots of details. I talked to his doctor and she said not to worry. He does seem to be ok. I’m a single mom with severe anxiety so sometimes I get overwhelmed about certain things but not everything thank god. I’m just trying to do my best and try every day to “get a grip” as one lady suggested.

Margie G.

answers from Portland on

Diane made a good comment about play dough - I worked in a nursery school when I was younger and kids were constantly putting it in their mouths ... and I'm sure that was much saltier than what you are describing.

First time moms worry a lot. I think it's a built in thing so we keep our babies alive. Try not to be anxious about being anxious - then that's overkill.

Have the phone number to the pediatrician's office, so you can call and not worry when you don't have to. I think that's the advice I would give you. Then you can relax.

I find the advice on the internet is kind of hit or miss. Sometimes you get terrible advice and it just causes undue stress. You hear the worst case scenarios sometimes.

I worried unnecessarily sometimes with my first child. I also missed the obvious. Sometimes we overthink and don't trust our instincts. I remember feeling like a pro by the time I had my second because my first had survived. My husband was so much more relaxed because he hadn't read any books or listened to anyone. He just had fun with it.

So don't stress too much. Your baby will be fine and you're a great mom. Good for calling poison control but a few salty beans will not cause baby to overdose on salt :) Think of hot dogs, crackers, processed foods .... there is so much hidden salt in stuff ... and you rinsed. I'm sure it's ok.

Diane B.

answers from Westborough on

We all make mistakes. You did everything right - you called poison control. Hopefully you also have a pediatrician, one I hope you trust. If not, get a new one. But do use that 24 hour phone line - that's what it's for.

I can't imagine that he ate enough salt to cause a problem. The case of the child who died was from being fed pure salt and having the symptoms ignored, I believe. There are warning signs, and barring certain medical conditions, the risk is low. Besides, you were watching your child, so it's an entirely different set of circumstances.

So, this is a good wake-up call for hidden sources of salt - processed foods (even if they don't taste salty), and homemade Play-Doh are big sources. Go easy on deli meats, bacon, chips, salty fries, junk cereals, processed chicken nuggets, and so on. But that doesn't mean to never let the child have a piece of pepperoni or a few pretzels. You can learn to make your own healthy options (I made my own nuggets and oven fries, for example). You can buy low-salt options. A child really has to work to eat a full teaspoon of salt in regular foods and probably would find the taste unpleasant.

Put all your cooking and cleaning products behind childproof locks: salt, baking soda, Epsom salts, and so on. Same as you would with laundry detergents and everything else.

I'd suggest you take some simple steps for your fears. Take a child first aid and CPR course. We took one and it was great to work with a professional - I learned, for example, that a broken bone is not a vital emergency. Yes, it needs to be taken care of, but it's not a reason to panic. That was very reassuring to me.

Stop by your police department or fire/rescue department to see what pamphlets they give out on safety. Our PD has a handout on bike helmets, and they help fit the helmet - so many parents put a helmet on but it's way too loose or set back too far. Our FD helps new parents put in car seats properly (or help install new car seats for bigger kids who have outgrown the old one). The fire department is a great rainy day place to visit too - if there's no fire emergency, firefighters are usually welcoming to kids, letting them climb on the engines and so on. Also talk to your local librarian (an often overlooked, educated, free resource) about parenting books with helpful hints to help you assess risks. I see parents all the time who are afraid to let their kids play outside, go to the beach, go on a hike, pet an animal, and so on. We need to build resilient kids and help them take advantage of opportunities the world offers them, giving them confidence by giving ourselves confidence first.

The truth is, kids are going to get hurt and they are going to get sick. The vast, vast majority grow up just fine, and we parents give ourselves ulcers for nothing. Our bodies are strong and able to heal themselves with a bit of oversight and supervision.

Suz t.

answers from Sharpsburg on

it's good to be careful. calling poison control was smart, and they gave you good advice. but if you're 'very paranoid' about most things, you should get into the habit of calling your pediatrician when you have a worry, not the internet.

i can't imagine that what you've described will hurt your toddler. if it's edible for you it's edible for him.

but your doctor (or nurse hotline) is the place to start.

all moms, even experienced ones, make mistakes. but you won't survive parenthood if you remain super paranoid even after you've taken corrective steps. for your baby's sake, get a grip on it.

khairete
suz

ReverendRuby

answers from Menasha on

At 16 months he can eat food off the table, the same food the rest of the family is eating. He does not need a special diet.

Being a mom is not easy and there is so much info contradicting other info we easily get confused. He's fine and you are a good mom.

Years ago babies always ate the same food as the rest of the family. There was no food especially packaged for babies. Stop worrying.

mamazita

answers from Orinda on

As a first time mom your best friend is your pediatrician, or the 24 hour nurse line if it's after hours. Just pick up the phone and CALL, it's so easy! Advice here is fine, but it's certainly not medical advice. I wouldn't be too worried based on what you shared but still, you should CALL to get some professional support and reassurance.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us