Where Do You Get Your Birth Certificate If Born Out of State?

Updated on June 25, 2011
D.L. asks from Fremont, NE
12 answers

Well I have to get my BC for Low income Housing right now so I can move out. Though I lived in nebraska all my life I was Born in a Kanas Hospital. I am not sure where to go to get my BC and I don't want to do it online. Don't trust most online places and I really don't have a credit card I can use to do it anyways. So what do I need to do. I can't really travel to KS so what other options do I have. I really need help with this because its going on longer and longer that I have to stay here with out my BC.

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Redding on

If you know the county you were born in, you can contact the office of vital statistics and they can tell you what to do.

Best wishes.

More Answers


answers from Norfolk on

Instructions are here:


Since you don't have a credit card you can use you are going to have to use a check or money order (for $15) and go through regular mail or priority mail.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

You need to call the county where you were born. I ordered mine online, but I also called to make sure I had done everything correctly. They FedEx'd it to me in a couple of days. I live in MD and was born in Maine.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Detroit on

I am sure you can call them and give them your info on the phone but you will need to CC or have to mail a check which will take more time. Here in Michigan you can put money on a CC at Walmart and your credit doesn't have to be good I think they charge a small amount for using it but it would be worth it if you need it fast. If you have someone in your area you could give them the cash and ask that they give their information to the place for you. You might go to the local court house and ask they should be able to advise you on what to do to get it faster. Good Luck

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

I am getting right now the BC for my daughter, all I had to do is go to the DOH website of the Town she was born at, print out the form, fill it out and send it with the money order ( yes it will cost something) , in our case $25 by regular mail. Now we are waiting to get it. It is important to follow the instructions exactly or the request will be denied. We forgot to include the copy of my driver's licence the first time...This time I know we got everything right. Good luck

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Houston on

Here is the information you need for getting your birth certificate: http://www.kdheks.gov/vital/birth_howto.html

You can do it by mail, and will need to send $15. Give them as much information as you can (i.e. Full name, parents names, what hospital, city, county, etc). Be sure what you write has your signature. Even if you don't have a checking account you can get a money order for the right amount. Any bank can help you with that.

After you have your certified birth certificate be sure to keep it in a safe place. You'll likely need it at various times throughout your life.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

My sister went to the County Clerks office in Ca for me to get copies of my Birth Cirtificate when I was living in Tx.


answers from Washington DC on

I just recently had to do this to get my drivers license in VA when we moved here from CA. I had to go online and fill out a form with the county, print it out and then mail it back to the county (I was born in Orange County) and also mail a check for $19. I was told it could take up to 8 weeks to get it. It took about 3 weeks and I had an original copy that was certified. So, just look on the county website from where you were born and get it that way. Or just call the county that you were born in and ask them
Sorry I haven't read other responses, so sorry if I'm just repeating others



answers from Springfield on

I think you're going to need to contact the county in which you were born and ask them what your options are. It's possible they will allow you to send them a letter with your personal information and a signature requesting the birth certificate along with a check and a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Part of the problem is the increased security in the last 10 years. A birth certificate is required to get a passport, so they've really tightened security.

Your best bet it to look online and see if you can get a phone number. Then you can talk to an actual person, explain your situation and see what your options are.

Good luck!


answers from Providence on

Whatever town or city you were born in, you will need to request a copy of your birth certificate from there. My husband was born in Warwick,Ri , so he went to the Warwick Town hall for a copy at the register's office.



answers from Oklahoma City on

You will have to mail a check or money order to the department of vital statistics in Kansas.

If you know someone that could go get it for you that might be an option too. I had my brother go get mine once. He mailed it to me the same day. It was in my PO box the next morning. My mom could put stuff on her mailbox for the post man to pick up and it's be here the next morning too. Sure is quicker than the 2-3 weeks the Vital Statistics office told me.

We used our debit card to get the kids once we got guardianship of them. It was way easy too. It did cost a bit more than if I had gone and got them myself though. I was paying someone to do it for me.



answers from Gainesville on

Well I am pretty sure that you have to get your birth certificate from the state you were born in. If you don't trust online then your going to have to make some phone calls. You'll have to go online and find out where the records for that hospital's birth's are kept and then call them, request the birth certificate and most likely send a check in the mail.
I did order my daughter's birth certificate online from Massachusetts becasue i couldn't find hers and I paid more than I would have if I was in Massachusetts but I got it in the mail. (of course right after that I found my copy).