Questions About Receiving Disability for Child with Adhd??!

Updated on November 16, 2011
B.D. asks from Augusta, GA
20 answers

I have been told from several friends and some strangers that their children are receiving disability for adhd. My son is about to turn 7 and was diagnosed about 2 yr ago. He is very hyperactive child..he goes non stop from the time his eyes open in the morning to the time his eyes close at night which sometimes can be late because he is so wound up.. He is in the 1st grade and does very well in school. He makes all A's and B's! He often gets extra credit on spelling tests for bonus words and makes 106 on those tests! but rarely studies his spelling lists at home. Im so very proud of him!!! Im not applying for my son because first of all he does very well in school and it wouldnt serve a purpose. He doesnt need any mental physical emotional or financial assistance. Also I feel its a "hand out" I dont believe in handouts. Its terrible that this is availiable to kids with adhd or add but for the kids who really need it they cant get it like a friend of mine her little girl cant get it because her parents make too much money. She doesnt have the right amount of chromosomes or someting..she is developmentally slow. she is 16 but acts like she 6. she still plays with baby dolls etc. Shes a very sweet kid! Does the parents income determine if she is eligible? Should she keep reapplying or get a lawyer?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers


answers from Washington DC on

I have to tell you I kind of cocked my head at this brother grew up with ADHD and bipolar disorder. I never once heard about disability with him. I am probably going to be lashed with this one, but every kid who has a little bit of extra energy lately is being diagnosed with ADHD and every kid who is a little bit on the slower side is being diagnosed autistic.

It really sounds like he is doing well. What kind of assistance would he need? Aside from what you all are already doing for him?

14 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

I agree with Mom2KCK. First of all, how is ADHD a disability? Especially if he is able to function in school and that's obvious by his grades. My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD about 3 years ago. I have never looked at it as a disability. The system is overloaded and this to me is one example of how it is. I'm sorry the only way I can see it possibily ever being a disability is if it keeps them from functioning. Like another said, don't get him into that system because he may have a hard time shedding that label.

8 moms found this helpful

More Answers



answers from Boston on

I have a child with ADHD and think that unless someone is desperately poor, using SSI (disability) for something like this borders on fraud. I know that technically it's doable and that if I have a problem with this that I should work to change the law, but I think it's wrong to access those funds for something like this unless it legitimately interferes with your ability to work.

To me, disability payments are for children who are permanently physically disabled, need round the clock care, are terminally ill, or so mentally unstable that they cannot attend school or be left in an after school program. My friend whose son has quadriplegic cerebral palsy, a ventilator, & 2 GI tubes should be getting disability to help offset the financial burden of her son's care. My friend whose son has mitochondrial disease and is on portable oxygen and a feeding tube needs this. The families I know where children have Down's Syndrome or are blind and go to special schools need this. ADHD? I don't think so.

Your son is fine. Don't label him as "disabled" so that you can collect extra $$.

ETA: Interesting that you TOTALLY CHANGED the question. For anyone interested, the original question was about whether or not she could and should apply for this for her son because she knows of other families where the children get disability for ADHD. THAT is why the initial responses were so strongly against using that.

11 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

Because I don't know and am curious, not judging, is his disability posing a financial burden on you? I would be hesitant to have the goverment officially label any child as "disabled" as it may have a negative impact on him in the future. again, please do not take these questions as judgement but sincere inquiries?

10 moms found this helpful


answers from St. Louis on

I had heard about this but the thought of having my child labeled disabled for money was beyond me to consider. They will carry that throughout their lives, for money, no.

It doesn't even sound like he is a financial burden so why are you even considering it?

I had one friend do this but for Autism spectrum. He needed her at home during the summer and the only way she could afford to do it was to put him on disability. She had to quit her job to fall below the financial threshold by the way. She now works part time and she is also a single mother who's ex skipped town. She needs it and he is a handful.

7 moms found this helpful


answers from Philadelphia on

i agree if hes not an extra huge financial burden, which it doesnt sound like he is, labeling him disabled would't be worth it

5 moms found this helpful


answers from Houston on

Okay I'm going to get bashed but if a family can afford the medical care, why should the government give them additional money? I understand that it is expensive but isn't that the risk we each took when we decided to have children? None of us were promised "perfect" children.

It seems that everything is becoming a disorder or syndrom. I absolutely do not mean to make light of anyone who has a child that has a disability, but I am concerned when 1 out of 3 people would be classified as disabled. My idea of disability is someone who is non functioning and needs full or part time care.

I sincerely hope your friend is able to get the assistance she needs.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from San Antonio on

you can start the process by going to a childs disability must be markedly functionally limited in all areas ... school, adl's, medically, etc. a dx's of adhd doesn't warrant a disability its their functioning and medical information from their medical records they will look at. Each case is handled on a case by case basis. No two kids with adhd are alike. some are worse than others. some don't respond to treatment and some all varies.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from San Francisco on

Isn't disability for ADULT people who can't work and support themselves? I'm confused by your question, do you mean he needs medicaid or mental health support/services?

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Pittsburgh on

I personally don't know of anyone that gets disability or SSI for ADHD.

I have a friend with a child on the autism spectrum (different, I know!) but she had to apply for Medicaid for him after he was diagnosed so that his services were 100% covered.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Unfortunately parents income is considered when applying for SSI for your kid (and yes, add/adhd is considered a disability). When you think about how much out of pocket is spent with deductibles, co pays, mediciations and sometimes hospitalizations, as well as therapies that aren't covered by insurance the $$ adds up. I called about it a while ago when my son was going through a particularly bad time, and most of his therapies weren't covered, and the max amount of income allowed for a family our size was some ridiculously low amount... below poverty level.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Denver on

Your friend's daughter won't be eligible for aid until she's 18, unless her parents cannot provide for her. However, your friend should begin keeping good records now, and getting brief summary statements from any doctors or therapists, etc. All the re-applying and lawyers won't make a difference until she reaches age 18. But once the 18th birthday is approaching, she can make an appointment for the day after the child turns 18. She'll need medication lists, doctors' names and addresses and numbers, diagnoses, statements from doctors and therapists about the child's ability to work, go to school, live independently, etc. Once she turns 18 the parents' income is not as much of a consideration.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from New York on

I believe the $ assistance if based on income. There is also Medicaid for those with disabilities which I believe provides better coverage than other types of medicaid. ADHD can vary in severity and I think it is evaluated on a case by case basis. I don't know why you friend would not get it for a child with significant developmental delays (unless the denial is purely income based). There are lawyers that specialize in this. I think the intention of this program is to help parents who can't work because the disabled child needs so much care and/or costly extra services.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

I just read that there are 2 million kids on disability for ADD/ADHD

The parents should be entitled to this for the sake of their child only if they truly need the financial assistance. This is taxpayer money so you are right to say it's a *handout*. I am happy to assist to families that need the extra assistance for their childs well being. If your friend truly needs the assistance tell them to file a repeal so they can state their case. And yes hiring an attorney can always work in their favor.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Louisville on

i did this with my daughter you wont get it if hes not having a hard time in school and his behavior is good. my daughters behavior isnt good and neither are her grades but they said they were too good for ssd which sucks bc the therapist and meds arnt cheap! but trust me on this one you wont win if hes "able to function" their words not mine

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Lake Charles on

As someone with ADHD trying to get disability as an adult is a nightmare. It's free to apply and it won't hurt to try to get it for him, you need to try now so that when he's older and he really needs it, it's there for him.


answers from Hartford on

So judgmental about assistance! How about this. The assistance for children with legal disabilities is for the children. It's to help supplement the care for those children. They are entitled to it. It's not free money that the parents are making a grab for. Do people take advantage of this? Of course, but that's not enough to justify being so judgmental of those who choose to take advantage of these services if they feel they need it for their child.

If your friend's child is legally disabled and they have the proof to back it up, yes, she should reapply. It often takes several applications before they'll be accepted.


answers from Phoenix on

Actually, if your friends daughter is considered "permanently disabled", she would qualify. My step dtr is 15 and is retarded, mentally about 5, same thing, colors, loves sponge bob, etc. Anyway, we don't get money for her support (will when she's 18) but all of her health insurance is covered by the state for life as well as therapies and care providers. So your friend needs to check with the state to see how she can qualify beause she should be eligible. Good luck.



answers from Dallas on

I do applaud your decision to not apply for your son. I do believe that if it poses such a financial burden on the parents due to copays, medication, etc. then they do need to apply. Otherwise - no. Now - as far as your friend and her daughter goes - she needs to keep applying and talk to an attorney. Pretty much disability coverage is automatically denied the first time it's applied for. They may deny it several times before they will approve it. Don't know why ! They seem to want to see who will continue to keep asking. She also needs to see if her daughters doctor will talk to them about this. She should be able to get it since she more than likely will never be able to hold down a job or support herself. Good luck !


answers from Orlando on

@live bold YES ADHD is a recognized disabilty by pyschiatrists. With that said do I feel that all children with it should receive disabilty for it, yes and no. YES if it's so sever the child needs therapies and medications ect. NO if they are relatively stable without them. I myself have considered looking into it because I spend well over 200$ a month in copays for my son who is ADHD/bipolar,and trust me if we could afford more services for him he would go! How nice it must be to have perfect children who never get sick or don't have any issues. Yay for you. To answer the question i contact an attonery to ask how it works.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions