Where to Find Nutramigen

Updated on April 02, 2008
B.D. asks from Glastonbury, CT
4 answers

We're transitioning our micro man onto Nutramigen - much to our financial chagrin! I haven't purchased the stuff in years. Any ideas of where I can get it in the larger powder cans and possibly less expensivly than Stop and Shop? BTW - nursing is not an option - wish to heck it were!

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Boston on

First, I would contact your insurance company. Because Nutramigen is a specialized formula, MANY insurances cover this and you can have it delivered to your house!! If need be you can get a prescription from your pediatrician and contact your member services department of your insurance company. You may have to make a few phone calls, but in the long run, it will save you time and money.

Good Luck

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Boston on

Hi B. -
I haven't bought Nutramigen in awhile either, but you may want to try E-bay for the larger size cans. My two daughters 2 & 5 both have dairy and soy allergies and are on prescribed formulas, which cost $42/16 oz can. It's outrageous and our insurance doesn't cover it because my husbands California company is independently insured. I turned to E-bay and have buying their formula through auctions for the last three years. It's completely safe and I've never had a problem. If you're unable to find what your looking for in the stores you may want to use it as an option.

Good Luck!




answers from Boston on

Hi B.,

I am the Mom of 2 girls: a 4 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. My 4 month old was placed on Similac's version of this formula due to an intolerance to milk-based formulas. She would develop a slight rash and spit up a bit. Due to this happening, they (doctors as well as our insurance company) consider it a medical response to intolerance, and therefore our insurance company pays for the hypoallergenic formula. I am not sure why your son was placed on it, but I am sure that it is probably a medical related reason. I would call your insurance company today to see if they will cover it. Unfortunately, doctor's don't tell you about this coverage- I am not sure why, as I learned about it from a friend. Most insurance companies cover this type of formula up to the child's age of 1...which is a financial lifesaver!

Now to answer your question, I have seen the large powder cans at Babies R'Us....but perhaps now you won't have to worry about spending the money for it.

Please let me know how it turns out for you...as I would be curious to know if your insurance company does pick up the bill for this....

K. Q



answers from Boston on

HI B.- I don't know why you need to use Nutragimen, but when my daughters needed it for allergy reasons, their pediatrician wrote "a letter of medical necessity" to our insurance company, and they covered the cost for one year! It was even delivered to our door by a medical supply company. check with your pediatrician, it may be worth it. Good luck!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions