My dog is a retriever/pit bull mix, and he also likes to chew. He is also extremely strong-willed. Luckily he likes the rawhides, but he will still try to tear up clothes and other things every once in a while. To train him, I borrowed my father's shock training collar. It's not like the barking collars, it has a remote so you can shock him when he ignores a command. I cured him of stealing my clothes when I would shock him once his nose met whatever he was going after. I would call him immediately AFTER. This way he would associate the shock with things he was not supposed to be chewing, then with my voice following, he would know I was aware of what he was doing even if he couldn't see me.
It's not inhumane at all. Having felt the shock myself, it's only slightly above what you would feel with a static shock. Most collars have different levels, dependent upon the size and pain tolerance of the dog. I only ever had to use the first level.
Here's a link to several of them: http://www.thepetstoreonline.com/dog-training-collars.htm...
By the way, never believe that "it will eventually go away" because it won't. Dogs have a very deep instinct to chew, it just must be controlled by teaching him what he can and cannot chew.