My 5 yr. old grand daughter still takes a tippy cup of chocolate milk with her to bed. I guess I have questions:
1. Does she still need to suck? Is that why she wants the cup with a valve instead of a cup with a straw?
2. Is she just thirsty?
3. Have you tried giving her her chocolate milk while having the bedtime routine then brushing her teeth and going to bed?
1. If she needs to suck she will find something to suck, be it a thumb, a finger, a pillow corner, a toy, etc....it is much easier to deal with a tippy cup then it is to take away a thumb or finger.
2. Let her have plenty of fluids in the evening as long as it doesn't effect her wetting the bed.
3. This works for us. Try talking to her and tell her she can have chocolate milk in a regular cup and then she can have water in her tippy cup.
The "up side" of this is that she will eventually give it up on her own. I don't have a problem with kids having bottles or tippy cups with anything they want in them until they are ready to give them up. I would rather deal with that instead of having a 12 year old who sucks their fingers and make their jaw deformed because they developed a bad habit from my decisions.