GYN Or Urgent Care?

Updated on February 28, 2011
M.G. asks from Fairfield, CA
8 answers

Hi all I've had my period for 2+ weeks. My cycle has lasted for 2 weeks for the past 4 years with an occasional month where it only lasts a week. When I went for my yearly pap last year my gyn said that I am fine other than my cycles being quite long. She recommended I get on an IUD. I declined being that I tied my tubes 4 years ago and the costs to do it would be immense yes even with my insurance. Now I'm starting to rethink my choice. Since my current cycle is going abnormally long for me where would be the best place to go? Back to my GYN or perhaps to an urgent care clinic? Something different? I'm open ears to all your thoughts and suggestions.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Chicago on

I'd reccommend going to a different gynocologist to get a second opinion. The doctors at urgent care are there to treat people who cannot get into their regular drs and you may be sent to a gynocologist anyway. That being said, I'd want a second opinion because that is a long time to be having those kinds of periods. I was opposite of you and went for a long time in between. Turns out I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and what you are experiencing can also be a symptom of PCOS. It is worth talking to another person who is an expert on this particular area.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from St. Louis on

Find another OB/GYN, he/she should be able to help you.
On another hand, I used to have long periods also, and my OB/GYN gave me specific b/c pills that have helped me a lot with the problem; however, you need to know what exactly is your problem before doing anything. Again, find another ob/gyn.
Take care!



answers from Chicago on

Call your gynecologist's office and set up an appointment. He/she knows your health history and you have a relationship with them. An urgent care center is for urgent needs and, unless you're experiencing other not exactly but close to life-threatening symptoms that require, well, urgent care, you would be best served by a specialist who knows your history. If you're dissatisfied with your current gyn, you should definitely ask for a second opinion.


answers from Minneapolis on

Get a 2nd opinion from another OBGyn. Ask them about Novasure (uterine ablation) since it sounds like you are done having kids (tubes tied).

Depending on how they submit your paperwork to day surgery and to insurance, it can be covered but for maybe a $100-$200 hospitalization "co-pay" Really really really depends on your coverage and how clearly your OBGyn states that it is medically necessary.



answers from Dallas on

It could be different where you live, but Urgent Care clinics here don't deal with IUDs. I would most definitely go back to your OB.


answers from Dover on

GYN as they are going to be better to handle your particular situation and they should know your history.

What about birth controls to make your periods regular? It's worth a dicussion w/ your doctor.



answers from New York on

I would definitely go back to your GYN. However, many people have had the opposite problem with IUD - constant spotting or long periods. I know one side effect is supposed to be shorter/lighter periods, but that isn't the case for all women.

Good luck.



answers from Pittsburgh on

I'd go back to my OB/GYN.

Good luck!


I'd go back to my OB/GYN.

Good luck!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions