Seeking Caregiver for Elderly

Updated on November 24, 2008
M.D. asks from McKinney, TX
5 answers

Hi, My father in law has Parkinson's disease in the advanced stages and is unable to get around the house. He lives with his wife who does most everything for him but they are looking for some help. She has a hard time transferring him from wheelchair to bed as she is a tiny lady and they are looking for some caregiver relief. Home health only provides 3-4 hours a week and that isn't enough. Anyone know how we can find someone to help out? A caregiver or nurse aid, etc? that is trustworthy...

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

Hi M.,

I know a wonderful lady, Irma Smith - she apecializes in personal Senior Care, "JustFor You" and she is also a Chamber Member. Her number is ###-###-####. Irma also comes to my Tea Room with some of the ladies she cares for, so the you might give her a call. Very, very caring person.

The very best for you and your family.

Alice's Tea Shoppe

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

This area is so new to all of us baby boomers, whose parents are experiencing the trials of aging with challenges. My Momlives in NY and I have a service come in 2 days a week to drive her where she needs to go, help with minor household tasks and some companionship. The woman is an LPN and the service keeps up with my Mom's medical and psychological situation with monthly visits from their social worker. As I drive around I notice cars with the name of home care services. Call and interview them to see what the best fit is. DO NOT hire someone from the paper that is not bonded. I hope this helps you a bit. L.



answers from Dallas on

When we were diving totally unprepared into the venture of finding long-term care for my husband's grandmother with Alzheimer's disease, we found They offer advice and recommendations for elder care services - I think they should have info on in-home services as well as resdiential facilities. I don't know if they will be able to help in your situation but they might - it's worth a try, since it is free, and that's rare! Another group I was refered to for the same type of advice charged $200 an hour just for the consultation!



answers from Dallas on

You can find adult caregivers at and There isn't a fee to look at resumes, but there's a $25-40 fee to be able to contact all the applicants in your area. You can sign up for a 30 day or 90 day access to the resumes. Good luck!



answers from Dallas on

I work very closely with a home health nurse. She owns Caring Hearts Home Health. Not sure where you are or if she serves your area but that who we reffer all of our home health to. ###-###-####

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions