Out of Town - Letter of Release?

Updated on May 05, 2008
S.K. asks from Plano, TX
18 answers

My husband and I are going out of town for the first time since our son has been born (I want to look forward to this, but it's hard leaving my boy!). We are leaving a letter with my in-laws and my Mom who is keeping our son. What information do you put on this letter in case something happens to him and he needs medical attention? Does anyone have any suggestions of what we need to leave with them (info, etc.) that they might need that I might not think to leave? I'm leaving directions to all kinds of locations around my house that they might want to take him - phone number and directions to his doctor and local hospital. This makes me sick to think they might need it, but if they have it, hopefully they won't need it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

3 moms found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

You are all amazing! Thank you for the fabulous information. I have a lot of things I'm printing out with all kinds of information. All of your advice is phenomenal! I think my in-laws and Mom will definitely be covered with everything they could ever possibly need. But, you can never be too prepared. Thanks again to you ALL!!!

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

My husband and I went to Rome for New Years this year without hte kids YEAH!!!! We left a letter, more like a consent form that we wrote and signed, allowing my mother to be responsible for the kids. My friend actually suggested it and it was a great idea! Also, leave your insurance card and if you are going out of the country, leave a copy of you and your husbands Passport for whoever is taking care of the kids.
I hope this is helpful! Have fun on your trip and don't worry, your son will be fine!!!!


Authorization to Seek Medical Attention and or Treatment

To whom it may concern:

(NAME OF PERSON TAKING CARE OF KIDS) have permission from: YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND NAME to seek and receive medical attention and/or treatment for our children: NAME while they are under their care and supervision. (CARE TAKER NAME)are our children’s (DESCRIP THE RELATION TO THE KIDS) also have our permission to make medical decisions for (NAME OF KIDS)in the event that we can not be contacted. (name of kids) have medical, dental, and prescription insurance and coverage as follows:

(Insurance name) and SS# OF EACH KIDS

Primary Card holder: NAME
Dependents: YOUR KIDS NAME
See attached copy of Insurance information


Please contact us with any questions and or concerns:
We will be out-of-town: December 27, 2007 – January 2, 2008
Mailing address:

Important Info. And #s:

Pediatrician is: Name and number
Dentist: Name and number

Acute Care Kids:
(after hours medical care):
(214) ###-###-####

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Hi S.,

Just type of a letter and put on the title "LIABILITY AUTHORIZATION" OR authorization for liability & care....

We, _________________ (blank line) print your and your husband's name on it, do hereby give authorization to ___________________(whomever that might be) for any medical treatment and authorize them to make any decision that is in the best interest of my son, __________________ (his name)....and so forth, so that they will have it in case they do need it.

You can then sign it at the bottom.

Very simple and it will hold up if there is a question, as long as it is dated and signed by both of you.

I did this as well, when I first left my son in my sister's care when we flew to Vegas for 3 days. They obvioulsy didn't need it, but had it if need be.


2 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

We, too just went through the same thing. We left our twin boys at 10 months old for a week. It was so hard. I left everything in a 3 ring binder-every document in a sheet protector labeled. Leave a copy of yours & your husbands Health Ins. Card, Rx Card, Drivers License, if you have a second Bank Card(obviously with someone that you really trust), directions to nearest hospital, Care Now, Pediatrician...any and everything you could possibly think of. Lists of approved foods, allergies... I could go on. On the Release of Liability, make sure that in there it details which person ( or 2 at most) will be making any decisions in the hospital in an emergency. The hospitals have to have a consent to treat especially if there is surgery involved (God forbid). And I don't mean to scare you, but make sure that you have put thought and money aside for an emergency trip home. It's true. You want to look forward to your trip-and I promise, once you are completely organized and know that you have not left anything out, you will really enjoy yourself. Have a safe trip.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on


I can't find the form we've used but here is a website with 2 emergency release forms that you can print and add your information to. Be sure to have them notorized. We took ours to our bank and they did it for free.


I don't know if this will make you feel any better but a couple years ago, when our son was 2, my husband and I went on a trip for the first time without him. He stayed with my parents. I worried that he would be so upset without us but he had a blast. Have your mom/in-laws take pictures of the things they do with your son. It was neat for us to see the fun things he got to do while we were gone.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

My daughter is 12 and this year she flew to visit grandparents for a week. This was very scary for me but you have to let go at some point. She is a trooper at flying since she has done it since she was born.

I sent a notorized letter stating who would be caring for her during her stay and I also sent her insurance card.

Of course we had no trouble but as a parent you do have the constant worry. It sounds like you have received great advice. Have fun on your trip!


1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

leaving your insurance card would be helpful, and a letter stating that your mom, father in-law etc, (include names) has the authority to give your child (include name) medical attention. I am not sure about other specific info, but hopefully some of the other moms will come through for ya! Have a great vacation!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

We left our kids with my parents when we left town in June. They both have major allergies (including foods) and asthma.

We typed up a medical authorization form. Basically it states that you authorize (your in-laws and your mom) to seek and obtain medical treatment for your son if necessary. We listed the pediatrician, allergist, and hospital of preference on the form. We then had it notorized. The UPS stores have a public notary.

For my parents, I created a simple chart so that they could check off when each child had each medicine. My kids take a lot of meds between the two of them plus we have the emergency meds as well.

I hope this helps! Have a great time. It will be good for all of you to have this little break.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Since everyone else has given great advice on the medical side here is something else. You may want to leave them a note on what foods your son abosolutely hates & the ones he adores, what his favorite books/toys are, any special routines that help calm him and other things of that nature. Have a safe & wonderful trip!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Call your doctor's office - we signed a form for my mother and father to be able to make decisions regarding his health. They keep it on file at the pedi's office and since he is affiliated with Cook's it takes care of Cook's Urgent Care and ER. I would make sure to leave your medical insurance card. I bought this really great babysitter's board from One Step Ahead that you can leave info on. Also, I bought babysitter pads from a company called knockknock.biz. They are great! They have schedule's, allergies, phone numbers, etc. on them. If you live close I can bring you some pages. Good luck! I know how hard is it to leave them! Enjoy your time away!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

you've received excellent advice so far...I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone say to go ahead and pre-register with the hospitals in the area. Just go in with insurance cards, etc. and tell them your wishes for treatment. They'll keep it on file and in the case of an emergency, they will already have ALL necessary info, including any release from you. This is the absolute best way to ensure there is no issue with care should it be needed. The hospital, depending on the mood of the employees that day and other consideration - may or may not "honor" a letter that your parents walk in with, and it may take a few calls to different people to settle it which could cost valuable time, but they will imediately honor instructions that are already in the computer.

I'm sure everything will be fine, but good for you for thinking ahead and preparing. It will help you have a good time to know things will be handled properly without you. So go and relax and enjoy being just a twosome again...Have a safe and fun trip!


1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

check the microsoft website to get a template for a medical release waiver. i used to have one but i can't locate it so probably deleted by accident. there are many good templates on the web, just find one you like, cut and paste and insert your own data and anything else that you'd like to have on there. include a copy of the insurance card and your pharmacy phone number and benefits card, along with all of the info where you will be, cell numbers, allergy info, etc. remember that we are never really in control - and that they are really never ours... children are a gift from God and every day with them is a blessing. go and have fun - everything will be okay!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

First of all, it might be best to leave major medical decision making to one person, in case some thing happens and for any reason your parents and in laws disagree on the best course of treatment. Also, be sure that you put his height and weight, and maybe even a shot record. I also like to check all medications and leave a list of correct dosages for each child. And, one final note, I would make sure that they know what to do if something were to happen to both of you (again God forbid) I like to make sure all of that is taken care of so that there is no reason for the courts to have to step in if there were to be an accident involving both of you. Obviously, it is so unlikely that anything will happen, but I travel much better if I know that all of my ducks are in a row before I leave. Have a super fun time, and try to relax a little! ~A.~

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Immunization records, permission for treatment,any allergies. Just make sure they have all contacts of phone numbers and where you are. Better safe then sorry. I have a day care and those are what we need. Permission to swim or whatever. They would not let the child die as they would face liability. I had a chief of police in our little town tell us not to even carry medical cards as she had her idenity stolen. She told us that they would not let you die. I always keep my cards with me even though she told us that. I had a child get hurt years ago when I was a teenager and they basically would not do anything until mom was there. She had picked up some glass in the sidewalk and threw it and it caught her finger. Grandparents have raised children and they will be very careful with your bundle of joy. Have a great trip. G. W



answers from Dallas on

All you need is to say:

I authorize __________ to seek any medical attention necessary for (insert son's name). And sign and date.

That should be sufficient for most hospitals and doctors. As far as I know you don't need to have it notorised (sp?) We keep a statement like this at all of the grandparent's houses just in case.

Make sure you leave a list of any medications he is allergic to.

I know it's hard but try not to worry. I'm sure he will be fine. =)



answers from Dallas on

We recently took my neice to FL on our family vacation. We made my brother get the letter notarized for extra security. I was so worried that something would happen to her and we the hospital would not give us permission to treat even with the letter. It is better safe than sorry and you can get something notarized for free at you bank branch.

Have fun!



answers from Dallas on

It is so much better to be safe than sorry - list any alergies - food and or medications - along with what you said: Dr. name and phone numbers oh and what Drug store you use - what he liks to sleep with and how you usually put him to sleep at night or for a nap - I am a grandmother and have had my grandsons many a time - always had info on hand just in case but never needed it. Be sure to tell your son you are leaving don't just leave -I taught 2 years olds for 20 years so I know that age very well.



answers from Dallas on

I have left a letter of release with my parents before. I just stated that they had permission to have him treated at the doctor, etc. I put the dates that they would be keeping him, then I had it notarized (free) at the bank. I then gave my parents his insurance card. Also - I'm sure you thought of this - give them all the information on his doctors, nearby emergency rooms, etc.
Have a great trip,

Next question: Authorizing Medical Care for Son Staying with Relatives