Kink in Neck

Updated on November 30, 2010
A.M. asks from Lake Wales, FL
13 answers

Hey Everyone,
I woke up this morning with a severe kink in my neck. Whenever I try to move my head I get pain down my shoulder and into my arm. I can't even lift my arm up to put my hair up in a ponytail. I have already taken ibuprofen and I am using a heating pad. What else can I do to help this go away? The pain is so bad it makes me nauseous when I move around. Please help!

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Charlotte on

A., I'm so sorry! You need a good chiropractor, especially one who has a massage therapist working in the same office. It will make a big difference.

Keep up with the ibruprophen. It helps with the swelling.

Thinking of you,

Edit My Answer
2 moms found this helpful

More Answers


answers from Dallas on

I always end up at the doc when this happens to me (4 times now over 10 yrs). They do an x-ray, find nothing and give meds. Then I go to the chiropractor to be adjusted four or five times. That helps so much faster than just the muscle relaxers. I also like ice for the pain instead of heat. Ice will reduce any swelling whereas heat causes expansion.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Atlanta on

I agree with the crowd. Get to a chiropractor today. If you don't know one, go to and find one in your area. This has a listing of those with an upper cervical specialty. That's my preference. Not only do they understand the spine but they also understand the immune system as well as the muscles. We use chiropractic as our primary healthcare.

Interview them just like you do a medical doctor. If they don't understand the immune system, you're in the wrong place.

Hope this helps!


1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

I have what you experience regularly...Get a massage asap! LOL! Believe me they will work wonders. A Chiro will help realign your neck and within a few days you will be back to a 100%

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Milwaukee on

I have had that same issue so I know your pain...literally See a chiropractor. They can work wonders!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Boca Raton on

I used to struggle with this constantly. Once I hurt my neck so badly I went to an orthopedic doctor. He could not do much for me physically except give me Celebrex (?). This was some time ago . . .

When my neck does this it usually takes a day for the sharp pain to subside. If I have torn it very badly it will take a couple of days.

One of the things that helped me the most was to get a Tempurpedic pillow. The doctor told me to sleep with my head level to the pillow - NOT propped up on 3-4 pillows which is what I used to do. When I would go to turn in the middle of the night I would put all that pressure/body weight on that small area, which is what would cause the strain. When I lay level with the pillow I'm forced to use my arms to turn over.

The other thing that helped me was to do neck and arm exercises to strengthen those shoulder and neck muscles.

Good luck - what a MAJOR pain - I can truly empathize with you.



answers from Miami on

First of all, stop using heat. You need to ice it. Secondly, ibuprofen is ideal to use, so keep taking it as indicated on the bottle. Thirdly, it's not likely this will correct itself so you will need to see a Chiropractor. Many people would rather deal with it until it mends itself but I am speaking from personal experience when I say this: Why be tortured with this pain when you can go to the Chiropractor, get a little adjustment and feel better in a couple of days instead of a week or longer. I have a misaligned spine from a car accident years ago. I woke up one day about 4 years ago in the condition you are in. The pain was excruciating! I couldn't move my neck and I did everything you tried...and more: heat, Motrin, hot showers, massage from my husband. Finally, my sister, who is a R.N. told me to see a Chiropractor. An x-ray showed I had a pinched nerve...all the things I had been doing would NOT have made me better. I endured pain for a week! Chiropractor twisted my neck this way and that way, twisted my spine to the left and to the right and in 24 hours I felt better! I now go to the Chiropractor once a month, primarily because my problem is going to be a lifelong problem for me. For you, it very well may be just this one time but the Chiropractor is your best option!



answers from Minneapolis on

Use an icy hot patch, helps take away the pain of a kinked neck for me almost every time.

Good luck!



answers from Miami on

you need to see a good chiropractor! I go to Dr.Peter Alongi on Commercial blvd and Lyons rd in Fort Lauderdale. He is a miracle worker!


answers from Dallas on

Go to a chiropractor if you can get a recommendation from someone in your area.



answers from Dallas on

A massage should help that. Some places have the chair massages that are inexpensive and great for neck and shoulder relief. Chiro would help too.



answers from Orlando on

Go see a good chiropractor asap. I had something similar happen a couple months ago, and it was a miracle worker. It took a few trips to truly get it back to normal, but even after the first adjustment I could feel a big difference.



answers from Miami on

Things like acupuncture/acupressure, craniosacral therapy, reflexology, reiki, massage, and hypnosis/guided imagery can help. Those can actually shift and release things so that your body's nervous system actually stops creating the pain.

Next question: Neck Pain for a Week?