Where Is the Best Place to Sell Toys?

Updated on July 31, 2008
D.H. asks from Lewisville, TX

I am trying to clear out a bunch of toys from our playroom. I'm wanting to know the best place to sell them to. I've never sold anything to the kids resale stores ~ are they worth it? I've got big items like a Dora dollhouse with nursery and furniture and a twin bed tent. I've also got many smaller items.
Can you really get good money at the resale places or should I try a consignment sale?
Also, if I do take them to a resale store is it better to take a couple things at a time or take them all at once?

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

T.T.

answers from Dallas on

Just Between Friends Sale! It is where i sold all of my DD big items...made good money and donated what I didnt want. Only thing is we decided to have a second child now I have to buy all those baby items all over again...since it will be our last we will be buying from JBF.

You have a TON of moms at the sale and you also get to preshop yourself before the public.

A.C.

answers from Dallas on

JBF!!! Just Between Friends is a consignment sale held twice a year in your area...google it and you wont' be disappointed!!

L.G.

answers from Dallas on

I have also been ripped off at Once Upon A Child. They don't pay much and I agree it is better to donate. They offered me a quarter for a $65 dollar jacket that was one year old!! Plus I never got more than a dollar for anything there. My friend was offered $1 for a toy they were selling for $20! Goodness.
Now I either donate or hold a garage sale. Mostly I donate but this weekend I held a garage sale to make money to help buy my son school clothes. I made enough to buy two pairs of Stridrite shoes (not cheap) and a 3-4 Carters outfits for my son. I only sold his old toys and old clothes (I had a lot) at $1 to $5. I have money left over too! Some churches will let you buy a table at their garage sales. Usually one table is $20. Also a lot of daycares and churches except toy donations. It helps keep the price of childcare down at some of the smaller schools.

T.F.

answers from Dallas on

I felt ripped off at Once Upon a Child and then I went to another place (now closed) in Allen and it was laughable.

Granted, I was not looking to make a big profit but money wise, it was worth more to me to donate the stuff to goodwill and get the tax writeoff.

I have tried to sell some things on Ebay to no avail. I hav enot tried Craigslist. I don't like the dickering about prices so I prefer to donate.

A.H.

answers from Dallas on

D.,
You could also check into a local MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) consignment sale. Check their website for a local group: http://www.mops.org

We have a group in Little Elm that does a consignment sale in the fall. You get to choose your price and you get a percentage of the sales. If you choose to volunteer to set up or work the event, you get an additional percentage. Also, all consignees get to go to a "pre-sale" the night before the actual sale so you have the opportunity to get some stuff if you need it. The best part of a MOPS consignment is that they only take stuff in very good condition. Toys must have all parts, batteries have to be in working condition, clothes with no stains, etc.

S.D.

answers from Dallas on

Hey D.,
I'm not sure how much money you can get at the resale stores for your stuff, but I do know that Kid to Kid and Once Upon A Child buys stuff from you. You could always take your stuff there and get a price from them on it, and if you don't like it then bring it home. You could also try selling it on craigslist. Good luck!

Next question: Which Is the Best Consignment Option?