Low Earning Slip

Updated on December 07, 2010
J.M. asks from Brandon, FL
8 answers

My husband took a 5th pay cut last week. His full time job that had 40 hours went to 32 and now to 24 hours. I work 25 hours part time as I can't find a full time job with my degree. Anyways...I was told he could get a low earning slip to help with his pay. He asked the accounting dept at work and the man there said no they don't do that. I think the guy doesn't know what it is or the company doesn't want to give my husband a slip to take to the unemployment office. Has anyone ever heard of this? Maybe state to state it's different. I hope to hear some answers or maybe help someone else that didn't know about this either. Thanks!

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Joplin on

My husbands company did something like this when they had to make cut backs on hours...this was set up from within the company though, he did not have to go to Division of Family Services and apply or anything. I do think I would go to see if you can apply for any kind of assistance. If my husbands pay was cut I do not know how we would make ends meet. Good luck to you.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Honolulu on

Just have your Husband go to the unemployment office and ask them what the cut-off is for low wages... per qualifying for "unemployment."

It is up to the Unemployment office, per STATE laws about it, not your Husband's accounting office.
It is LAW... so just have your husband ask Unemployment what the income levels are in order to qualify... and IF his employer will NOT cooperate... with them and give you a low income slip... I believe, this is then, against the law....

Usually, per your Husband's pay-stubs... he can use THESE as "proof" of income/wages. That is usually what Unemployment asks for.... the Pay-Stubs... of the person. Your Husband I assume... has ALL his Pay-Stubs, right????

Tell your Husband do to his research and ask the Unemployment office himself.

all the best,

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Pittsburgh on

Unemployment! He can maybe open a claim since his hours have been cut by the company. They always ask in PA, are you willing and available for work? He is. The company might not like it, but he's gotta see what's available for him.
Also, can he consider finding a PT job eves/weekends? Or can you? That might help a lot. Good luck!



answers from Tampa on

I have been cut to just 3 hours a week and was told by the unemployment that there is no low income slip available. I even filed for unemployment and was told that I couldn't get any. So I guess the answer to your question is that his employer is right.


Florida does not have a low earning slip. I have been cut back to 3 hours a week and have tried to get unemployment. Here is what the man at the unemployment office told me. "Mam, Sorry to say this but you do not qualify for unemployment. We already have too many people drawing unemployment. My suggestion is to go and find another job. But if you were to be laid off and have worked for a full 40 hours a week for 10 weeks you can apply and recieve unemployment."



answers from New York on

It does vary from state to state. In most states partial unemployment benefits are available. Are you sure the company is required to give him a slip? Hubby should contact your local unemployment office. It may be a good idea to check out the website first, I know here in CT, people have had to wait over 2 hours on hold.



answers from Jacksonville on

Indiana calls it partial unemployment and you use it to supplement the loss of hours. I did this when my job had my hours different every week and only filed a claim if I worked less than 24 a week to help off set. I was a single mom of a toddler with a house payment so I needed every penny!!

I'm not sure what they call it in FL and he should be able to find out the the unemployment office or even online for the state. Here is a link that might give you more info about it. http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/uc_prog_stc_ee.html

If he can't get help this way, remember the programs you have paid into all these years by working like WIC and food stamps. Don't be embarrassed to see if your family qualifies for these things. You have paid into these programs with your tax dollars so why shouldn't you use them in a time of need right??!! You have a job and you won't be using it forever so there is no shame in taking care of you family. Free and reduced lunch if your children are school age is a great help too when you only have to pay 40 cents for lunch not almost 2.00!!! There is also a great food program called Angel Food Ministries. It is low cost food boxes and you don't have to be low income to use it. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ See if there is a local church in your area that does this. You'd be amazed at how much food you get for 30 bucks!!

Good luck and keep your head up!!



answers from Los Angeles on

IN CA you do not need anything from your employer it is up to them to contest. so you just go into the office and file for unemployment even if it is a reduction in wages or hours. Call the unemployment office and ask what he will need.



answers from Detroit on

In Michigan it is called underemplyment. I just had to do this as my 40 hour a week job was outsourced and to stay employed I went to another thet is only 28 hours a week. Have him call the unemployment office depending on what he makes now he may qualify.

Next question: I Think I'm Quitting! Eek