Need a Great Divorce Lawyer

Updated on September 27, 2009
L.R. asks from Sacramento, CA
5 answers

All right mamas! First time request, though I have given lots of advice. My husband of 9 yrs has decided he wants to separate. This is the kicker, he wants to live in the same house and be roomies until the housing market changes. We own a home that isn't worth what we owe, nor if the remodel complete. While I recently received a promotion with raise, his business isn't doing as well and I'm making more money. I can't afford to pay the mortgage by myself and he can't contribute $ if he has to pay rent. I am also worried about custody of our 4 yr old daughter. I want to keep things as consistent as possible and don't trust him to take good care of her. He's too selfish. An example: my daughter woke up last Saturday at 2am with a VERY painful UTI and she was afraid to pee because it hurt so much. His suggestion was to either leave her on the toilet and she can call for me when she was done or put a diaper on and put her back to bed. She was crying, scared and in pain! So....I need the toughest,meanest lawyer I can find. I don't want to make this too long, but needless to say I am not going to be super nice about this. I will do what I need to for my daughter's sake and be civil, but I refuse to make this easy for him. Give me some advice and words of wisdom, please?

A little more info- my in-laws are furious with him. He is being completely irresponsible and selfish. I have spoken extensively with them regarding the situation and they side with me 100%, even urging me to kick him out. I'm not too worried about my job. Just to let everyone know, I have been a VERY supportive and giving wife over the last 9 yrs, to such an extent that it sickens me. This is NOT just a matter of trying harder. He does drink every day, not to the point of falling down drunk, just a good buzz. His reasons for leaving are he doesn't feel a connection with me, that the "problems" we've had have never gone away (he never did any changing to correct them, just me) and that I am not as social and he wants to go party. Believe me, I have tried and tried. I've asked him to leave and he won't. I would like to know if it is possible to kick him out.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Sacramento on

Hi there: I am sorry you are having to go through this situation but I believe you have already figured out that it is better for your wellbeing to get divorced. I work in the same office as a family law attorney and I see the work he does and I believe him to be very aggressive and true to his clients. I recommend him highly. His name is Kevin M. Cecil 735 University Avenue Sac ###-###-#### his webpage is so you can check this out too. If you do make an appointment, let him know that you were referred by T. Y.. He will take good care of you, I know.

Good luck and I wish you peace through this difficult period.

T. Y.



answers from Sacramento on

I don't have the name of a lawyer, but I wanted to make sure that you had thought about one thing....
you work with your husband (whom you are getting a divorce) AND you work FOR your FATHER IN LAW..... all I can say is BE CAREFUL!!! You mentioned that you are not going to make this easy on him and it sounds as if you are going for custody because he is selfish and you worry about the care your daughter will receive when with him.... this whole situation could get very ugly and you may end up without a job. Please look out for yourself... best of luck... I wish the best for you and your daughter.



answers from Sacramento on

Hi. If you are in the Sacramento area, Kristine Cummings is the best. I used her when I lived in Texas and my ex-husband was in Sacramento because the attorney I had hired was a jerk and didn't do what he was supposed to do and my ex-husband was being a jerk as well. I found her online... well, actually, I found another attorney online and he referred me to her. She is very ballsy and just takes care of business. I got everything I wanted which including selling the house we shared and me getting my share of equity... my ex said there was no way I was going to get anything. I also felt she was reasonable. She was given a retainer and she used it wisely. I would refer none other.

Her info is:

Kristine Cummings
3336 Bradshaw Road, Suite 140
Sacramento, CA 95827
[email protected]



answers from Sacramento on

I don't have the name of a divorce lawyer, but I wanted to point something out that might be worth keeping in mind.

You comment that you just got a promotion with a raise and that he doesn't make much money. I can understand wanting to be sure that you don't want him to take advantage of you, particularly with the disparity in your income, however...

You might not want to really get the toughest, meanest lawyer you can find if your primary source of income is a job where you work for your father-in-law.

If you make this contentious you could find things getting difficult (or worse) at your job. Even if he deserves everything and more, parents tend to react when someone goes after their child, no matter how old (or deserving) they might be.



answers from Sacramento on

You don't say why he wants a separation. If you really want to do what's best for your daughter (and he's not an addict, cheating on you, or abusive) then having him staying under the same roof would give you the opportunity to continue to work on the marriage and see if you can't figure out a way to make it work. If you act in a loving way (even if you don't feel like it!) then the emotions will follow. Plus, having him right there will allow him to continue to parent your daughter most effectively.

If you even consider this option, I suggest reading a couple of books by Dr. Laura (heck, calling her for advice would probably really help too!) Try "Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage" and "Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands."

I hope that you'll find that you no longer need a divorce lawyer! Good luck to all three of you -


For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions