My 2 Yr Old Eyes

Updated on September 03, 2010
K.S. asks from Albany, CA
15 answers

my 2 1/2 year old has a wandering left eye she will be looking at some thing in a daze then look at me and her right eye will be looking at me while her left eye wanders to me then out of no where she will do a little shake like shes snapping out of a trance
is this something i should be worried about?

now her eye when she woke up is oozing yellow goop
hospital today

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Seattle on

It's not normal for an eye to wander, but common enough that you'll have options on how to solve the problem. She may need a patch over her right eye to strengthen the muscles in her left eye. Definitely make an appt for her to see a pediatric opthamalogist.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers


answers from Raleigh on

I would talk to your doctor about this. I nannied for a little boy who had a lazy eye and he had to have eye patch therapy to correct it. I also know a little girl who needed surgery. The sooner you find out what exactly is wrong with her eye, the sooner it can get fixed!

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Huntsville on

I agree with Meaghan H. You should take her to her doctor. I don't know the details, but my husband had a lazy eye when he was little. He had to have surgery to correct it.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from San Francisco on

I'm a vision researcher who works with pediatric ophthalmologists. What you are seeing is called "strabismus" (a misalignment of the eyes) which can lead to "amblyopia" (the brain begins to favor one eye over the other). There are many underlying causes which may (or may not) necessitate surgery. If amblyopia is present, a simple (but effective!) therapy is to patch the "good" eye for part of the day. This helps to strengthen the weaker eye. Not treating this condition can lead to a loss of depth vision (stereopsis) and acuity problems. Have your pediatrician refer to to a specialist soon. (And feel free to email me if you like). Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Modesto on

She may have ambyoplia, an eye condition also known as lazy eye. My suggestion is to find an eye doctor (not an optometrist) who is good with young children. The earlier it is caught the more correction can be provided. Sometimes children will have to wear special corrective lenses that help relieve the eye strain that is common with this condition. It may not affect your daughter's vision, but it definitely affects the muscles controlling the "lazy" eye. My son was diagnosed at the age of seven, and has had to wear glasses off and on, primarily when doing a lot of reading or computer work. He's fine. Good luck.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from San Francisco on

Yes, you definitely need to take her to an eye specialist. It can be corrected.



answers from San Francisco on

My daughter has the same thing! We have noticed it since she was in her first year of life & therefore went to an eye Dr. They said she has a mild form of 'exotropia' I found it on the web. Here is the link.
Our options were glasses, a patch a certain period of the day or do nothing & see if she grows out of it. At the time she was too young for any but do nothing but she still has it @ 25 months-although it is milder-we are going back in for a follow up & will probably end up choosing the glasses option now that she is old enough for me to explain it is not a choice & to be able to give her something special if she wears make a sticker chart or something like that that she can be rewarded for keeping them on...
The dr. did say it has nothing to do with the brain & it's function as far as intelligence. It is just cosmetic & bothers us at the parents more than the child. Hopefully the link I gave you has more info-I don't have time to read it all right now. Let me know what u find out-I don;t know anyone else with this issue. I would def. go to the eye Dr.


answers from San Francisco on

I had the same thing when I was little and ended up having eye surgery in 2nd grade. Unfortunately, I've been wearing glasses/contacts ever since, and I'm 33. I would definitely get her checked out by an optometrist and see what's going on.



answers from San Francisco on

I would get it looked at by an eye professional. There are some problems that can be corrected while the child is growing, and there is something called "vision therapy" that can sometimes help a lot for some conditions.
I have a son who is nearly blind in one eye and wears one contact, and a patch (when I can get him to wear it!). When he was very young he was strangely clumsy---it turned out to be because he had no depth perception because he only could see with one eye. But his eye didn't wander so we didn't find out until he was six when he failed a vision test.



answers from Sacramento on

Get a referral to a pediatric opthamologist asap. If she's got a lazy eye (amblyopia) you'll have a better chance for correction the earlier it's diagnosed and treated.
You can message me if I can help. We went through this with our daughter, who is now 6. Her eyes have dramatically improved.

Good luck!



answers from San Francisco on

It could be "lazy" eye, which is when one eye is not working the same way as the other. If you catch it early enough, I believe it can be fixed with a patch and/or drops.
My son has this, but since his eye was not turning out (as your daughter's seems to do), we did not discover it until his Kindergarten vision screening. His vision in one eye is perfect; the other eye is 150/20 . 200 is considered legally blind. If it's not taken care of (by glasses, for example), the "good" eye does all the work to compensate for the "bad" eye, and the bad eye will eventually stop working. My son will always have glasses now, as it is too late to correct it - but I'm just thankful we caught it now before it became even worse.

One other thing, I also had lazy eye when I was a baby, and my mom told me they were able to correct it with drops.



answers from Bakersfield on

Hi Momma-
I had a friend in Junior High that had that same issue. She wore glasses to correct it, and her parents also had to have her vision checked regularly because it was pretty bad. As an adult I have seen her wear contact lenses that correct the issue. It could be as simple as her eye being lazy and needing "training" or it could be a bad vision issue on top of that. Either way, get her vision checked as soon as you can and treat it like any other issue that you would. It's not the end of the world, but if you wait a long time, bad eyes can cause headaches, they can cause her to do poorly in school (when she gets there) because she cannot see, etc.
The key is not to freak out. The doctor may ask you to do some exercises with her to see if it helps improve the issue. Then, when she gets a little older, glasses may be in order.
I hope this helps!
Good luck, momma!
-E. M



answers from Dallas on

It sounds like either an eye-muscle imbalance, or rarely, brain tumors present with these symptoms.

I'd schedule a visit with your Pediatrician.




answers from New York on

Consult with an eye doctor because it can be corrected and it is better done when she is younger.



answers from Los Angeles on

You should definitely see a pediatric opthamologist. Things like this can be corrected much more easily the earlier you catch them.

K. - Labor Day Sale thru 9/7. New fall toys now available, too!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions