I Am 14 Years Old I Have Sever Knee and Leg Pain and It Keeps Me Awake All Night

Updated on February 15, 2018
T.S. asks from Elizabethtown, KY
11 answers

pain gets so bad that I cant walk or stand and I have been to a doctor and all they give me is pain killers and send me home. Dose anyone have a clue what could be going on ?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers


answers from Santa Fe on

You should go see an orthopedist. (Honestly, if the orthopedist doesn't help you should also go see a rheumatologist to rule out juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. I'm guessing it is not this because JRA will switch from one leg to the other, one knee to the other.) The orthopedist is a specialist who will try to find out what is wrong and why you are having pain. Both my kids have had to go to an orthopedist...my son was having foot pain and had to wear a "boot" for a couple weeks and then do exercises. Another time he had tweaked his knee and we were given instructions on what to do to get it to heal. My daughter had inflamed growth plates in her heel once which you eventually outgrow but they had her ice it and wear gel pads in her shoes.

More Answers


answers from Norfolk on

Tell your parents or guardians so they take you to a doctor.
I have no idea.
You are a bit on the old side for growing pains.
Rheumatologists are specialists in arthritis and diseases that involve bones, muscles and joints.
Maybe you should see one and find out what the specialist can tell you.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

Welcome to mamapedia.

You need to see an orthopedic doctor. You need to have your mom and/or dad stand up for you and fight for you. They've taken you to the doctor, now they need to say "ENOUGH with the pain killers - TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON!!" and that means seeing an Orthopedic doctor who specializes in knees and bones.

You need to be VERY specific about the pain.
WHERE does it start? Show the doctor - the pain starts at my knee and radiates up (if that's what happens)
WHEN does it start - is it ONLY when you are sleeping? Do your legs start moving on their own? If so - that COULD be Restless Leg Syndrome - in which case, you'll need a blood test to find out if you are low in magnesium and potassium.

PLEASE be specific about your pain - no one can help you if you just say "I have severe pain at my knee only at night"

You could have juvenile arthritis. Again more tests.

Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Atlanta on

you need to describe the pain to the doctors and your parents.

Please ask to see an Orthopedic doctor. You may also need to see a neurologist if you have something called RLS: Restless Leg Syndrome. My 2nd son had this issue. We had blood tests done to find out what his body was missing. Once we got that figured out? He was better!




answers from Anchorage on

Have they done an Xray to check for arthritic changes? Some people that is only for the old but mine started in my late teens and my youngest has had a form of juvenile arthritis since he was 2. Ask for an X-ray.


answers from New York on

Your Dr didn't do anything but give pain meds??!? I would of flipped my lids on that. No one tells my child to just take pain killers without ruling out injury, and using diagnostic tools to determine the cause. Your dr needs to Diagnose this. Not painkiller it and ignore. Tell your parents you need to see a dr thats willing to find out what is really going on.



answers from Miami on

Could be a sports injury or some other health issue like lupus, a cyst, torn ligaments, or tendinitis, excessive weight putting strain on the knees... I have joint pains in my knees from calcium crystal deposits, dehydration can cause symptoms like the ones you mentioned, as well as vitamin deficiencies, or poor diets involving a lot of salt. I'd ask for testing, like x-rays, because giving you pain killers will either damage your liver or turn you into an addict totally dependent on pain meds for life.



answers from Portland on

If it's an inflammation they will give you something like Advil (pain relief and anti-inflammatory) and tell you to rest your leg. Is this one leg?

If it's more they will send you for x-rays. If they're not exploring to your/your parent's satisfaction, ask your parents to get a second opinion.



answers from San Francisco on

I had some experience with this when my son was your age. Do you ever have a break from the pain? How long have you had it? There is such a thing as pain signals that get trapped in your brain, kind of like a pain loop that can't go away. You might want to try some biofeedback therapy to retrain your brain to not feel the pain. Also, if you have not been able to sleep for a while, you might want to try some sleep aids -- even Tylenol PM might help -- being able to sleep is a necessary ingredient to helping your brain reset itself.

You might want to try a Pediatric Neurologist.


answers from Boston on

Get your parents, grandparents, or guardian to take you to another doctor. Talk to the school nurse if you need an advocate.

Restless leg syndrome comes to mind - it can be really painful but there are things that can be done for it. But there are other conditions that should be looked at too, with lots of treatments available. It's not up to us to diagnose you.

Don't panic but get it taken care of - you should not be just taking pain pills.



answers from Chicago on

Have they taken x-rays to rule out anything? My daughter is going to be 19. When she was in 3rd grade she started having knee pain. They took x-rays and it showed a little extra bone but that was it. 2 years ago she was finally diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. Physical therapy helped a little but since she is still growing, she will still have pain. You need to ask your parents to push to really have it checked out. Regardless of the cause, you are having pain bad enough to require pain killers.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions