Seeking Facial Skin Advise

Updated on April 08, 2010
C.K. asks from Monona, IA
11 answers

I am 31 years old and for about a year or two I have noticed redness to my cheeks and nose. It has slowly gotten worse no matter what I do. I have tried changing my body wash, lotion, facial cleaners and lotions to no avail. I have recently done some research and think it may be Rosacea. My next step is to go to a doctor. Questions for ladies with similar problem, do I see a dermatologist right away or will my regular doctor be able to help? Has anyone tried more natural cream treatments and if so what are they and do they work? Little advise here!! Thanks- C.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Minneapolis on

Hi C.
I have rosacea too. I used to use only cetophil yet it didn't clean as well as I hoped & most tobees were too harsh. I'm on vacatio right now, yet if you can email me at [email protected] I can fill you in now on what I've learned over the years and what I'm doing now which is mostly good nutrition& I found some nice face products so now I hardly need any meds in just a couple places like the nose.
I'm also a wellness coach and work in the med. Field so I try NOT to use pharmaceuticals any more than I have to. B.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers



answers from San Francisco on

It does sound like rosacea. Lotions, etc. won't work for it. The dr. can tell you what will help.



answers from New York on

Several things, have the Dr rule out any dermatological problems first.... eczema, rosacea or something else, it may be contact dematitis some of which will respond to treatment using mometasone furoate (Elocon) ointment (best), not cream form . The other thing to try is anti itch cream, which is a cream form of benadryl, this is useful to... also there are some fantastic creams out there Mustela Stelatopia Moisturizing Cream or for eczema.... they do wonders.



answers from Minneapolis on

I have been on a waiting list for 8 months to see a dermatologist (in the Minneapolis/St Paul area)... so I'd start with your doctor AND get on the waitlist for a derm.



answers from Green Bay on

Go to a dermatologist.

I didn't have rosacea, but a different "rash"...I went to the gen. dr. and he gave me cortisone. It helped a little and then got worse. I went to the dermatologist and he said cortisone was the worst thing for it - it improves it and then gets worse!



answers from Madison on

I would advise seeking the assistance of a dermatologist. They are much more knowledgeable of the condition you have and the treatments available than your primary care physician.



answers from Los Angeles on

I use Bio Elements Sensitive Skin line for my cleaning routine. It really has made a difference in my rosacea. I am getting many compliments in my skin from friends who have seen the ugly side. :)



answers from Indianapolis on

It really depends on your insurance.

If you're in a PPO (preferred provide organization), you usually don't need a referral to see a specialist, but you do need to see a provider in their "network" for your copay and out-of-pocket costs to be reduced.

If you're in an HMO, you'll definitely need to go to your Primary Care provider first and then be referred to a specialist as needed.

I'd personally go to a dermatologist. Primary care providers are well versed on a lot of common conditions. Chances of your provider being an expert in dermatological issues is slim, and they're probably not as up-to-date on all the treatment options that are available.



answers from Chicago on

I agree with you! It seems that you have Rosacea! It's a heriditary skin condition that nowadays is treatable! I would stop using any products that you have at home, and go to see a doctor as soon as possible, if treated early it will stop progressing. There are many skincare companies that have a special line for Rosacea! Also, there many factors that triggers Rosacea, like spicy food, alcohol, smoking, sauna and steam rooms, sun and hot weather...



answers from Missoula on

If is is rosacea, intense pulsed light treatments can be really effective at treating the redness.
Good luck!



answers from Columbia on

Hi C.. I agree with the post about maybe going directly to dermatologist - it may help you avoid going to regular md and then being sent to dermatologist. If you do find out it is rosacea...... I am an Independent Consultant for a company by the name of Rodan + Fields Dermatologists (the two lady dermatologists who created Proactiv), and we have a great clinically based regimen that will really help with the redness and sensitivity of the skin. It was tested in people with moderate rosacea and had great results. I would be glad to help you!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions