Seeking Paren't of Disabled Kids

Updated on February 15, 2008
K.S. asks from Henderson, NV
4 answers

I have heard recently that there are moms with disabled kids that have actually been paid to take care of thier child. I have a disabled son that his care has prevented me from being able to find outside employment. Even if I find a job I have to take time off work constantly and end up unemployed again. Does anyone know where I could get more information. I would like to know what the qualifications are and if there is a waiting list. My son is in public school and does that make a difference? Any and all information would be appreciated.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Stockton on

For a while I was a single parent. I was told to get SSI. I was getting about $700. per kid. Two of mine qualified. They will base it on how much your husband makes per year. I am not sure what the limits are though. My kids' dad and I got back together, so now I don't qualify anymore. I hope this helps!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Los Angeles on

Call you local childcare resource and referral agency. They should be able to help you.




answers from San Francisco on

For starters, let me begin by telling you that I have two beautiful children, one 12 and the other 2 ½. Unfortunately, both of them are Developmentally Disabled. Our 12 year old who is disabled by an incident that happened when he was just two months of age. He had what is called Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a major cause of respiratory illness in young children. RSV causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages he went into cardiac arrest, and with his revival, came a laundry list of medical conditions. Due to the lack of oxygen to his brain, he now has brain damage, seizures, cerebral palsy, ADHD and Learning Disabilities and he’s mildly mentally retarded (mentally he is a six year old in a twelve year olds body).

Well 2 years ago, we found out that our second son, now 2 ½ years old was born with Down syndrome. We asked for all kinds of test to make assure that our new child would not have any medical problems because we had enough to deal with already, and did not want any surprises. Well because of my age we were not allowed to get the amniocentesis; of course this was following my repeated request to have one done. Even though I requested three times, Kaiser told me no, during my pregnancy and was completely shocked and astounded to find out our new baby has Down Syndrome. At the time, as you can imagine, both my husband and I slipped in to a very depressed state, not sure how to handle this news. After everything we have been through with our first son and his disabilities to now finding out we had a second child with more extreme disabilities. We were not advised or educated on how to deal with this at that time. We began his required therapy immediately and educating ourselves with all the different medical problems that can go along with Down syndrome such as cancer, heart problems and many others.

After our second child was born and we were focusing on his situation, our first son started struggling in school, mostly with behavioral issues that started to arise due to his disabilities. He was having difficulties with other children, teachers and other supervision, which led him to be suspended from school. Because of the lack of knowledge that the Tracy School District has regarding children with different disabilities, he was suspended seven times for things that by law they could not suspend him from school. Through fighting with the school district and the state, I found out that they have been handling the situation wrong in the first place. With me having to miss so much work due to him being suspended and little due to his compromised immune system which is the reason behind him constantly getting sick and me having lost my job.With that said, up until this unfortunate time in our lives, we were financially stable and stable in our careers, both of us in the mortgage industry. After seven years of being employed in this industry, due to missed time off work tending to one child constantly being suspended and the other one getting sick all the time I was let go from my job. I spent several months looking for jobs, and with little luck here and there, I was not able to keep a steady job due to the care that both of my children require. My husband was soon layed off as well, now both of us without jobs. During this time, we owned a home and had a couple of other rental properties. As time went on, we got further and further behind in debt, unable to make our mortgage payments as well as our other bills. At this point, we are getting behind in our mortgages on all properties, credit is screwed up, houses are going into foreclosure. Well now that we have hit rock bottum the children are now able to receive service and qualify for SSI. Now that we have SSI for both children because they are disabled, There is a company called In Home Support Services Contra Costa County or Alameda county As long as you have medi cal they will pay you to be your childrens provider instead of going to work.



answers from San Francisco on

I too was looking into receiving compensation for disabled child. I called SSI and they said if we made over $1,000 mos we did not qualify. If other source available I have not located (but have not researched). Take care.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions