Home Speech Therapsts/tutors for a 5 y.o.?

Updated on February 04, 2008
A.A. asks from Glendale, AZ
5 answers

Hi was just wondering if anyone has used a home tutor/speech therapist for preschooler?
If so where did you find them or can you refer someone.
My 5 y.o could really use the help and I really do not want to put him in a special class.
Thank you

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Phoenix on

Has he been evaluated by your school district? If he qualifies for speech services, they should offer you speech therapy only, not a special education setting, and make sure you push for therapy only. I work in a school district as a speech therapist for preschoolers and that is what we offer for our kiddos who only qualify for speech services. Most insurance carriers don't cover speech therapy. good luck




answers from Phoenix on

Is your son in kindergarten yet? If so, he should be able to receive speech therapy at school, if necessary. If he is not yet in school, but still really needs speech, you can go through your school district. If he qualifies to receive services, you'll most likely take him in for 30-60 minutes a week, depending on his needs. If he doesn't qualify for state funded services, you can always do private speech, either in a clinic, or some therapists do home-based therapy.

I am a speech therapist, so I don't know much about tutoring, just speech. I'm not on here very often, so feel free to email me if you have any more questions. Hope this helps!
K. Danziger [email protected]____.com


answers from Phoenix on

I too had the same issue however, my daughter was 3 yrs old speaking at a 1-1/2 yr level due to ear infections she had reversed her "K" & "D"'s talk about hard to understand and trust me that did not stop her from talking (LOL)

It was suggested by a friend to try the school districts since all schools are required to have help in place. We happened to live in the Washington School District and Sweewater Elementary was just the place. My in-law's were beside themselves with the thought that all the other children were going to slow her down, but it actually went the other way around she helped the others excel. They were great within one year she was only 1/2 year delayed and she continued to improve. Now she has a Masters in School Counseling and is working on her MBA.

My point to all of this is first check with your school district since they are required by law to help and if you decided to add extra speak counseling then it certainly can't hurt, but you probably wont need it. By the way I too also had a lisps you know slur the "s" and my school put me in speak therapy. Fight for you and your child's rights and save your money on other important things. I wish you all the best!



answers from Phoenix on

I had to find someone for my son as well. I had tried a couple therapists who came to my home, but did not see any change in him. They came for about 1 hour each week, which just didn't do it for him. When he was 3 I took him to the school district for testing. He was placed in one of their programs- 2 days a week for 30 min each. He was either one on one with the teacher or had one other child who was with them. This worked phenominally for him. It made quite a difference. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I dont know if your district has a program like this for a 5 year old. Is he in Kindergarten this year? It is worth checking out. I was amazed at how much better this free program was compared to the in-home ones that I was paying for!



answers from Phoenix on

My son has speech therapy at Scottsdale Fiesta Pediatric Therapy. His therapists are absolutely great. The practice has one of the best reputations in the valley. You do have to go to their office (Shea near Tatum) for sessions. (I wasn't sure if you were wanting someone to come to your home, or were just looking for an alternative to in-school therapy.) I believe you need a referral for an evaluation, then you may have to wait for an opening. Speech therapists are in very high demand and very short supply. Best of luck. Their phone # is ###-###-####.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches