Help with Addvice

Updated on February 10, 2008
V.L. asks from Hollywood, FL
4 answers

I live in Hollywood,I am living with a man who refuses to work,we are getting evicted.I need a place to stay for a short time while I go back to work and get on my feet.I am working with a social worker who keeps telling me,I should go to a shelter,I don't want to go to a shelter with my baby(she is 2 and a perfect baby)Does anyone have any advice or know of anyone who would take us in for about a month?I am a Christian Mom 43 years old I'm willing to help out with house work or anything.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Orlando on

I will say a special prayer for you and your little one. I can only imagine all the stress and emotions you are going through right now. Hold on to your faith and know that it will get you through this rough patch and that you will be stronger because of it.
While I don't know of any place specific I thought I would suggest some ideas. First off, you might check with your church. Surely someone who knows you there will feel comfortable to help. Otherwise a Woman's Shelter wouldn't be so bad. I found one on line that is just for women and their children. I pasted the info for you below. The number is ###-###-####.
I wish you the best. And prayers go out to you.

The Center is a haven for homeless women and children, and provides emergency overnight shelter as well as a long-term recovery program. The 40-bed facility located at 2250 NW 1st Avenue in Miami.

A.W.A.R.E.N.E.S.S. (A Woman's Answer Regarding Education, Nurture, Encouragement, Self-esteem and Salvation) is a 10 month program based on Jeremiah 29:11. The program is designed to help women become aware of God's plan for them.

The program includes classes on parenting skills, adult living skills, budgeting, nutrition and health concerns. Other areas addressed are, education, conflict resolution, decision making and all the women are involved in group and/or individual counseling. Spirituality is addressed on a daily basis. In addition, there is a strong focus on building a positive attitude, communication skills, dependability , honesty and courtesy. Employment skills and computer literacy are also an important focus in the program.

In the Year 2000, the Center for Women and Children provided 8,616 bed nights of shelter for homeless women and families. They served an average of 2,109 meals a month at this facility alone.

The emergency overnight shelter as well as a long term recovery program are available free of charge.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Miami on

Dear V.,

I will also pray for you. You don't say whether you are being abused either physically or emotionally, but if so, then you could contact Women in Distress. They help women get out of abusive situations and provide temporary housing for women and their children. The website is:

They have a 24 hour hotline number also: 1-800-500-1119.

Please make your next step for your sake and your daughters'. God bless you.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Miami on

You don't have any family or friends that you could stay with for a little while? even if you need to move away for a bit?!? Being a social worker, the thing I would fear most is that you would become homeless or provide unstable housing for your child and your child be removed from can and has happened. I can think of The Providence Place, i think thats what its called off of Oakland Park Blvd. Also try Women in Distress or Susan b. Anthony. You can call First Call for Help and they can give you different places to check. They have a regular 10digit number which i can't remember off the top of my head, or I think you can dial 211 from your land line. If you're not working, start looking for work. Place your child at a daycare go through Family Central if You need assistance and fend for yourself. Obviously the man you are with doesn't care so much about the best interest of the child or you if he's willing to let everyone suffer as such. You need to focus on yourself and providing stability for your child and bettering your life, as she is looking at you as the person who will teach her right from wrong and how life should be, and that she can count on you to protect her and do what's in her best interest. I'll will pray for you guys and hope that everything works out for you. keep faith, remember that it might get tougher before it gets better.



answers from Miami on


Do you have a car? I need someone to live in my home and help out with my daughter (get her up, fed breakfast and take her to school every morning) and around the house. I work very early in the morning, and leave the house by 5am, so I need someone responsible here.

If you're still looking for a place, and can help in the way I need it, this could work.

You can email me at [email protected]


For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions