Seeking a Pediatric Podiatrist

Updated on January 03, 2008
C.G. asks from Parkville, MD
4 answers

Hello Moms! I have a question that I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help me with...My husband and I have a son, that will be 2 at the end of January. I have always noticed that his left foot, at the ankle, seems to bend in SLIGHTLY, and I've noticed recently that it's progressively getting worst. Now his MomMom and daycare provider have noticed it too, so it's DEFINITLEY something I want to get looked at ASAP. Has anyone out there ever had to deal with this with their child, and if so, do you have a Pediatric Podiatrist you can recommend? I'm very worried that he's going to have to wear leg braces or something along those lines, but I'd prefer to get the situation resolved NOW, then before he's in school. I don't need referrals with my insurance carrier, so I'd prefer just to make a direct appt with a Podiatrist instead of going to his pediatrician first, and taking that route. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thank you everyone for your advice! We will be taking him to Maryland Pediatric Orthopaedic Center (thank you Crystal M! :), after we get some x-rays taken. I'm sure he's going to be fine, but it's defintiely something I want to nip in the bud.

More Answers



answers from Washington DC on

Hello Mom! I too have had ankles that slightly turned out to either side as a child. My young parents never addressed this. I had chronic leg pain throughout my childhood and teen years. (My left foot is worse.)My parents called it growing pains and fed me aspirin. THANK YOU for noticing and addressing this for your child now!!! As an adult I've consulted several professionals. My feet still turn out and my overall leg pain has concentrated itself in my joints, (ankles, knees, hips.)Also, I have flat feet. I don't know if that was always the case or if that was a result of walking on the insides of my feet. The best, long-term, and immediate remedy for me has been custom insoles. (You receive a box of foam, step in the foam leaving impressions, mail the box back, and receive custom insoles based on the impressions and a questionnaire. About $150 for the first pair. I bought mine from
According to many online sources you may be able to nip this in the bud by seeking professional orthotic help now.
Best Wishes!



answers from Washington DC on

I would recommend either the pediatricians office (or infants and toddlers for an evaluation if the foot turn is getting in the way of walking, jumping, running, etc). It may be more orthopedic than needing a podiatrist, or physical therapy may help. Get their advice. Just because you CAN go somewhere without a referral, doesn't mean that the pediatrician isn't an important advocate for your child.

My daughter's foot turned in at the ankle, too, but improved as her arches strenthened with more walking and climbing. She is 21 mos and didn't start walking on her own until abt 18 mos and had PT. She preferred to walk on her knees (it was harder for her big sister to tip her over that way -grin)

Good luck, and enjoy your son.




answers from Washington DC on

I would recommend consulting your pediatrician's office. They can probably recommend you to a specialist if they feel its something that needs to be addressed.



answers from Washington DC on

My son has something similar, and our pediatrician referred us to an orthopedist. The orthopedist took x-rays and did some physical tests and determined that my son's issue was a problem with his soft tissue, so she showed us some stretches that we do with him a couple of times per day to try and "re-train" those soft tissues. We go back at the end of February, and if there is no notable improvement, my son will start physical therapy.

I'm not sure where you are located, but we went to the Maryland Pediatric Orthopaedic Center in Mt. Airy, MD. Their website is We saw Dr. DePass. Best of luck to you and your little guy!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches