My 5th grade teacher almost ruined school for me.
Admittedly, I am annoying. I'm ADHD. That said, she:
- Broke my pencils
- Tore up my work
- Kicked my chair out from under me (tipping back)
- Got the entire class to laugh at me
- Got the entire class to tell me why they didn't like me (those who refused also got on her short list)
- Would slam her hand down on my desk
- Sent me to the principal's office every single day
- Refused to let me go to the bathroom
- Told me she felt sorry for my parents for having me
- Told me my parents hated me
- Told me the only reason I was in the school play was because they wanted my mum to do costumes, otherwise I'd never have made it
- Confiscated my lunches
- Kept me inside at recess writing lines
- Gave me straight F's (unless I traded homework with a friend, then I got A's again under THEIR name)
- Pinched me
- Snarled at me
- Glared at me
- Put a picture of my face on her paddle
I went from straight A's, to quitting. Starting that year, until I graduated from highschool, I only did what I wanted to do.
My last year in highschool, the AP teachers found out I'd been tutoring their students for 3 years, and yanked me into the AP program... and if they hadn't, I don't know where I'd be today.
I had one BAD year, and 1 GREAT year... 6 years later. It was too late. My GPA was ridiculous.
I'm a 4.0 student in college.
So when I hear of a teacher ripping up work and breaking pencils, and the other students cheering that along?
I'm transported right back to 5th grade. With adult eyes, seeing Teacher Sponsored/Incited bullying.
Don't know if that's what is going on, but that's what it feels like.