Induction - New York,NY

Updated on April 13, 2009
C.G. asks from New York, NY

i am 40 wks with #2. first one came smoothly on my due date a few years ago. my Md wants to induce on tues . in the end, decision is mine, as no medical complications just some painful sciatica for several weeks which has rendered me helpless and in discomfort on the couch. having had this before, i know it was relieved once baby came. i hear mostly negative about induction. opinions? thanks

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

thanks all for helpful information and experiences. i ended up going into labor the day before on easter so induction was not an issue. a healthy baby boy! however, due to mass breakdown of communication, i ended up delivering without the benefits of an epidural. it fell out when i leaned over and got sick...i feel like a war hero. happy its over. thx again..

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

L.L.

answers from New York on

My only concern would be that inductions have a greater risk of ending in C-sections. I was induced at 37 weeks for medical reasons and was hoping to give birth vaginally but in the end I had to have a c-section and I think that it was due to the induction. Babies don't like being forced to do something on someone else's timeframe.

K.H.

answers from New York on

I have 3 kids and I was induced with my third. I was afraid to be induced but I gotta tell ya - I wish all of them had been induced. I had no problems with the pitocin and the labor pains were the same as my other 2 kids. Go for it. Good luck!!!! Congrats!!!!!

S.C.

answers from New York on

Hi, C. --

As you can see from the varied responses, there are as many different reasons for an induced labor as there are pregnant mommies. My OB recommended induction because my daughter was 5 days past her due date and because I had a small pelvic region he was concerned about her getting too big to pass through vaginally. He did not believe in C-sections unless there was an emergency, so the induction was meant to prevent that. Induction does indeed make labor more intense because it speeds it up...my contractions started at 10:30 AM and I was fully dilated and ready to start pushing at 9:00 PM. My daughter was born 90 minutes later...12 hours, start to finish -- not bad for a first-time delivery. I had absolutely no complications and because I was hooked up to every possible monitor during my entire labor and delivery it was completely safe. In the end, induction was the right thing to do in my case to avoid a C-section. Had my daughter been just a couple of ounces larger, I would have needed one.

As with any medical procedure, induction carries risks. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and see if you can arrive at a mutually benefical decision. Congrats and good luck!

A.B.

answers from New York on

My water broke and then nothing. No contractions baby still moving. That happened at 10am and doc said if I didn't have contractions by 8pm that night I would be induced and I was. The only uncomfortable thing was the contractions didn't come on slowly they hit me like a mac truck but from induction to birth was 14 hrs. If your babe is just hanging out till he/she is ready to come hang on a couple more days unless something medically changes. The due date is usually off anyway they use their charts based on last period but I knew day of conception and that would have put me at Dec 16, my son was born the 14th and the doc's chart said Dec 28. Good luck and congrats!

S.R.

answers from Albany on

Congrats on baby #2! Just as every pregnancy is different, every labor/delivery is different. I happen to have been induced with BOTH of my boys (9 days after due date with the first, and the day before my due date with the second). Even though I had the same procedures done to induce my labor, I had two very different birthing experiences.

The second time around was nerve wracking because I had been through it before, and anticipated it being the same. However, because my body knew what to do the second time, it all went much smoother!

In both cases, I had a 9 lb. baby boy (1st one was bigger, at 9lb. 5 oz.).

I had the Pitocin and had my water broken both times, but they were done in different orders.

1st time, I was started on Pit., then had my water broken when I got a bit farther along. 2nd time, I went in at 3 cm, so they broke my water first to see if I could get into a regular contraction pattern on my own. That didn't happen, so a little while later, they started the Pit.

In my first labor, ds was in posterior position, so I had AWFUL back labor. The second time around, ds#2 was also posterior, but turned early enough that I wasn't plotting to rip out my own spine.

In fact, my second delivery was sooo beautiful that I can't wait to do it again! It was the birth that I think most women dream of.

So, do you go for the induction? That really depends on your current level of discomfort. You can tell yourself all you want that it will all be over soon, but sometimes your body just doesn't know how to kick itself into gear! I was only induced the second time because I was in so much discomfort that I just couldn't take it anymore. I had sciatica pain & extreme swelling, but no hypertension or other issues.

Best of luck to you, and congrats again on #2!

F.C.

answers from New York on

To avoid induction, try having sex, a warm bath, spicy food...anything that will start contractions. I also believe in letting baby devide when to emerge, as long as baby is healthy + growing (nort too big).
Good luck! Maybe u can call a doula for advice to start labor naturally. Doula.org

D.S.

answers from New York on

Hey C.,

I was 11 days late with both of my children and had bloody shows with both of them and a very slow start to labor. With both kids my labor never progressed so I was induced after a few hours in the hospital when nothing was happening. I had no complications except it really brought me into hard labor right away and I didn't have time to physically or mentally build up to the pain. I went natural with both (wouldn't recommend it with Pitocin) so it was difficult in that respect. I would do it again with the exception of I would make sure that I had an Epidural hooked up at the same time. I would go to full dilation within 45 minutes OUCH!! It hurts just thinking about it. There is no need to experience that much pain if you don't have to. I think the decision is up to you if your baby is not in any distress and you are comfortable then wait it out. I WAS one of those moms who just wanted to get on with it. After being 11 days late in the summer I wanted to get the show on the road but that's me I am a bit impatient LOL!! Good luck to you and your beautiful family.

R.W.

answers from Albany on

Hi C.: congrats.!!! I was induce after my water broke on my due date and had a normal vaginal birth. I didn't realize though alot of induction lead to c-sections. I don't know about you,but the though of it was scary to me. If there is no medical reason for induction, I would tell them no,no,no thank you. Its your baby, have it on your schedule, not the doctors. Its my opinion and all but child birth has been happing since the beginning of time, alot of the medical intervention is not necessary.

T.W.

answers from New York on

C.,
I had an induction with my last one and the only problem I had was the nurse increased the drip rate on the Pitocin causing my contractions to come to quick. This was resolved by reducing it and I was fine. I did deliver my son without any pain blockers and let me tell you, it was well worth it. I had had 3 c-sections and then 2 natural births and wish I could do it again but I had to have a hysterectomy a few years ago.
Hugs,

C.R.

answers from Syracuse on

I had to laugh(at myself)when I read your request because I've had 5 babies and when people ask me about going into labor I always have to say I don't because I never did (on my own) all 5 of my babies were induced...it's rather nice knowing that I was going to have a baby on a certain day...
as for pain well it's all relative but when they started my induction they also started my epi...that's because my labors are so quick(one contraction and they're catching my babies)...but for the first 2 no epi and I lived to do it again :) When they say that they want to strip your membranes(if they do) don't be fooled by the "this will be a little uncomfortable"...it hurts like sin!! but it doesn't last long(and with someones hand up there how wouldn't it) anyway for all 5 I had over all good experiences and like every other mother in the world the moment you hold baby all discomfort is worth it!

A.C.

answers from New York on

Both my kids were born by induced births, the first one a week late and the second one a week early (he stopped moving which he never did and the doctor said he was ok but we decided to do it anyway). I had no problems with either induction and would easily do it again if necessary. The first one it actually took a while to work as we started and I was only 1.5 cm but then it went quickly, the second one I was alrready almost 4 so they hooked me up said go get your epidural if you want and he was born only a few hours later. Both kids were fine and it was all ok. GOOD LUCK, hope all goes smoothly and quickly.

E.S.

answers from New York on

I had been in labor overnight in the hospital, and by morning I had dialated only 4 centimeters. I was told I had to be at least 5 centimeters in order for me to stay in the hospital longer. So,I was given a choice to either go home ( and come back again later) or to stay and be induced. I just wanted to get the whole thing over with as soon as possible, so chose to be induced, which took effect very quickly. There was no gradual increasing of labor pains, but instead rapid intense labor pains, and an hour later, by natural childbirth, my 3rd healthy baby was born. I was glad to get the painful birthing over faster!

K.R.

answers from New York on

Hi!! Congrats!! :-) I'm not sure if this counts as being induced but I was only 37 wks when I had a bloody show and went to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors and found that I was having contractions. Doc checked me and I was 5 centi. Dilated. So what they did after a few hours was break my water and give me pitocin to speed up the contractions and make them stronger. I have my daughter 6 hours later. It wasn't that bad. Pitocin definitely make the contractions stronger and a little harder to deal with but it wasn't that bad. In your case, since everything is ok, I would wait since everything seems to be ok. Hope this helps. :-). Please let me know the outcome.

M.T.

answers from New York on

Neither the American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists nor the World Health Organization recommend non-medical inductions, so this is likely why you hear negative things! Inducing for non-medical reasons is not risk-free, using pitocin has risks, the most prominent being uterine rupture and fetal distress, which is why you are twice as likely to end up with a cesarean section if you've been induced than if you hadn't.
ACOG states that there's no evidence that routine induction improves outcomes before 42 weeks.
You asked for opinions, as a childbirth educator for 12 years and a mom of 2, I would never have chosen a lets-just-get-it-over-with induction.
Good luck whatever you decide!

M.F.

answers from New York on

If you and the baby are not in distress, why mess with mother nature? My first child was born on his due date, my second was 3 weeks "Late" (do we know exactly when we conceive?), my third 10 days "late".

Do what your heart tells you to do.

E.M.

answers from New York on

NO INDUCTIONS!! Less than 10% of them are medically necessary and though it may be painful, sciatica is not on the list. Let your baby tell you when he/she is ready to make an entrance to the world. Just because the U.S. is extremely cavalier about using Pitocin does NOT mean it is safe for mother OR child.
Maybe your doctor has a vacation coming up?

A.S.

answers from Rochester on

I never wanted to induce because my understanding is that pitocin, the medicine that induces labor CAN be more painful than natural labor pains. Plus, if you wanted a natural childbirth without any drugs...inducing labor is a slippery slope - once you induce, more painful contractions, then you'll want more drugs, get an epidural, etc...

It's your decision...best of luck!
A.

C.E.

answers from New York on

I was induced for my first and was supposed to be for my second but he came on his own. After having both experiences I have to say the labor pains were SO, SO much more painful when I was induced. If the baby is fine and not in disstress HOLD OUT! I could no believe how much easier my labor was when it came naturally. Good luck!!

R.Q.

answers from New York on

If there are no complications right now, I wouldn't rush it. Your baby will come when s/he's ready. My daughter was born 2 weeks and 2 days past her "due date" and was just right.

K.T.

answers from New York on

I was induced - my first child - doctor said that he was gonna be big so we went with the due date. Turns out when they got me settled in the hospital and hooked me up to everything I was already having contractions on my own (that I could not feel apparently) and didn't know i was in the beginning of labor already! Anyway - I had the induction and I have to say i thought it wasn't so terrible. I didn't take any pain meds until I was 7cm, and finally agreed to an epidural when it was time to push. My sciatica was hurting too as well as horrendous heartburn which was immediately relived upon delivery. The part I liked best about the induction was when they gave me the pain meds at 7cm, they were able to slow down the drip and relieve some of my discomfort until the meds kicked in so I could rest up for the pushing part.

I know people sometimes say how painful the labor is for an induction, but never having had any children and he being my first baby, it really wasn't so terrible. If you are ready to deliver, I'd say go for it.

Best of luck!

K.J.

answers from New York on

Congratulations on baby #2! My first one was 9 days late and we were preparing to induce if he didn't arrive by 42 weeks. Thankfully, that wasn't the case, but my doctor told me that after 42 weeks things begin to breakdown in the womb (lining, etc) so it was in the best interest of the baby to induce AFTER 42 weeks. You've got some time - I'd wait a little longer.
I'm pregnant with my second now (due in 3 weeks) and hoping I won't have to be induced with this one. I'm sorry I don't have the actual experience to give advice on, but I'm glad you asked because I'm petrified that I'll need to be induced (as I've heard things too) and I'm looking forward to the responses to your question.
Best of luck with your new little one :o)

A.P.

answers from New York on

I was induced with each of my 3 children because I was so dilated and effaced that my doctor feared I would give birth in a parking lot. Basically the doctor broke my water each time, and started very little pitossin. Each baby came normally as if labor happened on its own. The first was born at 39-1/2 weeks in 5 hours, the last was at 38 weeks and in 20 minutes.
Good luck to you on Tuesday. There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

J.M.

answers from New York on

C.-
I was planning on inducing with my second--scheduled and all, but she came a few days early. My MD said i could becasue it was ny 2nd--they would not have done it with the 1st--but since my body had been through it all already it was fine to do. It's gonna hurt no matter what--might as well schedule it so you can coordinate where your 1st will be and you can be prepared! Good luck

B.C.

answers from New York on

What is the reason for the suggested induction? Any concern that the placenta may detach or that it's not producing the necessary nutrients to feed the baby? Any problems with the baby? Has the baby stopped growing? I was induced exactly on my due date only because the doctor thought the baby stopped growing. The baby ended up being larger than they estimated in an ultrasound, so the induction was not necessary. I didn't respond well to the drugs and had to have a c-section. It was fine, but I said to myself next time I'm waiting for the baby to come out on her own, unless it would be risky. The decision is yours, follow your instincts!

S.D.

answers from New York on

Not all complications show in a sonogram. I was just about 41 weeks with my 1st with no reason to be concerned. My placenta detached and I delivered a stillborn baby girl. We all search for these great doctors we trust and then question them the second they say something that doesn't fit into our "plan". If your doctor is suggesting an induction I'm sure it's not to make his/her life easier and it's based on their professional opinion. You should consider it strongly.

D.R.

answers from New York on

hi C., i had to be induced with all 3 of mine for different reasons, they were all biiig though. i had mixed experiences. the only thing i will say is that you might want to ask about getting cervadil inserted instead of pictocin, at least to try it first. it kind of kick starts your body into doing it on its own. takes longer than pictocin, but is more "natural". its not so harsh, and that was with my first, it should be better since this is your second. ...and if you do get pictocin, ***get the epidural first***. they shouldnt be allowed to give pictocin without the epidural, no matter what the derranged mother thinks she wants (believe me, i know what i am talking about!!) best of luck to you!
oh, and by the way, my 3rd was induced about 2 weeks early, i was sooooo against it, but did it anyway. turned out, not only was he 9 lbs 5 oz, but the cord was in a big knot. so inducing him may have saved him. if you have faith in your doc, go with it, i think things usually happen for a reason.

Y.B.

answers from New York on

I was induced after being 10 days late & I too was nervous, having heard a lot if negative things & very few positive things. However, I had a VERY positive experience & in the end, I'm glad I was induced & I think that I would want to be induced again in the future. I don't know if you want an epidurral or not but I had one very soon after being induced & I never felt a contraction during my 18 hours of labor. I found that being induced calmed me being in the hospital as it all started.

Good luck & feel free to contact me with any questions.

N.J.

answers from New York on

I was induced and had a great experience. I also was trying acupuncture so that I would go into labor on my own. You may want to try accupuncture as well if it is an option for you.

K.L.

answers from New York on

I was induced with my son and it was a very positive experience! I didn't ask for an epidural right away so I could move around. The contractions weren't horrendous as I had heard from people in the past. I was about 4 hours in when I had my epidural and then smooth sailing. I delivered my son at 5pm (induction was at 8am)...so not in labor for hours and hours as some have said! Good luck!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us