Want Another Baby! ?

Updated on August 15, 2006
T.L. asks from Argyle, TX

I am 32 and have a 2 1/2 yr old boy. My husband and I have been trying to have a 2nd child for over a year and a half now. We wanted them to be 2 yrs apart. Sometimes we take a little brake from it because we dont want our son and the new baby to have the same birthday (Christmas). Well every month its the same, no baby. I tried the OV test kits and found that I am OVing on day 17 of my cycle (it used to be day 12 before my son was conceived). I was sure last month that we would have a successful out come. But nothing. I have had horrible periods with lots of cramping and bloating. My cycle is now going to 32 days, they used to be 28. This really makes it hard when I'm hoping to be pregnant and it appears that I am because Im late (or whatever).

My question is is there something I should try, other than the obvious, that I don't know about? If I don't get PG this month, then what should my next step be? Should I make an appt with an OB/GYN or specialist? When I make the appt should I say I have fertillity issues? I have no idea where to start and what to ask about. I need some real step by step advice and thought from someone who has been there and done that.

Thank you, T. Lee of Lantana

What do you think of Odette Limosnero, M.D., P.A. of Flower Mound Womens Care in Parker Square? I dont think my current OB/GYN takes me seriosly when I talk about my womes issues. So I want to change Drs.

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

J.D.

answers from Dallas on

T.,

You may have infertility issues, or you may not be having intercourse at the appropriate times. I would first look at this site and try these methods for a few months, http://www.tcoyf.com/. I was able to get pregnant using this method. I know how impatient we can all be when we want a baby, but try not to stress. It really is a waiting game. If this doesn't work, please contact a fertility specialist. Not all OBs are considered fertility specialist. Also, fertility treatments are not covered by most insurance. Keep this in mind when starting to look for a doctor.

I am going to be 34 next month and I have miscarried 6 times. I am going on 9 years of issues. I was going to a fertility specialist in the HEB area that I don't feel was treating my issues correctly since they kept focusing the septum they removed, so I have recently changed doctors. I am seeing Dr. Douglas in Plano off of Coit. He is considered one of the best infertility doctors in the metroplex and he is very thorough.

Dr. James Douglas
4001 West 15th Street
Suite 425
Plano, TX 75093
###-###-####

I don't have any children yet and I am hopeful that we will this year. I wish the best for you. Good luck dear!

*hugs*
Jodi

answers from Dallas on

Hi T.,

I have a great OB/GYN who also happens to be a fertility and woman's issues specialist, but he is at Plano Presbyterian. You would like him - he takes these things seriously, is board certified and up to date, and will offer you all the options to determine what may be going on, or what your options are. If you are interested in driving to Plano, his name is Dr. Christopher Riegel and phone #: ###-###-####. Please tell him I referred you, I have been a patient of his for 4 yrs and he delivered our second baby! Best of luck and don't worry!
T. Simpson

N.

answers from Dallas on

I know exactly how you feel. It took us almost 2 years to get pregnant with this one (I'm currently 10 wks!). If you know or have a feeling you are ovulating around day 17 then having a cycle as long as yours sounds very normal. Not every woman ovulates on day 14! I found my problem was very irratic ovulation, anywhere from day 20-35!!! which means I was having "cycles" that were a month and half long! The period between ovulation and your period is called your luteal phase. You have to have one at least 10 days. Implantation usually occurs around day 7-10 after you ovulate so if you start your period before that you don't have time to implant.. so it sounds like you have about a 15 day letual phase which is great ("normal" is 14 days.. that is where you get the "28" day cycle.. ovualte on day 14, then have a 14 day letual phase). One thing I would highly recommend is a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is awesome and easy to read. It will explain everything about your cycles and what to look for specifically. I was AMAZED at how much I didn't know about my own body! I know that book has helped many women. That book will teach you how to chart your cycles by charting all your fertility signs and also your temps which will help you confirm if you have ovulated or not.. just because you get a + opk does not mean you have ovulated!
So.. get that book, read it and when you think you are having fertile signs then you know what to do... wink, wink! Don't get sucked into the "everyone ovulates at the same time each month"... that is NOT true.. you can ovulate different every time so the key is to know what to look for. I would "try" every other day if you can until you are sure you ovluated. That way you cover your basis!

I had two very successful pregancies and never thought I would have infertility issues. My ob didn't take me seriously and I ended up using a Midwife. If you are open to that idea I highly recommend that too. There are SO many in the area and they REALLY listen you. I ended up taking one round of Clomid (the lowest dose) and I ovulated on day 17 (which is MUCH better than day 35) and got pregnant on my first month!

GOod luck! Feel free to email me if you have any questions! ____@____.com
tasha

A.

answers from Dallas on

My husband and I tried for several months for a second baby. I went to my OBGYN and she said that she does not consider it a problem until a year of trying has passed. She also said that unless my husband was on a new medication or had an injury in the testicle area since our first was conceived then it was not a problem on his side. Anyway, I asked her to do whatever tests she could even though it had not been a year. The first test she did was a blood test to make sure that I was ovulating and then a dye test to make sure that everything was flowing from my ovaries correctly (I had a c-section with our 1st-that sometimes scar tissue can block). All the tests turned out fine, so she had me use the ovulation predictor kits. I got pregnant that month. I think you should talk to your doctor about having at least the blood test done. My doctor told me that it is usually something easy to fix if you have already had a successful pregnancy, so there is no since sitting around worrying about it.

M.B.

answers from Dallas on

There was a suggestion buried in one of the other responses to have your thyroid checked. Some of the symptoms related to your problem are common for hypothyroid patients including infertility, recurrent miscarriages, heavy, longer, more frequent or more painful menstrual periods.

There's a quiz you can take on about.com to see if you may have a thyroid problem, as the range of symptoms is quite broad: http://thyroid.about.com/library/hypoquiz/blhypoquizi.htm

There is also alot of good information on that website in general, including a whole section on hormones and fertility:
http://thyroid.about.com/od/hormonepregnantmenopause1/

I recommend all women of childbearing years have their thyroid regularly checked as even if it doesn't impact your fertility, it can impact the fetus and cause problems breastfeeding (low milk supply and insufficient letdown).

I don't wish anyone to have to take thyroid medicine, BUT if you have a problem in this area, it can dramatically improve the quality of your life and the health of your babies.

I have found general practitioners to be better at dealing with my issues than specialists. There is an excellent GYN in Dallas that is very knowledgeable on the hormonal issues:
Margaret Christensen at http://www.healingwomen.com/
She uses salivary testing for hormone levels, which can be more accurate than blood tests. IF you blood test shows your thyroid is normal, I suggest a salivary test. She used to be OB, as well and I would trust her recommendation for a good OB if you choose to use her for GYN.

I have also found that if you have complex health issues, it's difficult to find a single practitioner to deal with everything. So, I prefer to take advanteage of the expertise of various doctors. It may seem costly, but in the end, I've gotten resolution to problems much more quickly than when I relied on a single doc.

H.B.

answers from Dallas on

I love my obgyn...Julia Flowers in Baylor Grapevine...She's awsome and comes very highly recommended!!! She's one of the best in Grapevine and it takes a while to get in to see her. She will start running tests after 1 year of trying. It took us 2 years to have our second!! And when you make the apt tell them fertility issues so they will run lab tests on you. Good Luck!!

A.M.

answers from Dallas on

Hey there. I am going through the same thing you are! We have been trying for over 1 1/2 years. My son is almost 2 1/2, and we also wanted them to be two years apart. Finally, I went to my OB/GYN, and talked to him, and then he ran some tests. His name is Dr. Timothy J. Rost, and he's in Baylor Grapevine. He's a strong Christian, and his office staff is great. I've been going to him since I was in my teens.

It turned out that my tests showed that I wasn't ovulating at all. So, no ovulation, no baby. I was put on Chlomid for two months to help my cycle even out, and help my body ovulate. I had to stop after the 2nd month of taking this drug because the side effects were terrible for me. I was EXHAUSTED all the time, couldn't stop eating, and my moods swings were absolutely terrible.

I've just decided to put it in the Lord's hands, and if it happens, it happens. Give Dr. Rost a try. He's so great!

In Him
<><
A.

J.B.

answers from Dallas on

I've seen a couple other responders mention this, but I've got to stress it more: RELAX. No, really, I mean it. The stress alone will make it harder because your body thinks you're in danger and that you really don't need a child right now (no matter what your brain and heart think).

You are 32 (which is still plenty young -- I conceived for the FIRST time at 34). You've already had one child so the chances of you being infertile are probably quite small. Change doctors, definitely. And then find a way inside yourself to let go. I say this from experience: We tried for a year and half, which included a miscarriage six months before I got pg w/ our daughter. The key? Gave it all over to God (or fate, or your deity of choice) and then went on vacation for a week! Relaxed, got lots of sleep and fresh air, ate great food, drank great wine, laughed with girlfriends, even got my belly button pierced. And came up pregnant a month later. :-)

I truly hope this helps!

N.

answers from Dallas on

My husband and I tried for 2 years on our own and finally went for help. It turned out that I had polycystic overies and although the ovulation kits showed I was ovulating, the eggs couldn't get through because of the cysts. It actually ended up taking us 3 more years of fertility treatment, but that was because other problems came up. Usually the use of Clomid will be enough. I don't know anything about the doctor that you named. I went to Dr. Walsh at Plano Medical Center and she refered me to Dr. Douglas when the Clomid didn't do the trick after 3 months. Dr. Walsh is a wonderful person. She went through the same thing and is so understanding and proactive. She will not mess around and keep telling you to be patient as many doctors do. You know your body and I would say that a year and a half is plenty of time to happen on its own. Incase you need the number, you can reach Dr. Walsh at ###-###-#### and yes, when you make the appointment with whoever you choose, you should say that you are having trouble getting prenant with your second child.

N.

P.O.

answers from Dallas on

Hi T.,

I think that after a year of trying to conceive your dr should be taking your issues seriously. Generally speaking, if a woman is under 35 and have been ttc (trying to conceive) for more than a year, then dr's are ready to step in with assistance. I think that the next appointment you make you should definitely say that you want to discuss fertility issues.

Also, if your ovulation day has changed to a later day, this will generally make your cycles longer. If you used to ovulate on day 12 and had a 28 day cycles, then (on average) your luteal phase (that time between ovulation and the onset of your period) was 16 days. If you ovulate now on cycle day 17, then you can expect your period around day 33 (so day 32 is about right). I know that doesn't help much, but hopefully, it will help to know that you are not "late" when you go past 28 days, so you won't get your hopes up falsely.

There is a website that I have been using (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/) that allows you to chart your cycle so that you can see trends. It explains how to track your temperature to know for sure if you are ovulating or not (a + opk only means that the hormone to cause you to ov has surged... not that an egg was actually released). They have a free section (for basic charting) and a paid section (more advanced features) but you can look at their help files for free (w/o even registering).

Best of luck to you!

P.

S.B.

answers from Dallas on

T. -

I'm not sure at what point "infertility" enters the conversation...you've been trying for a year, but you didn't detail what you're trying (um, not that I need to know, haha) - the best advice I got was to have sex about every other day, so you're kind of guaranteed to hit the date somewhere. The stress of trying to conceive could be a factor. Old wives' tale, sure, but there is a lot to be said for the old adage to stop trying and it will happen. (or get drunk every night - that seems to work for a lot of people, right? Just kidding)

But you did mention bad periods, so I wanted to ask if you've brought up endometriosis with your doc. It might be worth doing - maybe having an ultrasound done to see if you're having some blockage issues or something, some fibroids, etc. Have your bloodwork checked - low thyroid can contribute, as can B12.

Odette Limosnero used to work over at North Texas OB/Gyn (where my current doc is, Dr. Collins) - I saw her one time when I couldn't get in to see Dr. Collins - I had had a cyst on an ovary burst and she did the ultrasound and follow up with me. I liked her okay, but she did not seem as concerned as I was about this cyst (I know that's her job to just be calm, but it upset me) - I think she is now working with Guy Van Dell who also used to be at North Texas - I saw him one time, too, and liked him just fine - unsure of reason they left North Texas...

Hmm - not sure if I was helpful with all this, but I will say you need to switch docs - if on any level you don't feel your doc is taking you seriously, you should find a new one because you truly don't need that stress. Make sure to find a doc who has excellent nurses, as they are the gatekeepers.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us