Seeking Scholarship and Grant Opportunities for Non-traditional College Student

Updated on March 29, 2008
L.H. asks from Frisco, TX
6 answers

I am 39 years old and I am returning back to school to complete my bachelor's degree and go on to a master's program. I am looking for a scholarshop or grant sight for non-traditional college students. I have found tons of information for students who are graduating high school, but I have been out of high school for over 20 years, I have no clue what my SAT or ACT scores were from back then(1986).I did attend college after high school, but joined the military after completing 2 years. I have taken classes over the years at various community colleges & university's and I work in the non-pro-profit field and have over 12 yrs exp. in community & program development. I dont want to take out a loan and I dont qualify for financial aide. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Also is anyone aware of any dual degree programs for bachleor's and master's combined? I want to become a liscensed therapist and counselor.

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

Go to

AMAZING resource for all!!!



answers from Dallas on

I would recommend calling Wayne Smith at Argosy University. He is the Chair of the College of Business. He will have access to the information you need and be happy to help. Great guy. His number is ###-###-####. Tell him M. from Business Blitz recommended him. Good luck to you!



answers from Dallas on

Since you were in the military, you should look into scholarship opportunities for veterans. Other than that, please don't take this the wrong way as I truly do not mean to be rude, but what is wrong with taking out a loan? No body wants to take out loans; we all would prefer to be given the money, but that just doesn't happen most of the time. I am still paying off mine, but will never regret going to college. Congratulations on your decision to go back to college. I admire you for taking that step. Please don't let a loan discourage you from following your dreams. With a good job, you can pay them off in no time.



answers from Albuquerque on

My son is in the military. Texas has a program for military people to help with college. When the money from your GI bill runs out it pays for the rest. I don't know all the details though. Call the college you want to attend and talk to their financial aid department. They should be able to point you in the right direction.



answers from Dallas on

Hi L.,

Good luck in going back to college. What about the GI-Bill? Will the military pay for college? Also, for a "fast track" through a bachelor into a Master program for therapists, check out UT Arlington's School of Social Work. I believe they do usually cuts out a year on the Master's program. Their website is Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!



answers from Dallas on

Well, even right out of high school, I could not get a scholarship even with a 3.98 GPA, so I wish I could help on that front...I am still paying off loans.

I thought that some schools would give you some credit for life experience as it relates to your degree....might help cut some out.

Next question: College Education and Tuition as Next 'Housing Bubble?'

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

More Questions About

Related Searches