Need Referral to Psychiatrist Who Understands and Treats ADD

Updated on January 14, 2010
D.S. asks from Bethesda, MD
5 answers

I have come to understand and accept the fact that my daughter has probably inherited my mild inattentive form of ADD. Both of us achieve, so we would never be "picked up" by the system. However, it has and is making an impact on both of us. We both feel it is holding us back. Why be good if you can be great! We probably both need to be on some medication. Does anyone have the name of a practitioner who really understands and can treat ADD, either child or adult. We live in Bethesda. Thanks in advance.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Washington DC on

I am also looking for a psychiatrist in the Columbia area who can help with medication management for ADD/ADHD for my stepdaughter.

I read a number of books on the subject a few years back. The one that I found to be most helpful was "ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life" by Judith Kolberg and Kathleen Nadeau. I liked the way the book was organized, into little "bites", which makes it easier to read. I also thought they had some very practical and realistic ideas. When tackling a messy or cluttered room, they suggest covering part of the room with a sheet, so that you only focus on a small manageable part. Their ideas are very easy to incoporate into your regular life without making any dramatic changes.

In our house, we've found the use of ticking timers to be a big help to remember that time is moving and see the amount of time left for a task. We're also big on routines, handheld lists, and dry erase boards.

I hope some of that helps you. Good Luck!



answers from Washington DC on

You might want to start with getting some information from CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder), There are local chapters and you could find one nearby that might be helpful to you with giving you recommendations.



answers from Greensboro on

I have a blog with information regarding diet and behavioral interventions that help kids with primarily inattentive adhd. The URL is



answers from Washington DC on

I have a friend who's son sees a child psychiatrist and she just raves about him. Her son, who is now a teen, has been seeing him for several years and really likes him. High praise coming from a teen! Her son has Asperger's Syndrome and anxiety issues, but Dr. Daniolos addresses many different challenges.

ADD is a double edged sword, people who have it are generally very bright and extremely creative. It does make it hard to fit into the little round peg holes schools/society try to push you into.

A good therapist is also a good idea, they can help you both with developing strategies to make your lives the best they can be. The group CHAAD is also a good resource.

Good luck to you both.

Peter T Daniolos, MD
Pediatric Psychiatry, Psychiatry, Psychiatry - Adolescent, Neurology

Contact Information:

111 Michigan Avenue North West
Washington, DC 20010

4900 Massachusetts Avenue North West Suite 320
Washington, DC 20016

14801 Physicians Lane Suite 173
Rockville, MD 20850



answers from Washington DC on

Dr. Kobylski in Mclean is known for treating ADD.

I recommend "Delivered from Distraction" for a positive discussion about ADD and practical solutions for treating it.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions