Seeking Financial Assistance Due to Cancer Treatment for 3Yo with a Brain Tumor

Updated on April 16, 2008
A. asks from Dallas, TX
5 answers

I have a dear friend whose beautiful child was recently diagnosed with a very rare brain tumor. Although they have insurance, many of the specialized physicians/treatment aren't either in their network or part of the insurance "protocol." They are anticipating that the hospital bills will quickly begin to add up. Can anyone recommend a resource for financial assistance? The family is local and beginning treatment at Children's in Dallas, if that makes a difference. All advice is appreciated.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

I don't know if this will help or not, but my nephew was diagnosed with cancer at age 3 (fortunately has been in remission for 4 years). When the bills started arriving, my sister called each doctor's office one by one and announced they wanted to do what they can to pay the bill, but that it wasn't feasible to pay the amount they were asking each month. Some doctors offered a reduced fee and others worked out payment plans. I think she is going to be paying the hospital $15 a month for the rest of her life, but at least she doesn't have to come up with the money all at once. Just have your friend be honest and upfront when the bills arrive. I think talking with a social worker at the hospital would be a wise decision as well; perhaps he/she could direct her in the right direction as well.

Hope this helps. I'll keep your friend's child in my prayers.



answers from Dallas on

I agree with the previous post - visit with the social work department at Children's. All nonprofit hospitals (including Children's) have resources for families that can't pay their bills. Some is grant money that doesn't need to be paid back, others are additional discounts or insurance-like programs for added coverage or just payment plans that allow them to pay off their bills on a monthly basis.



answers from Dallas on

The Social Worker at Childrens will be the best source for help.....there is Medicaid for chronically ill children which will supplement the insurance and there is a Chronically Ill Childrens Program but I think it has a waiting list.....the Social Worker was awesome when my child was dx with type 1 diabetes at barely four......each service has their own Social Workers so either call the hospital to get the one you need or talk with neuroology, neurosurgery or oncology. Both my kids have a rare neuro disorder that they have had surgery for - we go to the wonderful folks at Cooks in Fort Worth even though we live in Dallas....they might consider thoughts will be with them



answers from Dallas on


I don't have any recommendations, but I will be praying for them.



answers from Dallas on

Hello A.,

Definitely have your friends check with a social worker to get any kind of financial assistance possible. I do know that in the waiting period the company that I work for ASI Healthcare provides discounts for pre existing conditions with alot of healthcare providers. You can call for your friend to get the information for her or just send her to the website to get any information that will be helpful to their needs.

Go to:

I pray that they find the best assistance for them.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches