What Is the Crinkly Material Called?

Updated on April 05, 2009
R.M. asks from Salt Lake City, UT
8 answers

Does anyone know what the crinkly material is called that they put in baby toys? I've seen it in balls and wrist rattles, and stuffed animals. It makes crinkly sounds when the baby plays with it and my grand daughter absolutely loves it! Is it actually material or is it some sort of plastic or cellophane. I'm just curious, I've never seen it before.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Cheyenne on

Yeah, it's just cellophane! My mom was surprised how many toys had that in it for my son when he was born. She said they didn't use that at all in toys when we were little, but the kids really seem to love it! Just another sensory thing for young kids!



answers from Billings on

I think it is some sort of cellophane. I had a cloth book when my daughter was little that crinkled a bunch, and when I washed and dried it, all the crinkly stuff stopped crinkling, I think because it melted.



answers from Pocatello on

For the baby toy I made that had the crinkly stuff in it I used some really noisy wrapping paper. I have also thought you could use a chip bag or something.



answers from Boise on

It's the same stuff they make pretzel bags out of. I have a pattern for a soft book and it calls for a pretzel bag. When the book is finished it's that crinkly sound. Not good to just give to babies alone as it can rip and suffocate them similar as a balloon will if they swallow a piece.



answers from Provo on

i thought it was celophane too



answers from Salt Lake City on

Crinkle paper, cellophane is one kind of crinkle paper.



answers from Casper on

I don't know exactly what it is, but I know that it isn't fabric. Cellophane sounds like a really good guess - maybe more than one layer? Sorry I can't help more!



answers from Billings on

Thats a good question.

Next question: Infant Toys