Want to Hear Other Moms Stories About Ear Tubes Surgery

Updated on December 09, 2009
F.A. asks from Tampa, FL

Hi, my son is 22 months and has fluid in his ears from numerous ear infections so we have finally decided he has to have tubes put in his ears. He is scheduled to have it done at All Children's this coming Tuesday and I would like to hear other mom's stories of how the surgery went for their kids and what to expect afterwards. Also any helpful hints/things I can do to prepare would be much appreciated.

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

K.M.

answers from Tampa on

Have you handled his diet? Have you had a conservative course of chiropractic care- never have surgery w/o doing those. Usually ear problems are food allergies due to the lack of nutrition in the food today.
See WestonPrice. com.
Check the stas on surgery and on antibiotics and decide if that is the outcome you want.
k

C.W.

answers from Tampa on

I have a 3 year old that has had 2 sets of tubes and other surgeries. By far the tubes are easy. I know that what you don't know can be the biggest fear. All Childrens was very good to my daughter.
I barley even knew that my daughter actually had the surgery. The difference that your son and you will see after the tubes are in will be well worth this.

S.C.

answers from Tampa on

F.,

Tubes are nothing!! I have gone through 5 sets and each time the kids wake up smiling at the nurses and me like nothing ever happened! From the time they take him back to the time you get the call that he is done, will take no more than 10 minutes! The only thing I can causion you on is how you react when they take him back! If he sees you get sad or disturbed he will get sad as well and then you will feel aweful.

Just know this - he will be so much better off with the tubes! You will probably even notice that he will hear better, especially if the fluid levels have been constant.

Your son will be just fine! No worries!!

R.H.

answers from Tampa on

My daughter had the ear tube surgery (and adenoids too). It was very difficult to deal with the numerous ear infections, pain, antibiotics, etc... The surgery was a blessing. It was so quick (took about 20 minutes) and I really was surprised how quick and easy it was. It made me think that why I didn't have it done sooner! She went several years after, and didn't have ear infections. So, the surgery is quick and easy. However, you must take it seriously when they say no water in the ears during bath time. You should use Johnson's baby soap to wash his hair (very mild), and never use conditioner. Conditioner makes the water slippery and easy to go into the ear and thru the tube. We had one ER visit, due to water going in the ear. It was extremely painful. So, take every measure you can take to avoid this! They do make custom made ear plugs. My daughter never would let me put them in. So, I had to use a baby bathing chair, and cover the ears with my hand when washing hair. So, overall, best decision to have the surgery done, but more hassle with bath & swim time.

Good luck, I'm sure everything will go well tomorrow! It's a very common surgery amongst children.

R..

K.V.

answers from Tampa on

My son had numerous ear infections from 9 - 12 months (his first winter time). It was decided that he needed ear tubes and his adenoids out. As much as surgery is scary, sometimes it really helps and in our case it was a REAL BLESSING! He had his tubes placed when he was 1 year and they stayed in until he was 3 - with NO INFECTIONS during those two years. After his 3rd birthday and the tube fell out, we had a follow-up with the ENT. Everything was great and she said that this allowed time for his inner ears to grow and develop so that from now on when he gets fluid build up, it can drain properly and prevent infections. So far - he was 4 in Oct. - he has had one mild infection and that was all. According to our ENT - who has some of the best pediatric training around - Ear development completes itself rather quickly and ear make-up can be GENETIC - not diet related! If anyone in your family had ear issues growing up - your son may just take after them. Example - my husband had many ear issues growing up and my son started to. I NEVER had any ear issues and so far my 14 month old - who has had MANY colds so far has never had one ear issue either. GENETICS!
Anyway, the surgery was quick - ours was at St. Joseph's Childrens. I had to hand my son to the anesthesiologist and he was VERY good with children. They walked into the operating room and within 30 mins. he was in recovery. We were allowed to see him - he was still groggy and had IV's - don't be scared though it can look that way - I know, easier said than done - we had to see if he would drink fluids before we were allowed to leave. Once home - the same morning - he slept and was then a quiet version of himself for the rest of the day. I was told that he couldn't return to daycare for a week. I was told that within a few days, he would be better - he had a VERY bad infection at surgery time so he actually had quite a bit of drainage the whole first week. It was similar to a bad cold with a very runny nose. As far as mood, I think he was run down from the drainage but was still very much himself. We really had no problems and I hope the same holds true for you! All Children's is a wonderful place and I'm sure you will get very good care. Hard to do sometimes, but if we, as adults, can act as if everything will be fine and we aren't scared, then our children will do much better. Like I said, easier said than done, especially when it is one of our babies. We would gladly trade place with them in a second.
I'm sure your son will be fine. The Drs. and Nurses are used to dealing with worried parents so ask ALL the questions you need to so you know what to expect at home. Our experience was VERY positive and I would do it again in a second if it would help my child like it did. I am not a fan of lot's of medicine and such but sometimes it is necessary and is not doing harm! Don't let anyone make you feel bad for the surgery. Sorry for that bit of rant, but it does bother me when people post on here and try to say things that are negative against other's parenting. We all do the best we can and really use this site to hear others stories to know we are not alone - not to feel bad about ourselves as a parent. Everything in this world is not diet related.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR SON! I'm sure it will all go well and when it's all over, he will be able to get some relief and hopefully be rid of ear infections!
P.S. - Don't know if you have to stay overnight or not, there is a Child Life dept. at the hospital that can come see you and your son if necessary. They are child development specialists who help make the hospital situation as "normal" as possible. It's a free service so ask if you feel you can benefit.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us