Has Anyone Had Their 6 Month Old Have to Run Everything Against Their Mouth?

Updated on August 23, 2019
B.M. asks from Richmond, IN

This isn't like the normal putting everything thing into his mouth type of thing. My son insists on rubbing hisouth on everything even floors when the texture changes.

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

H.M.

answers from Dallas on

My kids would put anything and everything in their mouths if they didn't have their pacifiers in their mouth. My oldest liked to chew on his stuffed monkey's tail. But like B said he could be teething. My oldest cut teeth at 3 months and my youngest probably about 5 or 6 months. You might want to give him something that he can put in his mouth that is ok to have in his mouth when he tired to do that.

B.C.

answers from Norfolk on

Long ago where I was growing up we had a neighbor with a 6 month old and her mom freaked out when the baby popped a live caterpillar into her mouth.
6 months is prime time for teething to start up - it might be part of it - so try some textured teething rings for him to chew on.

Our son had a vibrating turtle toy (slap the back and it would vibrate and play a tune for awhile) and he was always chewing on it while it vibrated - it made his gums feel better.

https://www.thebump.com/a/best-teething-toys

M.G.

answers from Portland on

That sounds familiar although it's been forever. I think one of mine may have been a bit like that (not the floor bit but mouthing things not just putting in mouth)

*I was going to say (like B and Heidi) that the teething aspect seems familiar.

I remember kids mouthing things like coffee tables and the like, like just gumming them. Seems to me we knew of a kid (this goes way back) that was kind of suction cupped to things.

Just mention it next visit to pediatrician if you have concerns. One of mine though looked like would chomp through blocks, etc. at times.

M.P.

answers from Portland on

Do you mean he rubs things around his mouth on the inside or outside?

N.Z.

answers from Los Angeles on

If you think it’s something beyond “normal” mouthing, he might have a sensory issue. Just keep an eye on it and speak to your pediatrician at your next appointment if you’re still concerned about it by then. Infants change so much during the first year — he might outgrow it.

S.T.

answers from Washington DC on

yes, both my babies went through phases when teething where they went beyond nomming their teething toys and went full blown zombie attack on anything they could get their chops on.
khairete

D..

answers from Miami on

Six month olds seek sensory input. It’s a normal behavior, though you may not think how he does it is normal. Feed this need by giving him age appropriate playthings that are okay to do this with. Talk to the ped and ask if you need a referral to an OT for sensory advice if you want. It couldn’t hurt. My guess is that the ped will tell you to wait.

*.*.

answers from New London on

I would ask pediatric occupational therapist. Kinda sounds like your baby is sensory seeking.

Updated

N.K.

answers from Miami on

Why don't you ask your pediatrician? He/she would be the best person to assess as to whether or not this is normal and requires further investigation, or not.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us