Question on Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Updated on February 28, 2008
T.L. asks from Houston, TX
11 answers

Hello, I have been reading a lot of info on PCOS and I really believe I have that. How can I find out for sure if I do? Do I go to a ob/gyn for a pap smear? I've been trying to get pregnant for about 2 yrs now, and I have really irregular menstrual cycles. Last time I went for more than 7 months without getting one. If anyone can please give me more info, I would really appreciate it!

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will be setting up an appt with a gynecologist to see what happens.

More Answers



answers from Houston on

I was diagnosed with PCOS (or at least that was suspected when I went to an OB/GYN for infertility), and underwent several cycles of clomid without success for 1.5 years. I also had very irregular periods since I hit puberty, and had trouble losing weight. We also tried Metformin since it is believed that PCOS could be caused by insulin resistence. (I'm SO not a doctor, please look into all this information for yourself, or ask your doctor, since I'm sure I'm not getting the wording exactly right.)

I found out later that I was wheat intolerant (I went off all wheat products for a month, then when I tried them again they made me feel bloated and messed with my digestion), stopped eating wheat, and shortly thereafter had a sucessful pregnancy. Since the pregnancy, I've been having more regular periods and less intestinal trouble (I still have trouble with my weight, sigh). I really think going wheat-free helped my cycle, and I've read since that many women diagnosed with PCOS are wheat-intolerant (in this case PCOS is a description of a symptom rather than a cause).

Do look into wheat-intolerance, it may seem like a hard thing to give up wheat, but with growing awareness of celiac's disease (a more serious wheat allergy), there are more products on the market than there were even five years ago. And if you like to bake, there are a variety of flours and cookbooks to help you make your favorite things wheat-free (which is probably why I still can't lose weight...) And going wheat-free was much less stressful for me than doing infertility treatments!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Fayetteville on

My name is T. and for years I wasn't sure why my periods were irregular. Then when my husband and I had been trying for three years to get preg. and couldn't even with fertility drugs we went to a specialist. His Name is Dr. Prough and he told me I had PCOS after just asking me a few questions. To make sure he did an internal ultrasound and you could see the little cycsts around my overies. He is located in Tulsa.



answers from Fayetteville on

Yes you need to go to an OB/GYN and have yourself checked it is not normal to go without a period that long I just had a niece that thought it was all right to to go without one and did so for a little over 1 year and finally went to a doctor over it and come to find out she was bleeding internally same a period but not exiting her body. And had to have herself cleaned out and possibly ruinned her chances of ever having kids. So please have yourself checked! K.



answers from Houston on

Most likely you do have PCOS. I have PCOS and when I go untreated then I miss months and months of menstrual cycles. You need to find either an endrocronologist or a fertlity specialist (FS). You want to find a doctor that specializes in PCOS. Not all FS or Endos have studied PCOS. It's still something many doctors know very little about. I was diagnosed by an FS in 1995, however, he knew very little as to what to do with me. The common first response from a doctor that knows little about PCOS is to put you on birth control pills (BCPs). At least you won't have that problem while you're trying to conceive (TTC). When you go to the doctor tell them your symptoms and that you think you may have PCOS and ask them to run blood tests to check your hormone levels. PCOS sufferers have elevated testosterone levels. Some of the most common meds I hear ladies in the PCOS world receiving now is Metformin. But talk about it with your doctor, because there are numerous options for treatment. To get recommendations for doctors in your area sign up at There are tons of threads to find the help you need at this website.

I see this post is a year old... looking forward to hearing how things have turned out for you. I now have three beautiful boys from two healthy pregnancies! I got twins the first time around! We're currently trying to conceive (TTC) for a third and last time!




answers from Sherman on

I have need to find an OB/GYN you like because you will have a close relationship with him/her (lol). You shouldn't go past 4 months without a cycle. Its really unhealthy for your uterus and everything. If it gets close to the four month mark go see your OB and get medicine to make you have a cycle. Its usually caused by low levels of progestrone. You need to talk to your OB/GYN about PCOS and have a ultrasound done to be sure. Then once you get diagnosis,talk about you and your husband trying to have a baby he/she may or may not put you on Clomid. Clomid is a pill that will help you ovulate and you can better plan a pregnancy. My husband and I are going through the same thing right now. I hope I've helped you.



answers from College Station on

You can get a transvaginal ultrasound. It is a solid imaging instrument that is inserted into your vagina to get closer to your ovaries. It is not painful, sometimes uncomfortable if the tech has to move it a little sideways for a better view. Your ob/gyn will know how to treat this. Elizebeth Vliet has a Woman's Savvy Guide to PCOS book as well.
Best wishes.



answers from Fayetteville on

You can start with a visit to your ob/gyn, but insist on a referral to an endocrinologist who knows about PCOS. It is worth getting checked out.



answers from Baton Rouge on

Hey! If you've been reading up on it then I'm sure you are aware of the symptoms (they include irregular periods, weight gain, high levels of testosterone (you might have a high sex drive), facial hair, acne). Make an appointment with your gynecologist, and have an ultrasound done (they do it vaginally). The doctor will be looking at your ovaries to see if you have cysts. I think the usual treatment is birth control (which you won't need if you're trying to get pregnant) and perhaps glucophage (it's actually a medicine for diabetes).



answers from Houston on

I was diagnosed with this back in 2004. I know the pain and embarrassment that comes from PCOS. At first all the docs said it was just hormones. They stuck me on birth control to regulate my cycles but once the prescription ran out so did my cylces. @ times I went 10 months without a period. My smell was so horrible that I didn't ever want to go out in public. Finally a doc ruled out Thyroid problems. And thus was diagnosed after almost 3 years of suffering from this. I was prescribed Metformin, a insulin medicine. I found out that my insulin was turning into testosterone. I never kept on the meds and eventually it worked itself out. I never thought I could get pregnant but here I am with a 4 month old baby girl. We got pregnant when we stopped trying, or at least my hubby stopped. I hope this info helps you.



answers from Sherman on

Hi,I have PCOS.I was diagnosed years ago and it has been a struggle.My husband and I have tried to have a baby for 11 years with no luck.We have tried everything we could to have a baby...fertility treatments,fertility drugs,seeing a fertility specialist,having surgeries,artificial insemination.Maybe you should talk to your ob/gyn or seek a fertility specialist.I wish you the best of luck.



answers from Beaumont on

This website should answer most of your questions. Its a wonderful site. hope it helps

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches