White Noise? - Portland,OR

Updated on November 19, 2011
M.F. asks from Albany, CA

I never used to care that much or pay any attention to how quiet, or even how loud it was at night.
I live in the city and the cars and things never bothered me.

When I had our daughter it became MASSIVELY important to have SOME kind of white noise, the easiest was to run a fan.
We had to do this as every squeak of a bed spring, or floor board seemed to wake the baby.

Now, 6 years later, I can't sleep (and neither can our daughter) with out a fan on in the room.
I actually run the bathroom vent in our on suite bathroom and a fan in our room.
Our daughter sleeps with a fan on in her room.

If it is too quiet, I can't sleep.
Is anyone else like this?
Did it happen when you had kids, or always?

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

S.W.

answers from Minneapolis on

I started traveling for work last year, and I found that I only sleep well in rooms with a fan that I can have running constantly. At home, I'm OK. But in the summer I do run a fan to keep the room more comfortable. So it didn't start with kids for me, but I have noticed this, also.

H.S.

answers from Cincinnati on

Yes! 6 years ago when our first was born we got a white noise machine, and it has been on every night for 6 years. My 3 year old still has it in his room, My daughter and we all have fan running. I can't live without it.

J.F.

answers from Bloomington on

My hubby and I have always slept with a fan on (just for noise). Now with 3 bedrooms, we have 3 fans running at night with 3 ceiling fans on, too.

My MIL knows to pull the fan out when we come to visit! Lol.

We even travel with a small fan for hotels. Is it sad when you want to test drive the fan for the SOUND it makes!?!? Lol.

D.M.

answers from Joplin on

yep,a very long time now the fan.

R.D.

answers from Richmond on

When we lived in the city, we were 2 blocks from the fire station. After we moved to the outskirts of the city, it was SO hard to sleep without the sirens and J-brake sounds! I've always been able to sleep through the loudest background noise! My husband and I run the fan in our room... my girls can sleep through a plane crash, but my son has never known much background noise in our house. When he was a newborn, we had to spend the night at our friends house often because our power would go out for days and we had no heat... when we're at their house, it gets LOUD. So for a while, he was completely desensitized to noise, and then when we returned home, he wouldn't sleep unless there were lots of people talking and music. Now, he needs silence to sleep. We're a mess ;) I've started playing a clock radio in his room, barely audible, to give him the background noise he needs.

J.K.

answers from Kansas City on

my youngest son has to sleep with the fan on, on high speed. My husband used to have to have a radio on, on very low setting. I had to put a stop to that one thought, I can't sleep with a radio on!! Now we just sleep with a fan on also. My oldest son hates noise of any kind when he's trying to sleep. When my kids were very young, we used a humidifier, since they sometimes have a low hum. My SIL is the same way too, fan on.

L.K.

answers from Birmingham on

Before I had children I needed complete silence. But now that I have four kids, I have found that I have to have the fan running and my radio on just to be able to sleep. All of my children seem to be the same way and need some type of white noise to be able to fall and remain asleep. You are not alone!

X.O.

answers from Chicago on

When I was growing up I lived in the city, and we didn't have air conditioning, so I was very used to living in a noisy environment. I went to college in urban settings, so it was nice and noisy, as I liked it. When I got married and we bought a house in the suburbs, the silence at night kept me up all night! It took a few weeks of adjusting, but eventually I became used to sleeping in silence.

Now that we have kids, yes, we've been using white noise for almost 5 yrs (it started because I wanted to block the noise my in-laws made, and I only later learned about the soothing benefits of white noise.)

My oldest had a humidifier fan in his room until he was 4 and asked me to take it out. My 2 yr old sometimes asks me to turn it off, but if I do, he wakes very easily.

I can now sleep either way, because I am just EXHAUSTED, but the babies need it to fall asleep & to block the noise of the house.

L.M.

answers from Kansas City on

you could get yourself a white noise CD instead of running the fan. You get all sorts of sounds and it really works. If it bothers your spouse, you can put the player next to you on the night stand and turn the volume down.

Updated

S.N.

answers from Minneapolis on

It takes me a week or two to be able to sleep once we stop using our fans after the summer heat is over.... it is weird how sometimes it is hard to sleep in silence!!

A.S.

answers from Boca Raton on

I have the exact same problem, and it is a real hassle when we travel!

C.D.

answers from Atlanta on

This is a habit. Sometimes we're afraid to be alone and quiet with our own thoughts. My adult son does this and he's training his son to do it too, although I'm sure he doesn't think of it in this way. He needs to let himself have some actual quiet time.

E.B.

answers from Beaumont on

My story is just like yours. When I had kids....(everything changes then doesn't it??)

T.N.

answers from Albany on

Yes, we all have small quiet fans in our rooms. We take them with us when we sleep somewhere else. Gotta have that white noise!

:)

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us