Seeking Advice About Fibroid Issues

Updated on June 11, 2008
J.M. asks from Smyrna, GA
4 answers

Three of my dearest friends are suffering with uterine fibroids and struggling with infertility issues. Have any of you had similar experiences? Can you recommened doctors/specialists/ob-gyn? Two of the three have been advised to have partial hysterectomies with no chance of having children. Is anyone familiar with options for insurance for the self-employed? We could use any prayers/positive thoughts. They are also open to alternative medicines. Thanks for thinking about us.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Atlanta on

I don't know much about the problems with fibroids. Most OB/GYNS can refer to a specialist if needed though. I have two uterine fibroids, but I'm lucky in the fact that they haven't caused me any problems. The medical community has come a long way in fibroid treatment for people with a lot of problems though -it used to be a complete hysterectomy or nothing. I have a friend who just had an outpatient procedure (I want to say it's called mylomectomy)to remove a fibroid in her uterine lining that was causing horrendous bleeding almost all the time. This procedure leaves fertility intact. It does diminish it SOME, but it is possible to conceive and have a baby after the procedure. Of course it doesn't work for all fibroids. As far as insurance -we've had good luck with personal policies from Blue Cross Blue Shield.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Atlanta on

Hi J.,

My business is selling natural health and wellness products and I have a natural hormone balancing cream that helps with infertility issues. I can send you information that I have on hormones and give you some references for websites if you would like. Dr John Lee is a fantastic reference (not affiliated with my business but very knowledgeable in this area). You can google him. Let me know and I can send you more information. I also have a friend who can refer a specialist.



answers from Atlanta on

There is a procedure called uterine fibroid embolization that is minimally invasive and does not require an extensive recovery period. This procedure is done at several metro are hospitals. I know it is done at both Piedmont and Emory.

I don't know anything about insurance coverage, but I wanted my mother to get this procedure done rather than the full hysterectomy she ended up having. Here is a website that gives you more info on the procedure.

I hope this helps.




answers from Atlanta on

Dr. Echemendia. He's awesome and took care of my fibroid issue.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions