Ripped C-section Scar

Updated on July 05, 2009
P.O. asks from Antioch, TN

I may eventually get this checked if the condition doesn't get better, but I was playing tennis and I think I pulled either the muscles around the c-section scar to0 hard, or I pulled the scar open itself. Has any mother ever pulled the scar after 4 months postpartum and how can I tell if it's serious enough to go to hospital? what symptoms if any would I have? Anyone with any similar situation. I am worried and hoping it was just a muscle pull and not the scar ripping. It is burning a little. If I don't have to go thru the whole PCP, timeoff work, Hospital routine for something not to worry about, I would rather not do all that.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

L.W.

answers from Miami on

P.,

Please call your OBGYN and tell him/her what happened.
If it bothers you, you should really consult with your doctor a.s.a.p!

I've had two c-sections and the scar can become tender at times (even many years later) but this is something a doctor should really determine. Just a phone call to start... it doesn't mean you'll end up in the hospital.

Best of luck and congrats on your new addition!

D.W.

answers from Gainesville on

Definitely give your doctor a call and get checked out. You can also get a hernia thru the scar so it needs to be checked and rule out any problems.

M.S.

answers from Miami on

I had 3 c sections and an emergency hysterectomy a few weeks after my third c section. I had the exact same sensation when I began to run to get back into shape 5 months after surgery. One of the ladies from my running group suggested that I was "breaking down" the scar tissue that develops around the scar. She had c sections herself and remembered the feeling all too well. Of course I still had it checked out by my OB, who found no problems. 2 years later my incision sight is well healed. Due to the risk of hernia, you should get it checked out but most women with multiple c sections who are active have similar issues.

H.P.

answers from Orlando on

P.,
I dont know much about this. I too had c-sections. I wouldnt mess around with this. I would at least call your OB to get their opinion. You dont necesarily need to go to the hospital, but at least get checked out by your doc.
Heather

S.W.

answers from Miami on

Call your OB immediately!!!
Discuss this concern with him/her...

A.H.

answers from Boca Raton on

Call your OB & discuss with him/her they closed you up they might remember if there was some to be concerned with , with the closure. Good Luck. A. H. R.N.

Y.F.

answers from Orlando on

I have had 2 c-sections. I would call and make an appointment with your OB/GYN immediately. You do not want to play with this. You never know if you hurt yourself internally. Hope you feel better soon.

C.V.

answers from Miami on

I started working out about 4 months after my c-section and something similar happened to me (I actually posted on here about it). I called my doctor and they said the pain is pretty normal. C-sections are major surgery and even when the scars have closed it can take up to a year to be back to normal. Thankfully mine only took two more months and then I started being able to get back to normal work outs. My doctor started me with 10 crunches every morning for 3 weeks. Then increase to 20 and keep that at 3 weeks and so on. If the pain persists definitely put a call into your OBGYN to touch base with them. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know!

Next question: Pain in Insicion 2 1/2 Years After C-section